Paladin's Pigskin Picks --Wk 2

Paladin
SEOP

Paladin's Pigskin Picks --Wk 2

Post by Paladin »

All right sports fans......... another week of SEOAL football. I had a bad opener week going 5-2 on my picks. But the SEOAL rolled up computer points in going 4-3 in non-league games. This week has even tougher match-ups to choose from.....

CHILLI @ Big Walnut -- Chilli is just flat out awful, having been butt kicked by lowly Hamilton Twp. Cavs have no D this year and play one of Central Ohio's stronger D-2 programs. Big Nut will run up the score on the Cavs. BIG NUT

Hillsboro @ GALLIA -- Gallia opened with a butt kicking of former SEOAL member Athens. This match-up of the SCOL vs the SEOAL should be entertaining. The Devils should make short work of Hillsboro who plays an extremely weak schedule. GALLIA

Morgan @ WARREN -- Hapless Morgan is entertained by Warren, who will prove to be poor hosts by embarrassing the Raiders. The Warriors should roll up a big score in this one. In a laugher, WARREN

Parkersburg @ MARIETTA -- West Virginia vs Ohio. Usually thats a mismatch, but not this year. Big Red may not be the old power they were but should still have more than Marietta can handle. In a competitive game, the Tigers come up short,.. PARKERSBURG

PORTSMOUTH @ Portsmouth West -- Trojans off to a good start beating tough Wilmington and have a second competitive game at West. West has a strong run game but Portsmouth has more weapons on O. The Trojans long time problem has been a failure to field good D teams. This one should be a shootout and lots of computer points for the winner....... PORTSMOUTH

JACKSON @ Waverly -- Former SEOAL member Waverly entertains Jackson, a major upset loser in the opener. Waverly, who ran from the SEOAL because they got beat something awful there, isn't very good this year. Unfortunately, Jackson doesn't appear to be very good either. In a hapless game that someone has to win, look for the SEOAL to continue its voodoo on the Tigers..... JACKSON

LOGAN @ PIckerington North -- The Chief have dominated the Panthers badly in this series for years. North lost to Youngstown Cardinal Mooney in the opener & Logan bowed to Lancaster. This could be a very competitive game, but one in which Logan, still striving for experience, faces a good North team boosted by transfers from next door Reynoldsburg. Look for Logan to make major strides and play North close, but in the end, get edged at the finish..... PICKERINGTON NORTH

Looking for the SEOAL to go 4-3 this week-end. Thats still adding to the computer points total for the league Champ. No change in the outlook that both Logan & Portsmouth appear to be the top teams this season. Warren & Gallia may be better and Jackson maybe be a weaker team than most thought. The basement will be fought for by Chilli & Marietta.

Go SEOAL

JChipwood
All Conference

Re: Paladin's Pigskin Picks --Wk 2

Post by JChipwood »

Looks good except Parkersburg will have no trouble beating Etta, PHS has hands down the best RB the area has seen since probably Jermon Jackson.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

good stuff paladin!!

THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

JChipwood wrote:Looks good except Parkersburg will have no trouble beating Etta, PHS has hands down the best RB the area has seen since probably Jermon Jackson.

Don't you mean Portsmouth West has the best RB.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I knew that would come and make no mistake about it, NO. TP is a very good player but Allen is in a league of his own. TP may be the best all around player though. AW may be better at this stage of his career than Jermon was his sr year which says alot. He is much stronger and quicker than Jermon was and displays incredible balance.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Aren't you comparing a FB with a TB ?

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Easy pickins this week for Paladin. I like all your picks but one. I hope you are right and i am wrong, but I think West beats portsmouth this season.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

lol yes someone is.................. If I were to pick one guy to tote the rock for me 20 a game, it would be AW.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Hey, 85inside

Its an interesting match-up. But West has one player you have to stop. Portsmouth is full of athletes and can hurt you running or throwing and a good QB who can run or throw . Makes it much tougher for West.If Trojans had a D, it wouldn't be a game. They don't, so the game will be very competitive. Each will win lots of games so the winner gets a ton of computer points.

Besides, I'm a "guru". :lol: :lol: :lol:

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Even a "guru" will miss a few. :lol: We can agree to disagree. I also feel the weather may come into play a bit here. I am hearing a little bit of rain may be a problem. Just not sure that PHS is as good as advertised. We will see what we shall see.

On a side note, and if you don't want to burn up space on this thread, you can answer me in a PM....What do you think about the future of the SEOAL? Do you see anyone else bolting? Do you see the SEOAL in a position to invite anyone "willing" to join them?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Actually, I see a shot that Logan may leave. Warren also ranks up there as someone who may leave because of geography. Look for them to go TVC, MVL or ECOL. Sooner or later, there will be changes in Central Ohio leagues and Logan will get an invitation. It will improve travel for them and improve the competition. Also, I could see it being used as a stepping stone to another , better, bigger Central Ohio league that will open up to them. The first league gives them exposure & contacts that lead to a second , better league extending them an offer.

The sad fact is that Logan, as a founding member, has made out better than the rest of the league in retaining their school size. Most of SEO is wasting away and dropping into much smaller divisions. Thats has scared many teams and emboldened them to weaken their schedules to win. That in turn has made it too easy for Logan to stomp everyone with the lack of competitveness. That also hurts Logan because a schedule of bigger, better schools would let Logan grow its athletic teams. While the SEOAL is still the toughest league in SEO, its still a weak sister with other areas of Ohio.

The SEOAL will still be around, but it will be smaller division schools and may well lose its reputation as SEO's toughest league. Logan has a few more years yet in the league, so it will hold the title of toughest league in SEO for awhile .

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

Good post. Do you think the SEOAL from top to bottom is stronger than say the MVL? Is the MVL a possibility for Logan?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Maybe this year. In the past , would have ranked the MVL tougher top to bottom than the SEOAL. The MVL, much like the SEOAL is declining in attendance and has been getting noticably weaker. The Champs should match up well. The middle would be an edge to the MVL, but the bottom of the league would see real big gaps where the SEOAL is clearly weaker. New Lex has been a real dropoff. John Glenn has been spotty. Only Sheridan & Tri-Valley has stayed tough.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

85inside -

I don't think the MVL is a possibility for Logan.

However, the Mid State League (MSL) is a possible destination if the opportunity came along. A division with Logan (D2), Chillicothe (D3), Teays Valley (D2), Canal Winchester (D2), Hamilton Township (D2), and possibly Logan Elm (D3), Circleville (D3), or Bloom Carroll (D3) could look appealing.

Not to mention that Groveport (D1) is finding it harder to compete in the OCC and may want out, the same for Licking County Schools Watkins Memorial (D2) and Licking Heights (FAST growing D4, could be D2 soon).

That would move Amanda (D4) to another division, possibly with Licking Valley/Heath, Bexley, etc. giving them more competitive balance in ALL sports.

Just some food for thought.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Lots of good stuff on this thread. I do believe Logan moves on to another league. It has to in the long run to remain relevant. SEOAL realigns with other D3-D4 schools and retains its stature as best league in SEO. But I do believe the tectonic plates will shift and allow formation of a new league or division of an existing one with many of the schools Locos and Paladin named in previous posts. 'Course, I've been saying that for awhile now.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

i'm afraid that if obamanomics keeps going in the direction that they're headed that, school population in Ohio is destined to dwindle even further, as has the working population.
causing schools to look in other directions to lessen the economic burden that is being placed upon them, by this situation.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

darn Barack Obama! lol

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

grizzlynatural wrote:darn Barack Obama! lol
I was thinking more Ted Strickland, not Obama. :lol:

Good stuff on this thread. Sorry to pirate the picks thread, but this has been good.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

BTW -- I should have mentioned, while I picked Pickerington North, I believe the game has a chance of being close. With Montgomery, Logan, if they keep it close ,will always be in a game with his leg. I still think they need another big game with a good D-I school before they are ready to take off and really fly. But they could sneak in here and win a close game. Thats the risk of picking against Logan this year. They have really good talent again, they just don't have enough experience yet. But thats coming & the biggest gain in playing ability always comes between the first & second game. North is supposed to be good and make the D-I playoffs again, but the history of the series with the two schools shows Logan has been the one to show up in prime time -- 6 Logan wins and I North win ( 13- 10 squeaker). Hated to pick against Logan as a win is possible but still need that game seasoning. Maybe Lancaster was enough !

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin -

I like your picks as well, although I think West will beat Portsmouth.

While Portsmouth has the ability to be 2 dimensional, they haven't been able to make it happen through the air against a quality opponent. It will have to happen this week or next for the Trojans to win.

Should be interesting. IMO, the Gallia, Logan, and Portsmouth game are toss-ups while Big Nut, Parkersburg, Warren, and Jackson should win easily.

Return to “Football”