Present/future state of wrestling is...

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Present/future state of wrestling is...

Post by coal miner's son »

I woke up this morning in a philosophical mood. I look back each year and I seem to take on this mood more often during this time of the season than during the latter part. Living in SE Ohio, I see schools with wrestling programs continually struggling year-in and year-out trying to get kids out and keep them out, not just for that season but the next year of high school. Why? Is it the kids? Is it the coaches? Is it the sport's popularity, or lack or it? Is it because it's too tough? (I lean this way.) Is it a culture of the region we live in? Some feel that wrestling is a sport that is dying out. And that it will remain popular in specific pockets (states/regions).

I'm writing this as a concerned person who did wrestle. I went to a school that, practically, all football players did a Winter sport followed by a Spring sport. We had wrestle-off's for weight classes. Not all weight classes, but there were wrestle-off's. Forfeits were few and far between. We had enough kids to fill all the weight classes, even if someone had to wrestle up for a match, tournament or the entire season. I did not go to school in another state and I'm not from Cleveland, I grew up in Eastern Ohio.

I look back, periodically, at that time and I try to remember the attitude of our coaches, kids and parents. We did wrestle more tri's, duals and quads. We did not wrestle a tournament every weekend, and we did not have as many injuries. Being a state champion was not the major focus, making us better people was. Whether you were there to be a better football player or to earn a letter, the tone seemed different - encouraging. Are coaches putting too much of an emphasis on creating state champions, and not creating well-rounded individuals. IF these kids that you are trying mold into well-rounded individuals too well enough to be a state champion, them this is icing on the cake not the end all be all.

I could go on an on with different examples, but this ONLY my opinion. Also, I'm not writing this with any one coach in mind but the sport and the kids. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone.

boogerred
All State

Re: Present/future state of wrestling is...

Post by boogerred »

Very good points there.

One thing I think may be a culprit is the increase of kids thinking that if something is hard that they are allowed to just quit or not even go out for it. Too many kids are content with just sitting around and playing Guitar Hero and other video games, eating potato chip and hardening their arteries. Why would they want to work hard when they have never been made to work hard for anything?

Is wrestling hard? Of course it is. But when a wrestler wins that first match or tournament, he sees that all of his hard work has paid off. Even if a kid never wins a single match, he has strengthen his heart, muscles, and his mind. If taught to work hard for things at an early enough age, kids will realize that the most fulfilling things in life are purchased with blood, sweat, and an "I will never quit" attitude.

Return to “Wrestling”