SOC2 2009

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

coop
SEOPS

Re: Soc II predictions?

Post by coop »

Valley beat Waverly 49-14 last year I believe.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Early prediction:

1.) Burg/Minford- it should be a great game this year as they both return tons of talent. Minford brings back alot of speed and experience at the skill positions, Burg lost key players but they always reload. Both teams should have a good defense and be able to score plenty of points, maybe not against each other. Good coaching on both sides of the field will have them both tough to beat next year.

3.) Waverly/Valley- Both will be much improved. Waverly's season rests on Roback and the other returners. Roback cant do it all and if the defenses of the SOC can key on him and there is nobody else to step up, they may be in for another long season. Valley has a gritty team coming back, but sorry, there is a lack of coaching and I think they get past Waverly but cant beat Burg/Minford and they will have their hands full with West. Valley looked solid at the end of last year and should have much more experience on both sides of the ball.

5.) West- could move up to 2 or 3, but they lose a boatload of talent from last year. Good coaching, should still be a very good team this year and may again make a shot at keeping the title. I was really impressed with West's coaching style last year. Triplett will again have a determined, focused team on the field.

6.) NW- they just cant seem to put anything together out there. Such a good number of boys in the school system, but they just cant put together a solid season.
Hopefully it will be a season filled with good things for the Mohawks

I really think the SOC II comes down to turnovers and mistakes again this year. It was a tight race this year, but I think it will be even better this coming year.

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

I'd just mention that Waverly has a very good returning back in Kevin Malone.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

falconater wrote:I'd just mention that Waverly has a very good returning back in Kevin Malone.

They certainly do. But it didnt seem like he had a good year last year, thus letting defenses key on Roback and stopping their offense. They need him and others to help spread the ball around and keep defenses from keying on 1-2 players and being shut down.

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

agreed. I think the line was the problem last year. Also, Roback was more comfortable (and scary) scrambling than sitting in the pocket.

THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

West win back to back titles on the legs of Pendelton. I hear he is even bigger than last year.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Pendleton last year as a sophmore did more than most seniors. For example, he had
more total yards of offense than burg had combined. West still has Murphy that is going
to be outstanding. Don't forget folks, the three headed monster still has two heads with
about four other boys wanting that 3rd head badly. Can't wait to see what happens.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

No chance West finishes worse than 3rd in the league. No way.

Pendelton and Murphy are both studs. They are going to have some hosses to run behind for sure. Some of the numbers I'm hearing from the weightroom are outstanding. IMO the offensive line will be better than last year. That is a really bad thing for the rest of these SOC II teams.

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

Burg got some big time experience last year and should be STOUT.

OST
Freshman Team

Post by OST »

daRecGuy wrote:
NewEra wrote:Burg and Minford battling it out, and I see this being the trend for a couple more years also.

Oh NO its going to be one of those years again from Muletown! The bottomline is Minford will be good until they play the W's and then they fold up, just like every other year. I usually go with the defending champs but West lost a lot and Burg is loaded, so I say the Burg takes SOC II but not without a "fight" from the WestSide!

Haha really now? I'm sorry but put yourself in our shoes. Playing them All 3 in a row isnt that easy. Especially with each an everyone of them being really good this year with maybe the exception of Waverly. I'm not using it as an excuse because there is no excused for win a ball game. But don't sit there and say we fold everytime because if we were going to fold we wouldnt have burg worried sick both games. Would of layed down and I'm pretty sure we didnt. Your Senators were really good last year BUT there not going to win it this year more then likely. They are way to young and lost tons of leadership an we all know you can't just become a leader over night.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

West will be tough.

A-Bomb
Riding the Bench

Post by A-Bomb »

well put OST....it be nice to spread the W's out and not have to play them all in a row....

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

OST wrote:
daRecGuy wrote:
NewEra wrote:Burg and Minford battling it out, and I see this being the trend for a couple more years also.

Oh NO its going to be one of those years again from Muletown! The bottomline is Minford will be good until they play the W's and then they fold up, just like every other year. I usually go with the defending champs but West lost a lot and Burg is loaded, so I say the Burg takes SOC II but not without a "fight" from the WestSide!

Haha really now? I'm sorry but put yourself in our shoes. Playing them All 3 in a row isnt that easy. Especially with each an everyone of them being really good this year with maybe the exception of Waverly. I'm not using it as an excuse because there is no excused for win a ball game. But don't sit there and say we fold everytime because if we were going to fold we wouldnt have burg worried sick both games. Would of layed down and I'm pretty sure we didnt. Your Senators were really good last year BUT there not going to win it this year more then likely. They are way to young and lost tons of leadership an we all know you can't just become a leader over night.

In response to NewEra. I like to see all the SOC teams good. But from what I've seen and been told from people around Minford, the Falcons will be very good this year and then they are going to struggle big time for a couple years.

OST is correct. West will be very young this year grade wise. But several of the juniors to be played Major roles on last years team. Like someone else mentioned, West returns 2 of the 3 backs that formed the best backfield in the area. Their offensive line is going to be very good. On defense, West runs the 5-2. For this defense to be good you better have 2 really good DE's and linebackers. They return 3 out of the 4 at those positions off of the best defense in the area last year. In coach's system, this is the formula for a very successful team.

At this time last year, the West fans were saying how good we were going to be. No one gave them any credit. It was all Minford and Burg. We saw how that turned out. Sounds alot like last year. West has always had the talent, but never a coaching staff that would put in the time and play a system that fit it. West has that now to go with the best talent to go through this school since the late 80's. West will be very good for several years and next year may be the best team in school history. Look at it this way. West fielded a great team last year with several sophs playing only varsity. At the same time, West never lost one game in JV or Freshman either and most were by large margins.

Burg and Minford have excellent skill and speed, but they will struggle big time against Tripplett unless they get stronger up the middle. West will do to them what Ironton did to Burg for years until their talent level dropped and that was go straight at them and negate the speed. Keep the game close and pound the big bodies on the little bodies and win it in the 4th quarter.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Coach Tripplett, has our youngsters believing in that the first step on the varsity field, is through the weightroom. Hear that numbers are usually 20 to 30 per day with 20 that won't miss. With alot of soon to be Jrs and Sophomores, taking it very seriously. I think that some people will be suprised how young we'll be. You have to give Alf credit at Jr high level, and Buddy done a nice job with the freshmen. It was nice to see someone working with the freshman everyday. Most staffs argue about who has to coach the freshmen. Yes we was undefeated at every level. Very few games was close this allowed freshmen to play jv, and jv to play varsity.

Coach Tripplett has more talent at West right now, than has been there in a very long time. Pendleton could be the very best to ever play at West. Along with his cousin Compton it would be hard to find a better pair of linebackers. The same thing can be said about the soon to be sophomore line. Cooper, Bricker, and Newman are very strong. I feel that Conway Cooper will be the best tackle we've had. With the talent that we have we could be one of the few teams in div.5 to play players oneway.

Next year depends on how quick these youngster mature. The soc will be very talented. And we lost some very good players. We'll have are hands full every week. But don't count us out. These kids are not used to losing.
Last edited by Black@Orange on Mon May 04, 2009 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

satis5
Waterboy

Post by satis5 »

Burg wins in what should be a not so close soc race.

West Legend
Riding the Bench

Post by West Legend »

Who does everyone think will be "back of the year", "Lineman of the year"

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Nobody could really get a good look at Wheelersburg from the West game last year. The field was in horrible condition from the rain which didn't play into Wheelersburg's favor. With the field being like it was none of Wheelersburg's kids could cut off blocks or make people miss and those were the two biggest factors for Wheelersburg all year. Wheelersburg wasn't big enough to just pound the ball straight at someone like West was able to do. On to next year. It hink it is once again going to come down to Wheelersburg and West again and posible Minford. I see all 3 teams make the playoffs reguardless.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

satis5 wrote:Burg wins in what should be a not so close soc race.

You need confidence to be successful, but arrogance can make you look a fool.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

tigers2010onhuddle wrote:Orange & Brown,
Enrollment numbers do not determine if you are in the SOC 1 or 2, if that is your question.

In a wierd sort of way they do.For instance, NW which deperately needs to be in SOC 1 is stuck in SOC 2 beacuse of thier big enrollment.

West Legend
Riding the Bench

Post by West Legend »

come on people. lets hear what u think?

Return to “Football”