First couple of meets scheduled this year?

davewottle
JV Team

First couple of meets scheduled this year?

Post by davewottle »

Where are you going?

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Re: First couple of meets scheduled this year?

Post by Flatulence »

Logan will not begin cross country until after Labor Day. This is a personal decision as I believe, quite strongly, we begin competition much too early. Over my long coaching career I have watched the month of August completely destroy a cross country runner's season. I have seen a race where it looked as if I were in a war zone with all of the EMS squads and vehicles, nurses and doctors with stethoscopes out, athletes packed in ice, laying on a bag of ice, or having their feet in an ice slush to attempt to get the body to cool down. After i had attended two of such meets in two consecutive years I made the decision to start after Labor Day. Though it remains hot on some days, on the average September is cooler than is August.

Personally, I would love to see cross country season delayed three weeks and have the state meet after Thanksgiving Day.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

My daughter ran 4 days a week thru June and has ran 5 during the month of July. She is bored with conditioning and ready to start racing. I agree the heat stinks but i wouldn't want to see our schedule pushed back. I think we are already the last fall sport at Jackson to start actual competition unless i overlooked something on the calendar (aug 28th).

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Ironman, I believe competition begins on August 23rd. And, I will continue my stance concerning moving the state meet back three weeks. It will not happen because, God forbid, we take any of the limelight off of the state football playoffs or the beginning of basketball season.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Our league meet was pretty chilly last year so i couldn't imagine what you might run into by pushing back the schedule. Our coach hasn't put out the schedule yet but it looks like we might be starting at River Valley on the 28th. I'd like to see us start sooner, be allowed to compete in more meets, and do away with junior high and allow them to compete at the varsity level in the 7th grade like some of the other states do but that will never happen.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

In 2007 it was over 100 for several practice days in August and many schools were not in session because of the heat. I kept telling the kids how soon it would be cool and it was in the 90's for parts of October and 95ish several days of September.

Some say the farmer's almanac predicts the hottest August in a long time...hope it's wrong!

Golf season is about over isn't it? lol

Return to “Cross Country”