Best Distance Runners in TVC History???

Marcus Brody
Waterboy

Best Distance Runners in TVC History???

Post by Marcus Brody »

Thoughts????

coach k
Freshman Team

Re: Best Distance Runners in TVC History???

Post by coach k »

In no particular order for the boys: Ron Dunfee (FH), Mitch Bentley (VC), John Aubrey (Wellston), and Michael Owen (Eastern).

As for the girls Emily Skidmore (Alex) would be my number one pick.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

I would throw the Tornes girl from Waterford in the mix as well. She dont run XC but she is in the mix every year at the TVC track meet. But your right Coach K, Skidmore would be my number one pick for certain.

blarge
Riding the Bench

Post by blarge »

No one around here that I know of has ever matched Ron Dunfee's 2 Mi / 3200 time of 9:17 / 9:19. That was in 1974-'75. His 4:34 mile was phenomenal at the time, but more common now.

Marcus Brody
Waterboy

Post by Marcus Brody »

Ron's daughter Emily is also a solid runner...

Thatotherguy
Freshman Team

Post by Thatotherguy »

Micheal Owen ran 9:40's 3200, 4:29 in 1600, and low 16's in cross. He was all-state in cross.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

blarge wrote:No one around here that I know of has ever matched Ron Dunfee's 2 Mi / 3200 time of 9:17 / 9:19. That was in 1974-'75. His 4:34 mile was phenomenal at the time, but more common now.

I dont understand how he ran a 9:17 3200 if he only ran a 4:34 mile. Thats just crazy! I mean, his splits for the 3200 are almost a 4:34. (about 4:38/4:39) Anyone have a story behind that?

coach k
Freshman Team

Post by coach k »

This topic really intrigues me. I have done bit of research on the history of Cross Country in the TVC (primarily for VC), but have not done much with track. I've seen the list of the league records, but I don't currently have one. I will try to get one to post here. I knew Ron Dunfee still held the record in the 3200/2 mile, and I was aware that it was somewhere in the ballpark of 9:20. When I saw that I had the same thought 4sporterEHS had. If I happen to see him at any track meets this year, I will ask him about it.

It looks like I will be making a trip or two to OU's library for some Athens Messenger microfilms. I will try to put a list together to share.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Yeah, some libraries will have archives of old newspapers that you might be able to find an article on the TVC meet.

Ive also heard stories about the distance not being the same when he ran that. But that was purely a rumor. I just thought it was wierd how the mile record is in a better reach than the 2 mile.

blarge
Riding the Bench

Post by blarge »

The Messenger was good about publishing results back in the day.
Coach k, if you come up with any VC-FH results from 1980-'83, I would be interested as well. I remember some exciting meet-deciding races in the 4x4.
(or the "Mile Relay"as it was then)
I wouldn't know Ron Dunfee if I saw him today. His younger brother Greg was coming on as a 4:50-ish miler as a freshman and soph, but chose work over track his junior and senior years.
I agree, when you first look at Ron's old mile and 2 mile records, the first thing that hits you is how the 2mi is merely his mile doubled plus 10 seconds or so.
An older cousin of mine once showed me his stack of State meet programs spanning
20+ years. I remember seeing Ron Dunfee's results and photo in one.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Blarge, could you get ahold of those Programs and maybe post the results of Ron's races?

dish it
Riding the Bench

Post by dish it »

Ron is like the energizer bunny... I dont think he'll ever stop running!! :lol: :lol:

WangoZTango
Freshman Team

Post by WangoZTango »

Looks like Emily Skidmore took care of business as Meadowbrook...Would have loved to have seen Alex at the Rocky Invitational in Nelsonville...

Return to “Track & Field”