Whats going on at Bob Lutz Field

moonshine
SEO

Re: Whats going on at Bob Lutz Field

Post by moonshine »

The pool is almost as bad as your cracker box basketball pit locker room was, where we had to dress back in 1971. You guy's really need to come out of the dark ages and install field tuff! You guy's have the support in and around your area!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I hope we keep the grass field myself, pretty soon it will become an advantage due to everyone else having Turf and getting use to playing on them.

KEEP THE GRASS.............

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i've said that for years myself, but the new turfs are so much safer than grass now, and after the initial investment, are nearly maintenance free.i'd love to see a turfed tank.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Just keep in mind you can practise on the field everyday which helps during game day.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

excellent point, as well as handling various weather conditions that could lead to practice injuries , which can be every bit as bad as game injuries. in fact i'd venture to say more serious injuries happen in practice, when you compare the amount of time spent practicing to actual gametime.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Getting ready to do some painting on the Tank.

The new Concession Stand and rest rooms at the end of the end zone.

The end of Tiger Alley on the new School Building.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

I love the idea with the concession stand in the endzone..Painting will help the look out some..The Building is nice with the Tiger Stripes...but as usual..come rain and cold...we are always comfy on the home side...Advantage Tigers...Less than a month til Ironton/Burg...Go Tigers...

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

go back to the side view of the stadium, i've been telling them this for years , imagine the brick part on the bottom black, the middle section white , and the top section orange. it would be as sharp as any stadium in the state, especially with the new roof, which i feel should be a green metal roof, last 40-50 years with no problem.

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

Would be nice if they could find some way for air to move through the grandstand again. It used to be open at the top. Those early season games are tough, like being in an oven.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

The stadium needs a lot more work than some paint. The restrooms are terrible and extremely outdated underneath the stadium. I'm surprised someone hasn't sued the school district yet for not being handicapped accessible. There's no way you can get a wheelchair into any of those restrooms. Not to mention the home stands themselves, with the rotting wood. I hope they also manage to update the sound system. It seems like every game you have your ears busted with the squealing from the speakers.

I know it's a "historical" site and people in Ironton absolutely hate change of any kind, but I wish they would tear down the stands and rebuild it in the same style totally updated. Not that they would ever have the money to do so. I also agree about field turf. The team has to practice in the extremely hard field on the track and the school can't even use the stadium field during football season for anything else. Installing turf would give so much more usability to the school district. Of course, people in Ironton will resist any and all change.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

tk421 wrote:The stadium needs a lot more work than some paint. The restrooms are terrible and extremely outdated underneath the stadium. I'm surprised someone hasn't sued the school district yet for not being handicapped accessible. There's no way you can get a wheelchair into any of those restrooms. Not to mention the home stands themselves, with the rotting wood. I hope they also manage to update the sound system. It seems like every game you have your ears busted with the squealing from the speakers.

I know it's a "historical" site and people in Ironton absolutely hate change of any kind, but I wish they would tear down the stands and rebuild it in the same style totally updated. Not that they would ever have the money to do so. I also agree about field turf. The team has to practice in the extremely hard field on the track and the school can't even use the stadium field during football season for anything else. Installing turf would give so much more usability to the school district. Of course, people in Ironton will resist any and all change.

Tank Stadium is Registered as an Historical Landmark, you can't just tear it down........
The Rest Rooms are being remodeled. I say stick with grass, look at these studies:

Studies done on natural grass vs Field Turf injuries.........interesting.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra- ... field-turf

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGdF0l.UlMG ... -grass.swf

http://sportsinjuries.suite101.com/arti ... ural_grass

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I'd love to see turf put on Bob Lutz' field myself but who's goin' pay for it? I love the stadium though and sure disagree that it would be good to tear it down to get aluminum bleachers which, more often than not are nothing but something served up from a cookie cutter. Tank Stadium is cozy, it's covered and how sweet it is to sit there in a down pour ..(remember the Boyd County game from the 80's? it was raining so hard you couldn't hardly see them over there, must have been one miserable time :-D )

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

A metal roof on the home side is the way to go. Nothing less than 26 gauge steel, should be 24 gauge for best results

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

How are they remodeling the restrooms? Unless they knock out the walls, it's still not wide enough for two people to get through at the same time, let alone a wheelchair.

It's pretty sad when the football team can't even practice on their own home field. Grass doesn't give the school the versatility of field turf. You could have the football team practicing on it, the band could use it, pee wee football, gym classes, etc. Not to mention the lower cost of maintenance.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

according to studies there are far less injuries in High School playing on grass than there are on Turf, that alone is a good enough reason to keep grass IMO.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Gosh, if ironton were able to practice on their own field, maybe their coach would have become the most winningest coach in OHIO history? Oh wait, he is and he did it by practicing on a "practice field."

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

seriously 85, everyone knows coach lutz is the winningest coach in ohio high school history. some of us are actually thinking about the kids safety, and the renovation of the tank. nobody wants it dismantled. just renovated. they can't even wash the bleachers off on the home side, for fear of flooding the bottom , or cutting out the electricity. and as i suggested a metal roof would be awesome, strong, lightweight. and very durable. you can't possibly believe that chopped up practice field is safe for practice, even though ironton has such a winning tradition. is it worth one kid losing an acl.the versatility of field turf would present so many more options, maintenance free. you've seen the field during some games, the boyd county game kantucky mentioned, the cape game, portsmouth vs. portsmouth west, playoff game. i love that football should really be played in the elements as well. but we must think of safety as well. renovations to the tank, will not affect it's historical marker status. still a diehard tiger fan, in waverly, ytb.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:seriously 85, everyone knows coach lutz is the winningest coach in ohio high school history. some of us are actually thinking about the kids safety, and the renovation of the tank. nobody wants it dismantled. just renovated. they can't even wash the bleachers off on the home side, for fear of flooding the bottom , or cutting out the electricity. and as i suggested a metal roof would be awesome, strong, lightweight. and very durable. you can't possibly believe that chopped up practice field is safe for practice, even though ironton has such a winning tradition. is it worth one kid losing an acl.the versatility of field turf would present so many more options, maintenance free. you've seen the field during some games, the boyd county game kantucky mentioned, the cape game, portsmouth vs. portsmouth west, playoff game. i love that football should really be played in the elements as well. but we must think of safety as well. renovations to the tank, will not affect it's historical marker status. still a diehard tiger fan, in waverly, ytb.

YTB

Have you read the articles I posted about Natural Grass vs Field Turf injuries yet??????? Natural Grass is much safer, I walked the practice field this morning after practice and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's not chopped up at all and I was quite surprised on how great a shape it was actually in.

Again here's some studies done on natural grass vs Field Turf injuries.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra- ... field-turf

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGdF0l.UlMG ... -grass.swf

http://sportsinjuries.suite101.com/arti ... ural_grass

I'm sure some renovation answeres can be found here if someone wanted to find out what can or can't be done to the Stadium and what steps need to be taken. There's nothing I'd like better than to have the Tank completely fixed up myself but you can't just start tearing things apart and replacing them.

Ohio Historic Preservation Office
1982 Velma Avenue
Columbus, OH 43211-2497
(614)298-2000 / Fax 298-2037

http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/his ... tpres.html

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I can vouch for the fact that you were over on the practice field this morning OHbuckeye1.

The only ACL injury I know that we had last year was on a turf field at Coal Grove, although We did have a serious knee injury on a grass field at Ashland. Without reading your articles OHbuckeye1, I would think that turf would be harder on the knees than grass.

Return to “Football”