Division III Girls Distict meet at Oak Hill with 33 teams!!!

Dean
Freshman Team

Re: Division III Girls Distict meet at Oak Hill with 33 teams!!!

Post by Dean »

The NW district gets 24 qualifiers while the SE, East, and Central get 4. When you look at the total number of competitors, the NW district has approximately 3.5 times the athletes as the SE, but gets 6 times the number of qualifiers. The state is saying that because the number of teams is lower in the SE that we get fewer to the regionals, but if you look at the total number of competitors the SE is getting screwed.

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Al Riffey told me to go to this topic and to read what some of the thoughts were on this issue. To be honest, even as President of the OATCCC for two years I have yet to determine just where these decisions are made and by whom. Much of the problem is not having enough complete teams; however, basing this on one year makes little sense to me. Here is what is happening as I to what has been sifted: the Central District has 28 or 29 schools and will only advance 4, East has 23 teams and will only advance 4, SE has 33 schools and will only advance 4, that is a total of 85 schools. The fourth district to the regional meet is to come from the SW. If it has 16 teams then 4 qualifiers will come from 101 schools. If numbers are correct there are 242 teams in girls D-III throughout the state. This means from the remaining three regions they can divide 143 schools or 47 schools per region to advance 4 to the state meet. BALANCE?

BUT, I have been told that there is a district from NE who will also have 23 schools in a district meet. My question which I sent to the OHSAA is how many schools remain in the remaining districts? If my math is correct there will be 11 districts dividing up 120 schools or less than 12 schools in some district meets.

In closing, in our boys D-I district meet at Meadowbrook we will have only 8 teams to advance 4. This just is not right even though it is a great advantage for we D-I schools in the East and Southeast and as much has been said.

Years ago cross country coaches from SE rallied to the Five on the Line call to get the count up. In track we must get 9. Al Riffey, John Grimm, Greg Cronacher, and myself have been vocal. I have balked at getting legal assistance and have balked at getting the legislature - government screws up everything it gets it hands on anyway -but it seems our calls fall on deaf ears for some.

Last thing, I know for a fact there are a few at the OHSAA who understand, but until SE Ohio coaches get together along with school superintendents and principals, we have no clout. There has to be a unified voice, otherwise our comments, opinions, thoughts, and well thought logic is just blowing in the wind. Also, when an idea is brought it needs to be hashed out and not have many go behind the originator of the thought's back and undermine it. Many years ago when the SEOTCA was lively we developed some clout. We made some money. We made some other districts jealous and then we became envied because when we had our concession stand at Ohio Wesleyan coaches and officials were astounded as to how we all seemed to get along. THAT is what is needed. We also argued at our meetings like brothers and sisters. If you think many of us old guys with strong wills did not say anything - wrong. All one needs to do is to sit with Keith McGuire and read his notes from our meetings. We were quite colorful AND the air was turned blue with our language, but we understood each other and we got along because it became like a family. Many friendships developed and have endured. Personally, there are many retired coaches who I will not hesitate to go to with a question because I know they will be straight up with me. There are also many coaches still coaching with whom I feel the same way. Because we are so spread out in SE Ohio it is a must for every coach to get involved in the SEOTCA. That was the original intent and I do not think it should change.

buddyholly
Freshman Team

Post by buddyholly »

I think that the Southeast Board should change what they setup at Oak Hill and send the same girls teams to Chillicothe as last year. They have the power. They are in charge. So, please, board members of the Southeast, make a wrong a right and send 15 to 16 girls teams to Chillicothe instead of loading Oak Hill with the burden of a 3 day meet and discriminating against the GIRLS. Do the same for the GIRLS as you have for the BOYS!!!!!!!! We all will be happy and YOU WILL NOT LOSE FACE. Thanks. Please don't come up with any excuses, YOU ARE IN CHARGE!!!!!!!!

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

With the mess that we have, running it as one meet and sending the best four on is the best idea.

BUT it is imperative that each school makes an effort to have nine girls on the roster each and every year. If every school in the state did so, maybe we could force the issue of adding a fourth division. Then again, I understand that the last time the team count got high enough to threaten the 3 division system, the number for a 'team' went from 7 to 9 so there would be less 'teams.'

In the end, OHSAA does not count schools, they count teams!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Why 9? Why the heck 9? ONE kid can win a state championship for his school/team....why 9?

Idiotic with no reason.

buddyholly
Freshman Team

Post by buddyholly »

Why can't you [southeast board] be honest. You have the power to change everything back the way it should be [the same as last year]. Yes, you can post on this website!!!
One athlete makes up a team in track. Remember Lincoln Cobb of Pettisville , who won the state meet by himself!!!
If we have this crazy meet with 33 girls teams, how is it going to be ran? How do you have 66 high jumpers competing at the sametime? Start the event at what height? Do you make all 66 girls wait around to jump? You are not allowed to move the bar until all have had their attempts at any given height.
Again I say ,change this madness back. Admit a mistake was made and get on with what is right!! These athletes have enough pressure on them without adding this craziness make their lives worse.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

The Southeast board CAN'T change it back to how it was last year. There are only four spots for each event qualifing to the regional from those 33 SCHOOLS. Last year there were 8. That change was done at the state level not the district.

This format is the best way to ensure that this district sends its best four onto regional and hopefully onto state.

And I hope that the 33 schools each brings a full team and has 66 jumpers (it will NEVER happen) and give everyone fits and a big stink is raised about it. Maybe we can get things changed back a year early rather than wait the usual two years.

The unfortunate truth is most of these teams won't have full participation. (Imagine if there were 66 runners in the 3200m and they had to have quarter-finals and semi-finals. Unfortunately, chances are they won't even have to have a semi-final at this meet in that event.)

What needs to be done is to play by their rules and get 33 TEAMS there and thus force OHSAA to change their decision for next year or at least for 2012!

buddyholly
Freshman Team

Post by buddyholly »

If what you say is true rrabbitt, I too hope there will be mass confusion a Oak Hill. But the true SAD part is, what is going to happen to the ATHLETES!!!
Next year I plan on retiring from coaching high school girls track after 25 years at the helm ALONE. I've been blessed with great athletes and super special young ladies that have loved the one true sport of track & field as much as myself. I pray that the mess in Oak Hill this year only lasts for this year. But I still believe in miracles!!!

coach k
Freshman Team

Post by coach k »

buddyholly,

Last year there were 17 DIII girls' schools in the SE district who competed with 9 (the number it takes to have a team) athletes. These numbers and these numbers alone are the reason there are 4 qualifiers from our district to the regional meet. The district athletic board decided to have one meet with 4 qualifiers instead of two meets with two qualifiers.

As coaches, we have to make sure we get as many schools as possible to have 9 competitors at the district meet.

Burg Track and CC Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Track and CC Fan »

What Coack K said is exactly correct. The same thing happened 4 years ago with the DIII girls cross country district. The SE got one team to the regionals and 4 individual runners because in 2004 there were only 5 teams (at least 5 runners). The Southeast was pentalized. Coaches got busy got more runners out, 2005 11 teams, 2006 12 teams. Now it is back to the way it was. Four teams and 16 individuals to the regionals.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

^^^^yes, but it took two years of being combined with the Eastern district before we got it.

Basically, this past fall's seniors only had one fair chance of making the regionals.....even that the boy's have an easier route.

90buckeye
Varsity

Post by 90buckeye »

I think we can all agree that the southeast division 3 girls teams have been dealt a very bad hand. With that said, I do know that the district manager and referee are working very hard to balance out the events and to make the schedule as fair and efficient as possible. A few adjustments will need to be made to the schedule that was sent out last week as the district manager's manual provides guidance on how races have to be ran (i.e prelims, quarters, semis and finals in the 100m dash). The district athletic board will consider the final schedule at Sunday's board meeting.

Good luck to everyone!

powerliftingnut
Freshman Team

Post by powerliftingnut »

Splits our team up with only two coaches to begin with. Now insted of two bus trips we will making five. Nice thing to do when schools are having budget troubles to begin with. This choice does in no way have the athletes best in mind. Bad choices from the people who are making them.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Division I Boys Track – Combined with East District.

Wednesday, May 20 and Friday, May 22. Meadowbrook HS, Byesville.

Boys Schools: Athens, Hillsboro, Logan, Marietta, and Warren. (5) East District Schools: Carrollton, New Philadelphia, Tri-Valley, Zanesville. (4) Four (4) qualifiers to regional.

In comparison the Division I SE/E has 9 teams total. But what about Hillsboro having to travel to Meadowbrook on a Wednesday and then have to be at school on Thursday.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'm the only varsity level coach at my school.

Same scenario as powerliftingnut

Monday I'll travel 87 miles with our girls and likely stay over night when we get back to school. Wednesday I'm going with the boys to CHillicothe and a volunteer school employee will be with the girls at Oak Hill and Saturday my jr high coach will go with the boys and the other jr high coach will go with the girls.....I'm driving to be at both.

I'm very curious to see how Monday goes at Oak Hill. Will all of those races be ran? It will be interesting.

And the boys at Chillicothe on Wednesday and Saturday......there are no girls' teams which means no girl events......will the athletes get the necessary time between events?

On the girls' side they have always awarded all-district to the champion at each Chilly and Oak Hill.....I believe this year any girl in the top 2 should be automatically awarded all-district.....pending coaches dues being paid.

blueskin
Riding the Bench

Post by blueskin »

360 miles round trip and required to pay $6 for each day. I feel violated.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

360 mile round trip?

May I ask where you came from?

Our round trip was 175 miles and few schools had a longer distance to travel....sad thing is my house is 11 miles from Oak Hill HS. We arrived back at our school at 10:20 pm.

Thanks OHSAA.

blueskin
Riding the Bench

Post by blueskin »

Ironman92 wrote:360 mile round trip?

May I ask where you came from?

Our round trip was 175 miles and few schools had a longer distance to travel....sad thing is my house is 11 miles from Oak Hill HS. We arrived back at our school at 10:20 pm.

Thanks OHSAA.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant 360 miles for three round trips. I'm coming from Frankfort.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Luckily I am only putting about 65-70 miles per trip on the car and I only have to pay for a program but I am going all four days (DII and DIII).

In the course of a track season, I easily put on over 1000 miles (over 400 just for the state meet) and have over $600 out-of-pocket expenses PLUS gas and food so this does not seem bad.

buddyholly
Freshman Team

Post by buddyholly »

For having so many athletes at Oak Hill in all the events, Kristin Ruby, the meet manager did a great job. But I still believe that the girls teams that previously went to Chillicothe with the boys SHOULD BE BACK THERE NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!! Discrimination is what it is, for the girls in Southeast Ohio. PLAIN & SIMPLE!!!
After talking to numerous coaches at the meet, NOT ONE said they thought it was RIGHT that so many girls teams were here!!! I sure hope that THIS WRONG WILL BE RIGHTED next year!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Track & Field”