Are high school golf scores accurate?

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Re: Are high school golf scores accurate?

Post by Old Tom Morris »

ignert1

I can assure you that the scores you are seeing reported from the Ironton High School Golf Team are accurate. I would imagine that the situation is not any different at other schools.

There are many very good young players out there. Go the usga.org and look up the USGA Junior stats, look at the qualifier rounds. Those young players have to have a verifiable handicap index below 6.2 to get into the tournaments

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

I don't think there is any pencil whipping going on at the high school level - opponents would not allow it.

Yo, I tell ya one time that I wish that I had access to a fudge factor....circa 1985, freshman year at Ironton.....Portsmouth Elks front nine.....

Good old pocket aces carded a 23....

......on ONE hole. Not good times.

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

^^^^^

Yo, I put EIGHT straight in the drink. It was/is a par 3 water hole.

My opponents were literally rolling around on the grass laughing.

Not my finest moment LOL

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

PA, We have all had holes like that?? Doesn't make it easier but looking back you can see why the others were laughing. That Elks course did that to lots of players.

Inert, When I played the top 4 were capable of being within a couple strokes of par every night. the fifth, well maybe not so much but he was around 45 consistantly. After I got out of school, GAHS had a run of players that 40 wouldn't get you any higher than 5th or 6th man. I still wonder some times if some of these kids are pencil whipping but not necessarily the 1 thru 3 guys, more in the 4 thru 6's. Technology has changed the game and lowered the scores plus these kids have so much available information that they are just like every other athlete in every other sport, they are better than us old guys were.

One thing for sure, if they cheat, they should be banned from the sport for at least the season. Golf is a gentelman's game and should be respected much more than to ever cheat. By anyone!!! Descent golfers don't cheat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good golfers wouldn't even think about it!!!!!!!

Return to “Golf”