COYOTE QUESTION, DO THEY RUN IN PACKS.

Anything but Games, Sports and Politics Forum

Moderator: SEOP Mods

Postby You're Tiger Bait » November 21st, 2008, 2:51 pm

last night i took the dogs out about 1am. to walk them, and use the bathroom. i've saw dozen's of coyotes through my 28 years out here. but only once before have i saw more than 1 at a time. one time i saw 2 together. but anyway, last night , i heard something weird down the hollow. but thought it was a dog howling. gus, my 120 pound 11 month german shepherd, great dane mix. stopped dead in his tracks. ears stood straight up, and my black lab, which was tethered out front heard the same thing. instead of barking back, which they normally would have done. both froze in their tracks, and wanted back in the house. as cars quit going by, i listened. to what sounded like a large pack of coyotes howling wildly. there is cattle back there, but no calves. i called the property owner to see if he had any calves. he said no. but when i walked the dogs this morning, neither dog, would even consider walking in the side lot. (POOPY LOT :-D ). but nobody believes me, they say coyotes are solitary. but my sister in law. lives deep in the woods near greenbo. and said in the daylight one time she saw 9 together. a couple of years ago. what say you.
You're Tiger Bait
SEOP LEGE

Teams: IHS TIGERS, BUCKEYES, BENGALS.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: COYOTE QUESTION, DO THEY RUN IN PACKS.

Postby moose » November 21st, 2008, 3:39 pm

It's not unusual for coyotes to run in packs, particularly after dark. I bowhunt in the Waterloo area and have had packs of coyotes run past me more than once when I left the woods at dark. They will howl at one another until a flashlight is turned on, and then they scatter.

Most often the packs will be single sex and, of course, I was always surrounded by females.
moose
SEOP

Postby OZZIEOHIO » November 21st, 2008, 4:03 pm

YTB wrote
last night i took the dogs out about 1am. to walk them, and use the bathroom. i've saw dozen's of coyotes through my 28 years out here. but only once before have i saw more than 1 at a time. one time i saw 2 together. but anyway, last night , i heard something weird down the hollow. but thought it was a dog howling. gus, my 120 pound 11 month german shepherd, great dane mix. stopped dead in his tracks. ears stood straight up, and my black lab, which was tethered out front heard the same thing. instead of barking back, which they normally would have done. both froze in their tracks, and wanted back in the house. as cars quit going by, i listened. to what sounded like a large pack of coyotes howling wildly. there is cattle back there, but no calves. i called the property owner to see if he had any calves. he said no. but when i walked the dogs this morning, neither dog, would even consider walking in the side lot. (POOPY LOT ). but nobody believes me, they say coyotes are solitary. but my sister in law. lives deep in the woods near greenbo. and said in the daylight one time she saw 9 together. a couple of years ago. what say you.

You would think at 48 you would be potty trained already. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was fishing in Wolcut one time, and had a pack come up on me. There was 5 or 6 that I seen for sure but thought I heard more.
OZZIEOHIO
SEOP LEG

Postby You're Tiger Bait » November 21st, 2008, 5:27 pm

well to those who don't believe me, read this. i know what i heard. ozz. the lot is strictly for the dogs. :-D :-D :-D
You're Tiger Bait
SEOP LEGE

Postby thirtytrap » November 21st, 2008, 6:48 pm

I know that coyotes will pack up to hunt. They are canine which means that they are a social animal. I have seen them in packs and have heard them in packs.
thirtytrap
S

Postby orange-n-brown 365 » November 21st, 2008, 8:44 pm

Hope this helps! :)

Do coyotes howl and run in packs?

Coyotes howl infrequently, but when they do, especially on a cold quiet day, or right before dark, it carries for a long way in wild areas. Howls are thought to be used by coyotes to announce their location. Coyotes are known to howl in response to loud noises like fire alarm whistles. They also seem willing to respond to most coyote howling calls, so long as they hear them. Eastern coyotes don't pack like wolves, but do run in family units and pairs. Although families usually break up in autumn, they occasionally stay together until breeding activity starts in mid winter.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view ... 8&q=163663
orange-n-brown 365
SEOP LEG

Postby sportsfanatic85 » November 22nd, 2008, 10:15 am

I have heard that they run in packs. My brother in law and husband see them when they go deer hunting, usually early
in the morning. They beleive that is what eats the deer guts and remains.
When i lived at home we had to keep an eye on all of the chickens because they would try and get to them.
sportsfanatic85
SE

Postby orange-n-brown 365 » November 24th, 2008, 4:28 pm

:lol:
orange-n-brown 365
SEOP LEG

Postby Philly » November 24th, 2008, 5:52 pm

My daughter works at the Wal Mart in New Boston, and she was telling me that there are alot of cats that hang around Wal Mart where they take their breaks. Everyone was told not to feed them, as they were bringing in the coyotes. Well one person told them to please feed the starving dog all of their scraps, because they felt sorry for it....I guess they were told not to feed it as it was a coyote!!! :aaaaa54
Philly
SEOP

Postby You're Tiger Bait » November 24th, 2008, 5:58 pm

that person needs to watch more animal planet.
You're Tiger Bait
SEOP LEGE

Postby ballparent » November 24th, 2008, 7:42 pm

The coyote in Ohio link:

http://ohiodnr.com/Home/species_a_to_z/SpeciesGuideIndex/coyote/tabid/6598/Default.aspx

Any question concerning animals, birds, fish, etc. can be answered by going to

http://www.wildohio.com

and typing the species name in the search box or if the exact species name or correct spelling is not known, then use the:

Species A-Z Tool link.....

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/species_a_to_z/SpeciesGuideIndex/tabid/6491/Default.aspx
ballparent
SEOP

Postby TheMalteseFalcon » November 25th, 2008, 7:26 am

Are Coyotes like Camels? If 10 packs of them get together, do you call them a carton?
TheMalteseFalcon
SEOP

Postby You're Tiger Bait » November 25th, 2008, 7:05 pm

thanks ballparent, i had that site saved till my computer crashed. and that was big enough even i could see it.

hammer that was funny. both my dowggies was eating when i hit your link. i always have my speakers full bore. that coyote got every body. the whole house is barking. you are ornery. :-D :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246
You're Tiger Bait
SEOP LEGE

Postby You're Tiger Bait » November 25th, 2008, 7:42 pm

my wife just came home from work, i hadda show her. man it don't take much to entertain us rednecks does it. freakin our pets out.
You're Tiger Bait
SEOP LEGE

Postby claypantherfan » November 26th, 2008, 12:44 am

They do travel in packs but they are usually spread out so they can circle around
claypantherfan
SEOP

Postby kantuckyII » November 26th, 2008, 12:47 am

I was at Grayson Lake a couple weeks ago fishing and right as it was getting dark I heard several howling. I didn't think Eastern Coyotes done that but apparently they do.

YTB, didn't you get indoor plumbing out there yet or won't the wife let you go in the house?
kantuckyII
SEOP LEG

Teams: Toledo Mud Hens

Postby wildthingRV » November 26th, 2008, 10:03 am

Years ago I was a summer camp counselor in Northern Ohio. We had coyotes, but we also had feral dogs. Canis familiaris, but they had escaped from their loving homes, been dropped, etc, and now ran wild in a pack. They sounded like coyotes, but there were a lot meaner, dirtier, and more desperate. Gimme coyotes any day, wild dogs are EVIL.

You might have heard those. If you do, get the HELL out of the woods. Dogs are not as capable of hunters as the coyotes, and so they get desperate and aggressive. They do a lot of the things that the coyotes get blamed for. We had a pack lay seige to our cabin one night. They just sat there and waited for us to come out. All night. It was freaky to hear them howl and whine. I swear they were plotting to find a way in.
wildthingRV
SEO

Postby You're Tiger Bait » November 26th, 2008, 2:11 pm

i heard them again last night. i have one of those rechargable multi million candle watt lights now , i take them out with, they must have been closer than i thought, because when i started shining the light up around the hill. it stopped them from howling. i feed so many critters, thats probably whats drawn them in.
You're Tiger Bait
SEOP LEGE

Postby mercerville monster » November 26th, 2008, 3:35 pm

I have hunted coyotes for a few years now and only twice have I seen one alone. Everytime I see them there will be 4-5 of them. And when you think you hear a bunch like ten or more its normally five. Probably one of the craziest things you can hear.

And no, a dog or no other animal will ever think about going in a direction that they hear coyotes howl. Everything is scared of them. Just ask Brutus, they have a few calves a year get ate by them. You would think by the size of some of them that they were wolves.
mercerville monster
SEOP

Postby wellstonrockets » November 26th, 2008, 5:22 pm

hammerdown wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:my wife just came home from work, i hadda show her. man it don't take much to entertain us rednecks does it. freakin our pets out.

you guys are domistacated compared to us kentukians :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: were still trying to absorb this intranet thing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats funny im from ohio and working on 3 years right now trying figure this out lol..

i have seen them in big pack's out here i usually see 4-5 a night if i was to sit outside.
wellstonrockets
SEOP

Location: CHILLAXIN WITH MY BOYZ AT CH JONES FIELD WELLSTON OHIO.

Return to Chat