Will the SEOAL survive other league expansion?

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Will the SEOAL survive other league expansion?

Post by loganlocos »

dazed&confused wrote:It is what it is. I stated on an earlier post that Logan brought more than 100 fans. Heck, Locos saw me and my family there and we had almost 20 alone. BUT, we can't put ourselves in the place of whoever made the decision for Ironton to leave the conference. I'll side with Ironton that Logan should play teams closer to their own size, if only to enhance their playoff potential. I hope this move works out for Ironton because if it doesn't, there won't be an option to return anytime soon to the SEOAL. And I'm sure they took that into consideration. I'll leave it to other Logan posters to puff out their chest and deride Ironton for leaving. That's your choice. All I'll say is good luck to the Tigers and I hope they wish the same to us. This chapter is closed.

I wish Ironton no ill will. I don't think they'll find the grass any greener when it comes to football attendance or travel distances, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

I do think they will save a lot of money in the non-revenue sports where the Lawrence and Scioto County schools will still schedule them.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

LoganLocos wrote:
dazed&confused wrote:It is what it is. I stated on an earlier post that Logan brought more than 100 fans. Heck, Locos saw me and my family there and we had almost 20 alone. BUT, we can't put ourselves in the place of whoever made the decision for Ironton to leave the conference. I'll side with Ironton that Logan should play teams closer to their own size, if only to enhance their playoff potential. I hope this move works out for Ironton because if it doesn't, there won't be an option to return anytime soon to the SEOAL. And I'm sure they took that into consideration. I'll leave it to other Logan posters to puff out their chest and deride Ironton for leaving. That's your choice. All I'll say is good luck to the Tigers and I hope they wish the same to us. This chapter is closed.

I wish Ironton no ill will. I don't think they'll find the grass any greener when it comes to football attendance or travel distances, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

I do think they will save a lot of money in the non-revenue sports where the Lawrence and Scioto County schools will still schedule them.

That's the way I see it. I hope they don't think they can get 7 home dates a year. That would be a mistake.

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

I too wish Ironton well. They are doing what they believe is best for their kids, and I can't second guess that. I don't believe they are leaving because they took in any less money than anyone else. I have some trouble believing that their gate take was bigger when they were independents, as they played five or six games they would play anywhere, and then small school Columbus powers. Doesn't sound like a great equation for huge gates.

Ironton is leaving the league because moving the golf, tennis and soccer teams to Logan, Warren and Marietta is not a cheap feat. It has little to do with football and basketball, but rather with the no or low gross sports.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

OUCH! :122246

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

One year they had to play Portsmouth twice. I think it was 97 but I don't remember.

distance40
Freshman Team

Post by distance40 »

Blue_nd_Gray wrote:
distance40 wrote:gahs4ever,
I am not saying that GAH isn't doing fine they are doing pretty good. Any team needs support, no matter the record in my opinion. However a losing record isn't a first time thing for Marietta, its happened alot the last few years and that is even hard on the strongest of fans. But Marietta I think will have a much better attendance this week.

A few years of 1-8 will discourage fans much more. GA hasn't been competitive in the SEOAL in BB or Football for a few years now, I don't see that changing.

I'd say since 2000, GA has had as much or more success in football which i was referrin too. Yeah I know they've had some down years but as gahs4ever said strong years just swing back and forth and thats what both Marietta and GA has had the past few years. But a 3 peat this decade is still pretty good and saying something about your program.

JoeRoberts
Waterboy

Post by JoeRoberts »

I will say this: the superintendent at Warren has flat out staed that football at Warren does not make much if any money because of the cost of equipment and coaches and so forth (coaching staff comes to about $30,000 alone).

As for the other sports, often cited as "minor" sports or low gate or low income sports - I help with home cross country meets at Warren and we bring between $3-5,000 for the one meet. That covers all their costs for one year.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Marietta was admitted to the ECOL today. Along with Rosecrans.

bigcatmarietta
Freshman Team

Post by bigcatmarietta »

gahs4ever at the risk of sounding rude, i also mean no disrespect, but i wish you would keep the Marietta Tigers out of your post and out of your mouth. all youve done is talk them down. i was at the game your "great" fans came to see. counting the band your team had about 100 people on that side of the field in the seats. The tigers may have had 300. give me your address ill mail you a copy of the game film. you can count for yourself.

The Marietta football team has many more problems than this new league they are getting involved with. There problems are with the board, the parents, anyone who thinks they can do a better job with those kids but don’t have the guts to sit down with the man in charge, ANDY SCHOB, and talk like you have some sense. Those people would rather sign a form go to a board meeting and bash the Coaching staff behind there backs. Of any of those people that know so much football, how many of them are qualified to coach. How many of them know what its like to have half of the starters from your first game go down to injury by week 3 and have to play using freshmen that have not won more than 5 games since they have been in 7th grade. I have a very deep attachment to Marietta football and all the kids that are involved today. I have played for Marietta, been a fan and coached for the Tigers. I want them to Win more than anyone. The city of Marietta needs to understand there has to be people put in place and those people have to have a chance to build. I will agree that there are attitudes and people that have to understand we have to grow and listen to each other on the staff, if it will ever work and become a winning program. Marietta can be a winning program, there is a lot of talent on that team returning for next year. I love Marietta football and with what is going on in the town, the school board, and the parents. If you can do better get an application and apply for the job. If not shut up and trust what the school board has hired. The school board needs to trust what they hired and let time work. Mariettafootball.com has a list of all the coaches and there records take a look at all the loosing seasons and how long they lasted. Coaches are pushed and wanted to win every year with no time to get a system in place. Marietta Football is in a sad place at a sad time. I personally want to thank schenk11 for all he has done for me while I worked at for Marietta Football. Andy Schob thank you for the opportunities you gave me over my time working with you. All the other assistants thanks I have learned a lot by watching you all work, good and bad. I wish everyone the best.

gahs4ever so like I said I mean no disrespect but we have enough going on in this town without you adding in what you think you know. I remember last 2 seasons ago when Marietta beat GAHS on that swampy football field how the Marietta football team was treated and cursed at by GAHS parents and fans. I just don’t think there as great as you think. I also don’t think after what I know now about the Marietta fans and support system I don’t think they are great either.

So I would ask anyone who reads this to take a long look in the mirror and think b4 you trash me or my thoughts. I thought long and hard b4 writing this, you can say what you like to me. My decision is made. My thoughts are my own. These are my feelings. I may be Wright I may be wrong. I do not know what is going to happen in Marietta but the Town and people supporting the program has to get of there high horse and grow up. One guy thinks he is the be all end all and every kid he has ever had that played for the Tigers was the best they have ever seen in Marietta sure wish they would have left for the baby blue uniforms, then the mother that thinks her son is so deprived that she feels so important and so enlightened she will keep the Marietta A.D. tied up for a whole game and talk his ear off about something I am sure was nothing but garbage. Also sending countless emails and letters to anyone involved with the program that she thinks will listen. Always telling anyone how high and mighty she is and how bad they are. I feel sorry for you all. I wish all the luck in the world to the Marietta tigers staff that is still at the school. I hope change is coming. Not coaching changes opinion and thinking changes.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

^^^^^^^
Surely you are not talking about the 2009 game. If you were, there must have been two games, because those were not the attendance numbers at the game that I went to.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

I feel I can speak for 4-ever BCM before he responds. 1st off I know for a fact he respects Marietta for their programs and their coaches,and especially their athletes and the competition they have provided for the school he follows. There is no question about that. He takes the high road on here about certain things he is privy to, and that is probably the proper thing to do.HOWEVER,if you were to PM him or talk to him personally,he may convey some info and facts that he is aware of that have occurred at GAHS and this would undoubtedly force you to say only two words....."Holy shi....."He may do this. I do not know.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

ZV,

When will Marietta be entering the ECOL?

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

I would suspect '11, if possible. I know there is a notice period to leave the SEOAL, so I think they'd probably still be in there through next season. But that is my best guess only. Rosecrans and Zanesville, being independents right at the moment, and pending contracts, could get in as early as next year in just about everything other than football.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:I would suspect '11, if possible. I know there is a notice period to leave the SEOAL, so I think they'd probably still be in there through next season. But that is my best guess only. Rosecrans and Zanesville, being independents right at the moment, and pending contracts, could get in as early as next year in just about everything other than football.

That makes sense. Thanks for the information.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

JoeRoberts wrote:I will say this: the superintendent at Warren has flat out staed that football at Warren does not make much if any money because of the cost of equipment and coaches and so forth (coaching staff comes to about $30,000 alone).

As for the other sports, often cited as "minor" sports or low gate or low income sports - I help with home cross country meets at Warren and we bring between $3-5,000 for the one meet. That covers all their costs for one year.

Most AD's and people close to sports know that football supports itself but does little for other sports. It makes the most money by far usually but is also the most expensive by far and thus turns little profit. Basketball is usually the sport that contributes the most money to an athletic department because it is relatively inexpensive(at least compared with football) , and although not as many people attend a Bball game there are twice as many. "Some" other sports may contribute a little (track, volleyball, it's probably different at each school based on success) , but Basketball is what is the big money sport for the athletic department as a whole. Sports like baseball, softball, golf, tennis, etc. that often don't collect gates and/or concessions make no money but (especially in the case of baseball and softball) , are quite expensive.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Just a sidelight, Bedford Pa had a playoff game two weeks ago in Pittsburgh vs a city league team. When we arrived there were probaly 400 people on our side and after the three buses of students it was full. On the other side and I swear to this there were zero fans.......zero, after halftime we counted 14 people on thier side.
Keep you chins up in Marietta, it take a short time to win a couple of games but it takes a decade plus to build a program. Our Bisons of Bedford have reached the elite eight for the first time since 1992, our record last year 1-9, our coach is leaving after this season. It is great to make it this far, but those of us involved realize that its the program that matters most and we are building for the future

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Perfect analysis right there.

Our football program struggled for most of a decade and it's taken a lot of work to get it back on solid ground and successful again. It's just as difficult to stay successful once you get there, as our boys basketball program knows. I think schools should give more consideration to sustainability of the program rather than hit-and-miss seasons of success based solely on the fluctuations in talent.

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

the seoal would be a great conference if it were made up of ironton gallia portsmouth jackson chilli and maybe 1 other team. while logan is in that league everybody will be playing for second place for a long time. this group is manageable drive time wise size wise

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Datchillicav makes an interesting point about the profit that basketball can make in comparison to football.......I know for a fact that in the late 80's, Portsmouth made $50,000 in one year in basketball, and since we were really good consistently back then, the profit numbers were probably close to that figure for almost a decade or so.

If you have 5 home games in football and average 2,000 in attendance, and have 10 home games in basketball, with an average attendance of 1,000, then which sport turns the most profit?.......the gate numbers are the same, but as datchillicav said, basketball would actually turn more profit being less costly to run a basketball program as opposed to football.

For football to be truly the "big dog" in revenue, it must be very successful or must have a very loyal base of fans......which few schools have........winning brings fans in and losing keeps them away.......of course it works the same way with basketball......

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

A lot has happened in a short period of time. I think the dust now has to settle before we explore the way forward for various leagues. For one, leagues that have expanded significantly now have to assess the landscape and be wary of further expansion for growth's sake. So I say this with the firm belief that the SEOAL as now constituted will continue for the foreseeable future.

Return to “Football”