Opinion needed from Cross Country Coach

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Opinion needed from Cross Country Coach

Post by warningtrackpower »

Coaches, we discussed a topic concerning CC coaches this week on SVC Sports Talk (online radio show for SVCsportszone.com) - we would love to get some feedback. The discussion is in the first 10-15 minutes of the show. You can comment on here or call 740-569-3254 if you would like to share your thoughts for next week's show.

Here is the link - just click, hit play arrow, and listen to first 10-15 minutes - thanks

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk092914

ny_buckeyes_goodin_2284
Waterboy

Re: Opinion needed from Cross Country Coach

Post by ny_buckeyes_goodin_2284 »

Too much is put on these coaches. There is not enough time to keep your finger on every group of runners, much less every runner in the program. Not every runner excels with and/or needs the same type of training. While trying to maintain a training program for 4 groups of runners (Boys HS, Girls HS, Boys JH, Girls JH) there will likely be runners who take steps back due to improper training for their particular running ability.

CC coaches do not get paid much and it can really be a headache at times when you consider the time you are away from your family and other obligations. I commend those who really work to develop their runners while not getting much recognition or pay.

What's the solution? Considering the budget for the schools in SE Ohio, there probably isn't much change on the horizon.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I think a CC coach has to love the game to really do it. Some coaches are at a disadvantage because what they have available to them to train their runners.
While taking about CC............are there courses in southeastern Ohio that are not considered as official? The reason I ask is because I noticed some times events are not counted in state wide stats.

Runnersfan
Riding the Bench

Post by Runnersfan »

If the races aren't tied into oh.milesplit somehow then they don't show up. All the courses are official. The real question is are they true 3.1 courses. There are always courses every year that are suspiciously fast. Runners post amazing times that don't seem to align with the season they are having and thus are never able to replicate. It is kind of unfair to the runners in my opinion. In one case this season I saw a school record broken due to a "short course". It was a record that was held for many years. Runners that "PR" on these courses may never see those times again in a season which can be frustrating because runners love to PR! Time will tell, in the post season, if I'm correct. The other problem can be long courses. Or, as is the case in Southeastern Ohio, hilly difficult courses. I think we would see more of our runners in the silver and gold elite on milesplit if all our runners ran the flat, fast courses with really fast competition. But that's ok. Our Southeastern Ohio runners like to run under the radar, LOL.

Return to “Cross Country”