JV Team

Who looks to be top teams in Fall 2017

Post by davewottle »

Boys and girls who stands out?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Who looks to be top teams in Fall 2017

Post by noreply66 »

For the girls... these teams will be strong if everyone goes out that ran last season.

Athens
Chillicothe
Eastern R
Fairfield Christian
Fairfield Union
Fairland
Unioto
Vinton Cty
Washington
Waverly
Westfall

I would go with Chillicothe, Fairfield Christian as the two strongest

For the Boys

Alexander
Athens
Chillicothe
Eastern S
Fairfield
Marietta
Maimi Trace
Piketon
River Valley
Rock Hill
Unioto
Warren

I would say the top two could be Unioto and Fairfield

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

Just be careful comparing teams strictly on time...there were a couple of extremely fast courses last year in which runners never came close to those times at the district meet or regional meets.

The top girls teams...Fairfield Union/Athens...both with outstanding core runners returning. FU had an excellent MS girl, and Athens had arguably the best MS girls team in the area. Fairland should also be mentioned with these two teams...strong core returning and an outstanding MS team last year. Another team to watch is Sheridan. Bishop Flaget out of Chillicothe had some good runners. Where they go to high school may have some impact on already good teams like Chillicothe, Unioto, or Zane Trace.

As for the boys, Fairfield should be challenging for a state title this year. Unioto and Sheridan will be the top two boys teams in DII. Athens will also be very strong, but they have the misfortune being in DI this year. There are a few dark horse teams I am watching as well. It's always hard to determine how incoming freshmen will impact their teams.

The commitment to summer training will have a significant impact on the season. We will find out soon enough which teams and which runners have chosen to work this summer. The results of October and November are in direct alignment to the commitment and consistency in the months of June and July.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Should there be some sort of committee to grade every course and this grade be entered when results are published? Should every course also have a committee to measure each course? Just a thought.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

A group of cross country junkies grading courses is a great idea...lol...I would sign up for that job!

Ohio's Milesplit site used to have a course rating system...it was based off of times from the races, but there have been a few changes in webmasters and content over the past couple of years, I don't think it has updated recently.

The great thing (and frustrating thing) about cross country is the variability in courses...both in the terrain and the accuracy with which the courses have been measured. Because of that, one has to take times from races with a grain of salt when comparing between two courses. It's always neat to see how different runners and teams compete on different types of courses.

Maybe some day I will create and organize a sport in which there is no variability in terrain and distance to help accommodate and pacify the coaches and runners who do not like to run hills, on longer grass, or on trails...now if I could just come up with a catchy name for my new sport...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I think some course are not 5K. As some JV are not 3200.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This is my 14th season as XC coach and courses have gotten easier and shorter for sure.

Our course last year was definitely short but had trouble with the roughness of it and times matched up with the average courses throughout our season. This year it's better and measures in at 3.08. It will not be a fast course even though it is a touch short and without hills.

Return to “Cross Country”