The Sunday Sentinel

Knowbody
Waterboy

Re: The Sunday Sentinel

Post by Knowbody »

Okay, you are right. THere is always a good excuse for mediocrity. I will sit and feel ashamed for ever feeling otherwise.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

I think the paper needs to hire a few more people to cover stuff. I am not downing 3 people for not covering everything. If the paper needs more people, then hire a few. I pay 50 cents for a Dipatch and that is what a Sentinel costs. I have had a subscrippition with the Sentinel for 25 years, so I have been very loyal to the paper. They do a great job with baseball and soft ball , all I stated was I would like to see a little more coverage on track meets. There are usually only 1 or 2 meets a week. There are alot of students that run track. You are selling a product, so don't take it personal when your buyers want something improved. You should try to improve your product , to keep your buyers happy. If you have to hire another person so be it then everybody is happy. You no longer have 3 people doing the work of 4.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Knowbody
Waterboy

Post by Knowbody »

It's excellent work. What if the people who publish papers gave as much as Dr. Rabbit? What a fine paper they would have.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

She does't for free .no money

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

gahs4ever...good posts. You understand how the newspaper business works.

And sometimes we can tell people who don't understand how it works until we are blue in the face, and they still won't get it.

I always welcome anybody who thinks they know the ins and outs of our jobs better than we do to come down and try it for one day or for one week. They usually shut up pretty quick after that.

BTW...If you were at the track meet on Saturday at Oak Hill and I did not see you, I apologize. I was taking photos for three different ACM publications and was busy with that for most of the day.

Good luck to the Blue Angels in the regional and state meets.

Bryan told me that the 171.5 points is the most points ever for them in school history. It's also the 13th straight district championship. Amazing.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I'll come down there and work newspaper again, if you'll pay me what my teaching contract does LOL

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

The money to hire these reporters comes from advertisement. Unfortunately that has been drying up and that means fewer people. The 50 cents from an individual buying a paper only pays for the publishing of the actual issue, not anyone's salary.

Back in the day, newspapers were the main source of information for world, national and local news. First TV and now internet provide more and more information on an on-demand basis on especially the first two categories. Goodness knows, I read whole articles on the internet 12-24 hours before I see those same articles in the Daily Times. But less people need or want a physical paper.

A few years ago, the Daily Times in Portsmouth had a reporter that stated on the Huddle something in the line of 'We are not in the business of publishing for scrapebooks.' I disagreed with him then and more so now. It is those very articles of local interest, about the area kids, that keep people buying local papers. AND the bigger the circulation, the more the paper can charge and the more local businesses are interested in advertising. This equals more reporters that can be hired (or at least less that have to be fired.)

It is in a niche of dedication to local news that I see local papers surviving. But they will always be working on a shoe string as the radio and internet siphon away the advertising dollars. Wherever possible, they need people like Gahs4ever who are willing to get them information for publication. A few volunteers and a generous stringer or two can make or break the quality of a small town sports section.

Part of a coaching staff job is to get appropriate ink for their players. (The best coaches always seem to know this instinctively.) But the head coach does not have to be the one to call in the information. A scorekeeper, assistant coach, volunteer parent or designated student reporter can handle that duty. The head coach should be the one to make sure a responsible person is chosen.

One example of a local volunteer is Mrs. Voorhes from Waverly. Her husband is assistant coach and she has volunteered as scorebook keeper at their home track meets and will sometimes fill in at other schools (such as for the Northwest Invitational.) THEN She will type out the results after a meet and e-mail them to local papers. Greg Shepherd of Piketon does this for his team's meets. Because of these two, the Pike Co. Watchman's ONE sports reporter is able to provide decent coverage for Pike county track teams. Those typed results also have appear regularly in the Chillicothe Gazette and the Portsmouth Times over the years thanks to a couple of caring people who are willing to go the extra mile.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

From February, 1967, until my retirement in November, 1998, I feel the Sunday Times-Sentinel had one of the best sports sections in the tri-state area.

Pt. Pleasant had Jack Rogers, Meigs had Keith Wisecup and Dave Harris, along with Scott Wolfe. The Tribune had myself, Odie O'Donnell, Jeff Grabmier, and Dale Rothgeb to name a few.

We had complete coverage of the SVAC, SEOAL, and Tri-Valley League teams.

After the paper was taken over by big corporations (Multi-Media, Gannett, and three others, the out-of-towners cut back on expences, overtime, employees, etc.

It's tough on the current staff to "get 'er done."

Return to “Track & Field”