Best High School Program in Southeast Ohio

Moderator: SEOP Mods

Re: Best High School Program in Southeast Ohio

Postby Jimmy the Greek » July 10th, 2009, 2:53 pm

What about North Adams or Beaver Eastern? Just a question....I know they won their share of games in the past. Portsmouth is #1 and Burg #2 based on overall stats. Since the year 2000 who would be your top 10?
Jimmy the Greek
SEO

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby boilermaker » July 10th, 2009, 8:09 pm

I would have to say the Berlin Roads Pollcats ,by far! They have never lost a game yet. :!:
boilermaker
SEOP

Postby Keyser_soze78 » July 10th, 2009, 8:42 pm

boilermaker....That's funny! :lol: But have they since dropped "Berlin" and it just goes by "Roads" now since that is what the signs say? :lol: :mrgreen:
Keyser_soze78
SEOP

Postby boilermaker » July 10th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Yes Keyser they have ,but I'm old school and they are still Berlin to me. :lol:
boilermaker
SEOP

Postby Kenny Bixx » July 10th, 2009, 9:51 pm

boilermaker wrote:I would have to say the Berlin Roads Pollcats ,by far! They have never lost a game yet. :!:

This tread is about the best programs in SE Ohio. Where is Berlin and if its that trashy cross road south of Wellston why would anyone care. Wellston and there coach are a bunch of cheaters.
Kenny Bixx
S

Postby boilermaker » July 11th, 2009, 7:29 am

Lighten up Kenny ,,dont be so envious of those Rockets. Assumming you are VC ,you get a little Rocket water every day.
boilermaker
SEOP

Postby hawkeyepierce » July 11th, 2009, 8:55 am

Boilermaker, I live in McArthur and do not purchase water from Wellston. As matter of fact I do not purchase anything from Wellston at all. As long as Wellston remains in its current state, I refuse to patronized the business of Wellston. I am a proud consumer of Vinton County businesses, and sometimes frequent Wal-Mart in Jackson, to which I am organizing a petition to have the state to build a 93 bypass around Wellston. With the bypass no right thinking Vinton Countian would ever need to enter Wellston. You may say I have Rocket envy and you would be extremely wrong. I have a systematic, pathological dislike for Wellston. :lol:

Kenny Bixx is crude, ignorant tool, but I like him.
hawkeyepierce
SEOP

Location: Laying Low...hiding from Ty Webb, 93Bulldog, and Sid Farkus
Teams: Ohio State Buckeyes

Postby trojandave » July 11th, 2009, 9:31 am

Jimmy the Greek: I listed the top programs of the 2000's in the above post which lists my top 8 all time programs. The top 6 of the decade are Wheelersburg, Ironton, Logan Elm, Chillicothe, Greenfield McClain, and Chesapeake.

I would rate North Adams #7 right behind Chesapeake, but very close for that #6 spot. Beaver Eastern had some tremendous teams under Don Cantrell, but the Eagles really haven't done much in the last 20 years. Unfortunately Eastern was beaten by a half court buzzer beater by Buckeye Trail in the regional finals back in the 80's, denying them of their best chance to reach the Final 4.

Your Piketon Redstreaks would probably come in at #8 for the decade, right ahead of #9 Vinton County........this was a tough call, but the Redstreaks have had some nice years other than last year's state team.......and a state appearance gives them the edge over the Vikings. VC has won consistently in the 2000's with Matt Combs at the helm, but have only 1 district championship to show for it. North Adams would rate ahead of Piketon simply because they won more consistently throughout the decade, making it to the districts about every year and the regionals a couple of times.

I might go with Zane Trace at the #10 slot.......the Pioneers haven't really had any long tournament runs, but they always seem to be over .500 and have played in the districts quite a bit.
trojandave
SEOP

Location: Portsmouth High School: 15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--2nd All-Time In Ohio
Teams: Portsmouth High School

Postby boilermaker » July 11th, 2009, 9:50 am

Hawkeye , I already know this about you. I have no hatred in my heart anymore,I used to be like that .I have now found peace through Jesus Christ,I would recomend this for you .Life is to short to hold grudges. :-D
boilermaker
SEOP

Postby Bozo » July 14th, 2009, 2:42 pm

Zane Trace Basketball has not won a District title since 1970.
They do have a chance this winter though.

I think that trojandave is on with his picks as usual.

I think the rankings should be measured equally between regular season wins, quality of schedule played, conference titles and tournament success. If you rank it only on tournament success, there is too much luck involved.
Bozo
SEO

Postby sparky » July 15th, 2009, 8:23 pm

in the past ten years whiteoak has as many wins and tournament success as most of your top 8 teams listed.
sparky
SEOP

Postby George Jones » July 15th, 2009, 9:24 pm

sparky wrote:in the past ten years whiteoak has as many wins and tournament success as most of your top 8 teams listed.

How many do they have? Trojandave listed some facts about his top 8. Show us how many wins and tournament wins, then we will have something to debate.
George Jones
S

Postby trojandave » July 16th, 2009, 9:30 am

Whiteoak does not belong in the conversation when it comes to the top 8 ALL-TIME programs in the SE district.........now in the decade of the 2000's, there can be some debate as to whether they should be in the top 10 for those 10 years........they do have a state appearance, in 2002, and have had some other good teams........but #7 North Adams has been more consistent in winning and reaching the districts/regionals and winning the SHL.........I think an argument for the Wildcats vs. #8 Piketon, #9 Vinton County, or #10 Zane Trace has some merit, but Whiteoak still is not a clear cut top 10 team of the 2000's. Whiteoak has not won more consistently than Piketon, VC, or ZT.

Here are my top 8 ALL-TIME programs in the SE district:

1. Portsmouth
2. Wheelersburg
3. Southeastern Ross
4. Chillicothe
5. Racine Southern
6. Ironton
7. Greenfield McClain
8. Chesapeake

sparky: Do you honestly believe that Whiteoak has the resume ALL TIME to merit a top 8 ranking?........Who would you knock off the list? Remember, it's not just tournament accomplishments........all these programs have had several periods of long sustained success including a solid tournament resume..........Whiteoak simply hasn't put together the credentials of these top 8 teams.

Racine Southern has 8 district titles, which is the fewest of the top 8. But the Tornadoes have the most wins in SE District history, and have 2 state appearances to go with it. To have more wins all-time than Portsmouth is quite a feat, considering the incredible resume of the Trojans.

Ironton has 12 district titles, 2 state appearances, 1 state runnerup, and has had several periods of sustained success. They even won SEOAL titles in basketball back in the 70's.......but the football program always overshadowed basketball at IHS.

Greenfield McClain does have a state appearance, in 1935, while Chesapeake has never been to the state. McClain went 472-169 in the 27 years that Rick Van Matre was coach there, and the Tigers also won a district title in 1975 before he came. Chesapeake was winning the OVC title year after year with Norm Persin as their long time coach.......the Panthers also won the AP Poll title, and reached the regionals 8 times under Persin.

Whiteoak has not put a long stretch of success together like Racine Southern, Ironton, McClain, or Chesapeake has.
trojandave
SEOP

Location: Portsmouth High School: 15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--2nd All-Time In Ohio

Postby peake » July 16th, 2009, 10:03 am

Chesapeake actually won two AP Poll State Championships. Chesapeake put together a streak of 11 straight OVC Titles, and won 15 under Persin.

I could be wrong, but I think Chesapeake has 10 district titles, and 10 regional appearences, could be wrong*. Chesapeake has also been ranked in the final state rankings 14 times.
peake
SEOP L

Postby trojandave » July 16th, 2009, 10:21 am

peake: You could very well be right about Chesapeake's number of district titles......I will look it up in the SE District's tournament program. I don't think there's any question that the Panthers belong in the top 8 all time.
trojandave
SEOP

Postby peake » July 16th, 2009, 11:41 am

I want to say that Chesapeake went to the regionals in the 70's at some point.
peake
SEOP L

Postby sparky » July 16th, 2009, 8:05 pm

trojan,
i am talking about the last 10 years not in the past 50 years. i know you are proud of your trojans past but in the last 10 years whiteoak has had much more success than portsmouth has and would be in the top ten in wins and sectional championships. again, i am talking the past 10 to 12 years not the past 50.
sparky
SEOP

Postby Manxious2 » July 16th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Sparky:

I think if you will look at the topic posted it states that we are looking for the best team overall. That takes in the entire history of the program. While there a number of teams that would make the case for consideration as the best team of the recent decade I don't think that anyone is going to top the success of the Portsmouth Trojans. You would be hard pressed to make the case that Whiteoak is better than any of the remaining seven teams (or even the additional teams mentioned). Where are your statistics to make your case?
I applaud Trojandave for his information and valuable input here.
Manxious2
Waterboy

Postby trojandave » July 17th, 2009, 9:30 am

Sparky: I don't even have Portsmouth in the top 10 of the decade of the 2000's......I divided my rankings into 3 categories.........ALL-TIME, best of the last 25 years, and best of the 2000's.......Whiteoak was better than Portsmouth, no question, in the decade of the 2000's..........the Wildcats won district titles in 2000, 2002, and 2003, with a state appearance in 2002. Portsmouth won only 1 district title in the 2000's.......in 2001.

My rankings for the best of the decade of the 2000's........

1. Wheelersburg
2. Ironton
3. Logan Elm
4. Greenfield McClain
5. Chillicothe
6. Chesapeake
7. North Adams
8. Piketon
9. Vinton County
10. Zane Trace

Portsmouth is not rated in the top 10 of the 2000's.........so why are you debating about Portsmouth vs. Whiteoak? I also said that a case could be made for Whiteoak possibly being ranked in the top 10 of the above group, but that is not a clear cut argument in my book.
Last edited by trojandave on July 17th, 2009, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
trojandave
SEOP

Postby trojandave » July 17th, 2009, 9:35 am

Sparky: About going back into the 90's......."10-12 years ago".........Portsmouth won 4 district titles in the 90's........Whiteoak didn't win any.........Portsmouth was state runnerup in 1990........Whiteoak never made it to the state in the 90's.........Portsmouth's best records of the 90's were 24-3 in 1990, 22-3 in 1991, 16-6 in 1994, and 18-5 in 1999.......all those years the Trojans were district champions.

So if you want to go back into the 90's.......talk about the whole decade, not just a couple of years........

Whiteoak was better than Portsmouth in the 2000's.......but Portsmouth was much better than the Wildcats in the 90's...........
trojandave
SEOP

Postby trojandave » July 17th, 2009, 9:46 am

Peake: Chesapeake is listed in the SE District tournament program as having 11 district titles, tied with Ironton........the Panthers did go to the regionals in 1973.

I edited my previous post of the top 8 all-time with corrections for Chesapeake and Ironton.
trojandave
SEOP

Postby peake » July 17th, 2009, 12:17 pm

McClain ahead of Chesapeake in the 2000's? Really? How so? Chesapeake if memory serves me right, won 6 of 8 OVC titles, went to the regionals 5 times and the regional finals once.
peake
SEOP L

Postby peake » July 17th, 2009, 12:21 pm

I believe Chesapeake went to the regionals 10 times under Persin. Twice in the 80's, 93, 97, 98, 01, 03, 04, 05, 06.
peake
SEOP L

Postby peake » July 17th, 2009, 12:25 pm

I want to say that have more then 3 regional finals appearances as well. Once with Thacker (1989?), 1993, 1998, 2003.
peake
SEOP L

Postby Kickinurz » July 17th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Nice picks . I agree with you Trojandave.
Those are the best picks for the last decade.
Kickinurz
S

Postby John Wooden » July 17th, 2009, 5:09 pm

I like what trojandave has said. He backs everything he has said up with facts and stats. Anyone can get on here and say their team is better and show no stats. It means nothing without the facts to back it up. Nice work trojandave you always show us the facts.
John Wooden
SE

Postby trojandave » July 18th, 2009, 9:20 am

Thanks for the support, guys........I try to back up what I say with facts.......of course my top 8 all-time or top 10 of the 2000's are just opinions, but I have tried to present facts to support the rankings.

Opinions supported by facts are much stronger than just plain opinions.
trojandave
SEOP

Postby trojandave » July 18th, 2009, 9:26 am

peake: I put McClain ahead of Chesapeake because they won consistently also.....Greenfield did not have a losing season in the 2000's.......they went 39-1 in the regular season in Dante Jackson's last 2 years......they dominated the SCOL, just like Chesapeake did the OVC, and went to the regionals quite a few times in the 2000's just like the Panthers.........it was a close call between those two, but I gave the slight edge to McClain.

The rankings are such that there are several positions that could be debated.......I think the lower you go, the more the teams are separated by a fine line.
trojandave
SEOP

Postby peake » July 18th, 2009, 5:34 pm

trojandave, I think you are doing a great job.

I would like to see McClains post season success since 2000 if you could do that. If I remember correctly, they only went to the regionals once or twice since 2000.
peake
SEOP L

Postby Kenny Bixx » July 19th, 2009, 12:20 am

i might be a tool but i aint ignorant. that might be the problem i am a tool, who is smart who speaks the truth does that make me dangerous?
Kenny Bixx
S

Postby trojandave » July 20th, 2009, 9:32 am

peake: McClain went to the regionals 3 times in the 2000's, while Chesapeake went 5 times........but McClain did go farther than the Panthers in the tourney in 2007 and 2008.......reaching the district finals both years. Chesapeake and McClain both went to the district semifinals this past season. Both schools failed to advance to the districts only 1 time in the entire decade.

I could be wrong on this, but I believe that McClain and Wheelersburg were the only 2 schools in the SE District that did not have a losing season in the 2000's.......I think Chesapeake had a losing season the first year after Norm left, but have been winning since Ryan Davis took over.

To have 10 straight winning seasons in a decade is the hallmark of consistency for a great program.......and that is the stat that may have given McClain the edge in my rankings. But Chesapeake has a solid resume, and quite frankly could be higher........as I said before, there is a very fine line among teams once you get past the #1-#2 spots.........
trojandave
SEOP

Postby trojandave » July 20th, 2009, 10:00 am

While looking up some information regarding Chesapeake and Greenfield McClain, I noticed the tournament resume of Reedsville Eastern......the Eagles won 4 district titles from 2000-2005, and had a state appearance during that time. But RE fell off sharply after that........still, some solid accomplishments that would put them in the conversation for a possible top 10 program of the 2000's.
trojandave
SEOP

Postby peake » July 20th, 2009, 1:49 pm

What about Eastern Brown?
peake
SEOP L

Postby trojandave » July 21st, 2009, 10:37 am

peake: In reference to Eastern Brown......the Warriors won district titles in 2000 and 2002.......going back to the 90's, they also won the district in 1999.......they did win the regional in 2002, losing in the state semifinals. But in the 7 years since then EB hasn't done anything significant enough to warrant a top 10 ranking........although their state appearance is a great accomplishment, there's really not that much to go along with it.
trojandave
SEOP

Postby trojandave » July 21st, 2009, 11:07 am

In rating tournament performance......district champions and beyond, I came up with this rating system:

5 points......state champions
3 points......regional champions
1 point........district champions

A team does not get additional points for winning the district, regional, or state in the same year.......example, Chillicothe gets 5 points for their 2008 state title, but no other points for that year. But they do get 2 points for their 2007 and 2009 district titles.......totaling 7 points.

Based on this point system, the top 10 tournament teams in the SE District for the decade of the 2000's are:

1. South Webster......10 points
2. Wheelersburg.........9 points
3. Chillicothe........7 points
4. (tie) Reedsville Eastern....6 points
Oak Hill..............6 points
6. (tie) Chesapeake....5 points
Ironton...................5 points
Whiteoak...............5 points
9. (tie) Eastern Brown.....4 points
Logan Elm...............4 points

Just outside the top 10:

11. (tie) Greenfield McClain...3 points
Piketon.....................3 points

South Webster occupies the #1 position because they won a state championship in 2006 worth 5 points, also won the regional in 2004 for 3 points, losing to Holgate in the state semifinals, and in addition won 2 other district titles in 2005 and 2007. That accounts for 10 points total. #2 Wheelersburg won regional titles in 2006 and 2007 for 6 points, and also won district titles in 2000, 2002, and 2008 for a total of 9 points.
Last edited by trojandave on July 21st, 2009, 12:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
trojandave
SEOP

PreviousNext

Return to Boys Basketball