Week 3 Warren @ Athens

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Week 3 Warren @ Athens

Post by loganlocos »

playaction -

I don't think the poster was trying to give those two all the credit, just my view.

But about the game, I think it is Warren's to win and agree that it comes down to how their defense plays. Warren is a dark horse for the SEOAL title this year, and I think they can use this week as another chance to get better.

Go Warren, Go SEOAL

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Again i gotta go against the tvc and choose warren.

whsbeernuts04
Freshman Team

Post by whsbeernuts04 »

I thought Warren needed to win 6-7 games and one of those games being against a team in a higher division with a 500 record or better as one of those teams to make the playoffs this year....... I could be wrong!!!! They may need to win 8 or 9 games. So far they have beaten 2 teams with no wins and are playing a team this week with no wins as well. Checked Joe Eitel and Warren is currently ranked 12th and is the worst 2-0 team in the region based on quality wins. I know it's way to early for this but I don't like the trend either. I believe Warren wins this game, but they are gonna have to win their next 2 or 3 games to remain in the conversation for the playoffs. I remember last year Warren started 6-0 and didn't even hold a playoff position based on quality wins....... lets see what happens after the dust settles this week :-)

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

Beernuts, Warren will have to go atleast 9-1 to get into the playoffs I can promise you that. There in one of the toughest regions in the entire state as fortune would have it. Nothing less than 9-1 gets them in with that lose being to Logan, Gallia or Portsmouth. I believe if they had wins against Portsmouth, Jackson, Gallia they would have a legit shot. However one game at a time, next up the Bulldogs.

Warren - 28
Athens - 14

whsbeernuts04
Freshman Team

Post by whsbeernuts04 »

Excuse me for continuing the playoff talk here, but hardrock21, assuming Logan has a .500+ season (so far if I'm not mistaken they are winless or may be 1-1 I know they lost to Lancaster), and Warren beats them, they could probably make it at 8-2 (may need a win against another team on our schdule with a record of 7-3 or better). Unlike last year, I don't think Belpre will go winless which will help a tad this year (Belpre in hocking division rather than ohio division, not as tough of schedule for them.... therefore helping us out in secondary points), and Marietta (assuming we beat them last game of the year), should be better than last year as well. As for the rest of the schedule, if we don't beat Logan, our chances may be shot but we absolutely HAVE to beat P South, Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Jackson, Gallipolis, and of course Athens (that will force us to have to go 9-1). Wish there were more division 1 and 2 schools around our distict.

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

Are u guys talking about playoffs just because you are 2 - 0 against teams like Belpre and Morgan. Its fun to talk about playoffs but I think it is a little premature. U can maybe start getting excited about that picture if you win the next THREE on the road @ Athens, Portsmouth and Jackson. That will be a tough feat in itself. I myself am hoping Warren can pull it off. Offensively, we look dangerous for any opponent, but it is just my opinion that the defense has to be addressed. The quickness of Erik Waderker from Belpre made us look silly and we haven't met a power running back yet. A goal of getting to the playoffs would be a great acheivement for the Boyz in BLUE, but lets take one game at a time. Let's beat Athens friday nite. GO BIG BLUE.........

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Warren will have to go 9-1 to get an 8 seed... 10-0 and they get a 6 seed.. Tough tough region.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Going to be another tough opponent for the Bulldogs. Should be a good game! Ill take Warren by 7.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

I agree sportsfanallnitelong Warren has shown some chinks in the armor mainly on rushing defense. The Warren secondary is playing solid again much like last year I'm thinking they have 3 picks already? The rushing defense has to be tightened up against teams like Jackson and Gallia where it's run first and pass later. Warren had a tough time containing the quick, athletic running back Belpre had...this has to be addressed.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

With the Weapon Athens has Offensively they can't be counted out...
With that said, most of us know that DEFENSE wins your ball games and Athens must improve in this area...

Should be a good, hard fought game in The Plains come Friday...
I'll wait to post my prediction...

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

I was wondering where all the Athen fans were, been pretty quiet? Can someone tell me what Athens likes to do offensively more running or passing?

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

From the looks of it both teams have had not so glorious first halves so far. Morgan ran at will in the second qtr and struggled in the second half. If The Warriors can get the ship righted in the first half it could be a loooooooong evening for the Buldogs. But if both teams play simular first halves. It could be a very boring first two quarters. Hope the coaches can motivate the "D". This week the talent is there, just seems like they have yet to click. Defense is alittle different this season. D-Ends are in a three point stance, not up and may be still getting adjusted. Anyway look for the "O" to take it to the house again this week.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Auburntgrfan wrote:From the looks of it both teams have had not so glorious first halves so far. Morgan ran at will in the second qtr and struggled in the second half. If The Warriors can get the ship righted in the first half it could be a loooooooong evening for the Buldogs. But if both teams play simular first halves. It could be a very boring first two quarters. Hope the coaches can motivate the "D". This week the talent is there, just seems like they have yet to click. Defense is alittle different this season. D-Ends are in a three point stance, not up and may be still getting adjusted. Anyway look for the "O" to take it to the house again this week.

Don't really like the 3-point stance--seem like you lose a second when coming out of it

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

My heart says Athens my head says Warren. I think this game should be close but I still haven't seen Athens but a whole game together and if they still can't on Friday Warren will likely win by a couple of scores.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Pretty cool playoffs and Warren even mentioned on same thought....lol...but way too early but fun....

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Folks, I hate to kill the buzz here, but Warren could have gone 9-1 last year and still finished 9th in the region, out of the playoffs. going 10-0 and finishing out of the playoffs is a distinct possibility...it's great that we're 2-0 but there is SO much work to be done, and ultimately your playoff hopes are really determined by how good the teams you beat turn out to be. We can't make it in on our own accord, we need to beat every team and then have all those teams we beat find their "it" factors and win lots of late games.

Warren's concentration should be, and I think the players and coaches are concentrating, on one game at a time...Bulldogs next. How about an SEOAL title...more reasonable long term goal at this point...that'd be a NICE step on the way to respectability. Go Blue!

WARRIOR BS
Waterboy

Post by WARRIOR BS »

I agree, it seems foolish to be talking about the playoffs. Let's win 1 game at a time and the rest will fall into place

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Hey I was asked to post this, it was passed along to Jim Rhodes by Hugh Coffman:
The Marietta Times, Friday Evening, September 9, 1960. By Bill Robinson, Sports Editor of The Times.
"Warren High's yet-to-be nicked-named football team begins its gridiron history tommorrow afternoon at two o'clock against Parkersburg's Little Reds at Big Red Stadium." Warren's first ever football game was played on SEPT 10, 1960.

This friday evening at Athens, SEPT 10, 2010 marks the anniversary of the FIRST game. Lets fill up the stadium at Athens to root on the Warriors.
The Score of that first game : PHS Little Reds 39-Warren *"Warrenmen" 0
*For lack of a better name this was what the newspaper called the team.

Jim would like to thank Mr. Coffman for getting this information to him. It will be added to the archives. And he hopes others will continue to contribute this kind of valuable information. Go Blue!!!!!!!
Last edited by Auburntgrfan on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whsbeernuts04
Freshman Team

Post by whsbeernuts04 »

....i disagree Warrior BS,
I am a huge fan of Warren athletics and I love to see them succeed. I am a true fan, so I treat them just like college and professional teams I like. When I talk to people about my teams, I tell them "hey i think they're gonna make the playoffs this year and win the World Series....." or Super Bowl....whatever. I don't see a problem in that. If their are kids from the team that read this stuff..... that's fine too. That's just like a professional athlete reading the news about themselves. I don't think its inappropriate at all. As a matter of fact, I say those things out of excitement. It's awesome that the team is being talked like this anyways, it builds excitement around the team I would think. I remember when I graduated, people came to see the band and when halftime was over they all left....... (Warriors finished 0-10 for 2 years straight). I would appreciate this talk more than beat down on it.

All in all...... it is one game at a time..... but shouldn't that be more for the players than us!?

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

Well said beernuts I agree totally. However, a SEOAL title in football is something this fan would like to see just as much as a playoff apperance. Warren in my mind has a legit shot at a SEOAL football title this year.

Return to “Football”