Unioto's Galen Dills becomes a Buckeye!!!!

Unioto Rocks
Freshman Team

Unioto's Galen Dills becomes a Buckeye!!!!

Post by Unioto Rocks »

Congratulations Galen!!! GO BUCKS!! :122245

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/apps/ ... GECAROUSEL

GAHSNOW
Freshman Team

Re: Unioto's Galen Dills becomes a Buckeye!!!!

Post by GAHSNOW »

Great news! Congrats Galen. My kid just got some stuff from EMU and I just threw it away.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

How could a runner of this caliber not be getting a full scholarship somewhere?

I don't get it.

Oh well, congratulations!

Thatotherguy
Freshman Team

Post by Thatotherguy »

warrnwarriorfan wrote:How could a runner of this caliber not be getting a full scholarship somewhere?

I don't get it.

Oh well, congratulations!

Full track scholarships are nearly unheard of. I don't know anybody who got one besides Cory Leslie. Galen is one of elite in the state. I'm sure between FA+scholarship he is well taken care of. Congradulations!

ChuckHayes44
Waterboy

Post by ChuckHayes44 »

Congrats buddy. I hope this decision works out for you.

Full Rides are rare for us runners....You just have to understand that Football and Basketball is bringing in the money so they are the ones who get the free rides to college. I know when I went on visits before I chose my school during my senior year of high school many coaches would come out and say that no one here gets a full ride....so it's pretty common no matter where you go.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

CONGRATS

Thatotherguy
Freshman Team

Post by Thatotherguy »

ChuckHayes44 wrote:Congrats buddy. I hope this decision works out for you.

Full Rides are rare for us runners....You just have to understand that Football and Basketball is bringing in the money so they are the ones who get the free rides to college..

Not in OU's case :lol:

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Who got a full ride at OU?

Congratulations Galen! :-D

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Tyler Cantley. He ran 15:18 today at the Green and White Invite.

RvDistanceGuy
Waterboy

Post by RvDistanceGuy »

Only a handful of football programs (5-6) actually turn a profit. The rest lose money, so despite popular thinking that is not the reason for the scholarship disparity. Basketball costs less, so maybe 3 times that many programs turn a profit in that sport. Overall, though, all these sports lose money...and at a much more alarming rate than cross country or track. The reason for more scholarships in these sports is plain and simple: erroneous thinking on the part of trustee's and administrators that a successful program bring prestige and eventually admissions money to their school. They also hope to become the next George Mason or Boise State in terms of bringing in the big bucks for television, bowl purses, and merchandise sales for that short period of time following a big tournament run or season. These things arent usually sustainable, and if you research the Boise and George Mason situations you will find that the admissions booms werent either. They experienced a short spike in applications, but not actual enrollment. So the net gain from sporting success is not only negligible, but fleeting. I'm glad to see runners receive this money. I just hope that people can educate themselves about the nature of college athletics and see that the wool has been pulled over their eyes for far too long. They dont bring home the money, they just lose more...does that deserve reward?

uhs_coach
Waterboy

Post by uhs_coach »

very well said. I took a class and did a grad paper on this a while back. It is truly sad.

warrengrappler/xcman
Riding the Bench

Post by warrengrappler/xcman »

congrats galen from the warren xc team!!!!!!!!! good luck!!!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

I think you guys need to clarify your statements. Forbes.com has an article listing the Top 20 profitable programs and they make a BUNCH of money and do pay for other programs. Many D-1 football programs make money. Perhaps D-2/D-3 programs don't turn a profit, but there are definitely more than 5 or 6 D-1 programs making a ton of cash (millions).

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

I'm with you fan - the majority of D-1 BCS football programs are each athletic department's "cash cows". This is not a slap in the face to the other great sports these colleges field - it is just fact - people love their college football. It is what it is!!!!

ChuckHayes44
Waterboy

Post by ChuckHayes44 »

I'm not expert on the topic but I would be a lot of money that what RvDistanceGuy said isn't too far from the truth. He is always right on....

Bubblegumhuffy
Riding the Bench

Post by Bubblegumhuffy »

Good luck to Galen at OSU and hopefully makes the southeast look impressive in the Big Ten

Thatotherguy
Freshman Team

Post by Thatotherguy »

SErunner wrote:Who got a full ride at OU?

Nobody, I meant OU's football team dose not make money.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

If he really means that only 5-6 D-1 football programs are profitable . . . I'll take that bet!!

uhs_coach
Waterboy

Post by uhs_coach »

Like it or not less than 10 DI programs are self sustaining without outside help from the university in the form of general fund (tax and student tuition) money, and even with that only about half can show a profit for their athletic department.

RvDistanceGuy
Waterboy

Post by RvDistanceGuy »

uhs_coach is right, most schools that do make a "profit" do so only with the help of money from the school and general fund. However, if you hold them responsible to the same degree that we hold a normal business and expect them to be self-sustaining then you will see that very few can make money on their own. Businesses do not receive an allowance like athletic programs do.

Return to “Cross Country”