Gallia Academy 2010

BBallin fool
SEOP

Re: Gallia Academy 2010

Post by BBallin fool »

Wellston ,Marietta!!!! Got to look who's coming back???Sorry !!!Who wil they beat??? :roll:

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I don't know how it shifted to bball but I'll chime in on that one..... The game has changed but remains the same in alot of ways, what has changed at GAHS is less attention to offensive detail and a stagnant offensive gameplan. The things GAHS sighted as old school are not found in our offense and the reason we have so many turnovers is a result of that. We don't utilize screens, back door cuts, give and gos, pick and rolls and simple player movement as much as most teams and these areas have become worse over the past 15 or so years. Blame the kids all you want GAHS but simply put our offense breeds turnovers especially against teams with good ball pressure. We allow our opposition to rest when we have the ball and then kill ourselves on the defensive end. I will agree about the Oz factor about being a great person and mentor. Also many kids don't play and the ones that do aren't willing to put in the work needed to be great because they see the system as it is and are in the practices and hear what is actually said to them. Big problem is kids not participating that like the game, play it on a regular basis, and are some of the schools better athletes. Many kids would play even as seniors if they could play JV ball for Coach Moore and Thomas. The kids also have quality jh coaching.

I'll leave you guys to argue out the fb thing but I will say that offensively our teams were fine in the past, defense was our shortcoming. I really didn't see us running through one guy any but we were blessed with some very talented kids that stood out above the rest and maybe gave our offense that perception. Would you have run your o through DJ?? If not you are losing credibality with everyone on here. Would you have tried to get Haggerty the ball in open space several times a game??

Next year should be better but we have some quality kids to replace. The schedule is easier for sure next year but only slightly.

Agreed that dropping Ironton would be very childish for the stated reason. However they will be better next year than they were this year.

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

My son tells me that there are definitely more kids in the weight room and that there are significant gains being made in the strength of many of the players.

I hope many of these players stick it out through summer conditioning. If we have a big fallout again, it will be tough to compete without the headcount needed on the roster. Coach Eddy certainly seems to know how to run off-season conditioning. These players will be well-conditioned and ready to play from a physical standpoint if the kids stick with it.

My concern is the tactical training. I hope that the improvement that we saw late last year will carry through to this year. Perhaps it was the kids learning a new system, but early in the year, there were lots of missed assignments on both sides of the ball that caused them to look worse than the athletes they had.

It should be obvious early in the scrimmages which way the season is going to go.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Well said, GAHS-4-Ever.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

[quote="JChipwood"]I don't know how it shifted to bball but I'll chime in on that one..... The game has changed but remains the same in alot of ways, what has changed at GAHS is less attention to offensive detail and a stagnant offensive gameplan. The things GAHS sighted as old school are not found in our offense and the reason we have so many turnovers is a result of that. We don't utilize screens, back door cuts, give and gos, pick and rolls and simple player movement as much as most teams and these areas have become worse over the past 15 or so years. Blame the kids all you want GAHS but simply put our offense breeds turnovers especially against teams with good ball pressure. We allow our opposition to rest when we have the ball and then kill ourselves on the defensive end. I will agree about the Oz factor about being a great person and mentor. Also many kids don't play and the ones that do aren't willing to put in the work needed to be great because they see the system as it is and are in the practices and hear what is actually said to them. Big problem is kids not participating that like the game, play it on a regular basis, and are some of the schools better athletes. Many kids would play even as seniors if they could play JV ball for Coach Moore and Thomas. The kids also have quality jh coaching.

Good post. There is no doubt that OZ can teach kids the game of basketball. He might be the best in southeastern Ohio at doing so. Maybe that is what is really important. All I am saying is that the offense needs a serious upgrade. Passing the ball around the perimeter for 3 minutes is not progressive. It will not win a championship in the new SEOAL.

I'll leave you guys to argue out the fb thing but I will say that offensively our teams were fine in the past, defense was our shortcoming. I really didn't see us running through one guy any but we were blessed with some very talented kids that stood out above the rest and maybe gave our offense that perception. Would you have run your o through DJ?? If not you are losing credibality with everyone on here. Would you have tried to get Haggerty the ball in open space several times a game??

Ok, I think some misunderstood my original post. I clearly stated that I thought the offense was fine for the most part. It was exciting, and a touchdown could come at any moment. There was some great football played in those years. I do not and I repeat do not think that all the old regime did was try to run the offense through one player. I am saying there were times when plan a and plan b weren't working that Gallia had a tendency to go to the same player over and over for a bailout. It worked most of the time, but against some of the better teams it was exposed. Once again I really enjoyed watching those teams.

Now as far as the defense goes. Anyone who watched the Saunders era defense and the Bokovitz era defense could see the obvious huge differences. There is no need to elaborate.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Come on Daniel...name one

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

I see daniel's point..... :lol: ..... Wonder how we made the playoffs 4 years in a row under Boko without having a descent defense.... :122246

DYNAM0
Waterboy

Post by DYNAM0 »

Gallia use to thump Meigs on a regular basis. Now they are dodging Meigs from what my buddies from Pomeroy tell me.

Fun in the Sun
Freshman Team

Post by Fun in the Sun »

Just wondering when the “private” was coming in for the kill.................. LOL ......

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

DYNAM0 wrote:Gallia use to thump Meigs on a regular basis. Now they are dodging Meigs from what my buddies from Pomeroy tell me.

Why in the world would Gallia Academy "dodge" Meigs? :lol:

Pretty sure Meigs dropped us, but for what reason I don't know.

Dodge Meigs and play Wellston and Columbus Hartley? :roll:

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

GalliaGrad78 wrote:
DYNAM0 wrote:Gallia use to thump Meigs on a regular basis. Now they are dodging Meigs from what my buddies from Pomeroy tell me.

Why in the world would Gallia Academy "dodge" Meigs? :lol:

Pretty sure Meigs dropped us, but for what reason I don't know.

Dodge Meigs and play Wellston and Columbus Hartley? :roll:

Now us dodging meigs is a joke how many years did meigs not even score or score very little on our "weak defenses" most of the games were pretty lopsided people forget that most of your tvc teams are old seoal teams that could'nt cut it in the league

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Isn't the TVC changing their name to SEOALJRs--lol

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Dont worry Fun... You enjoy your time as the knowledgeable "insider". I wont rain on your parade. I wont put any facts on here unless I decide to. Its hard to say. I might or I might not. Its just really hard to tell at this particular moment. I could...I might... Maybe I will bide my time. It is just impossible to dissertain at this time....But keep in touch.....I might toss a couple morsels for thought here and there. You just never know.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

:roll: :roll: :roll: LOL

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

With all do respect to everyone, I would never drop Ironton. They are one of the very best teams around and if you are a good coach and a good team you want to play the best to see where you are. I also would like to see us play Meigs and Point Pleasant they are close for travel and seem to always bring a nice gate.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

BBallin fool wrote:Wellston ,Marietta!!!! Got to look who's coming back???Sorry !!!Who wil they beat??? :roll:

Huh? Now you can't really be serious, can you?

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

LOL!!! You need some "FOOTBALL"Hard nose players!!!Not sour grapes.Your just PO Over OZ!!!GOOD LUCK GA.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

I like recyclable aluminum.lol

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

LOL :roll:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

gahs4ever wrote:To get back to football: Just to show what kind of prophet I am during the early 00's when GAHS was enjoying all those playoff years; winning week 11 games in 1999, 2002, 2003, and 2006, and going to the regional finals in 1999, all the while winning three straight SEOAL titles 2002-03-04 that our fans were becoming spoiled. Winning never satisfies; it only creates an appetite for more winning, and when you get used to going to the playoffs, anything less is substandard and unacceptible.

These people fail to realize that prior to 1999, GAHS had only been to the playoffs twice in school history and had yet to win a playoff game. They also fail to realize how many schools in SE Ohio have NEVER come close to a playoff berth EVER and would give anything to have our history. Finally they fail to look at other successful programs historically that have experienced a similar dropoff like we have. Jackson comes to mind. Up until 1998 they had won more SEOAL football championships than any school in history. They havent won one since 1998 and Logan has surpassed them with the most titles. Athens in fourth on the list behind GAHS, but when was the last time they won one before they left for the TVC?

The point being that every school experiences ups and downs and some classes are stronger and deeper than others. But you let a couple or few down years show up and heads will roll. That mentality seems to be surfacing everywhere these days and Im not sure we are the better for it.

This past fall at the awards recognition, our football coach who had just concluded his first season with a 2-8 record began talking about the season by saying that they didnt win as many games as he and the team had hoped and that if he had a repeat 2-8 next year it would probably be his last awards night as coach. It drew a laugh from the audience as he meant it to, but there is a growing impatience with administrators and fans with their coaches who dont win and some schools in recent years have been nothing more than coaching carousels (see Warren Local).

Thats says it all right there! :122245

Great post!!!

Return to “Football”