TVC-Ohio: Nelsonville (3-2) @ Wellson (2-3)

Orestes
S

Re: TVC-Ohio: Nelsonville (3-2) @ Wellson (2-3)

Post by Orestes »

NY 22-0 in 2nd quarter

NYFan54
Varsity

Post by NYFan54 »

Rockets score with 1:20 left before the half.

NY - 22
Wellston - 7

racenut70
JV Team

Post by racenut70 »

Thanks for the updates. Can't be there tonight.

NYFan54
Varsity

Post by NYFan54 »

Buckeyes win, 28-21. Wellston scored with 2 minutes left and recovered the onside kick. NY held on 4th and 10 to secure the W.

Roadrunner
Freshman Team

Post by Roadrunner »

Nice job N-Y. It sucks to see wellston lose this one, but the buckeyes were the better team. Rockets played a helluva game and never quit after being down early. This rocket team is one of the toughest bunch of kids I have seen in a long time. N-Y is still the team to beat in the tvc ohio and I wish them the best of luck all the way to the end of the season. I hope you boys make it into the playoffs and make a run.

I told you people on this thread that when you play wellston, you are going to be in for a helluva fight win or lose. Anybody want to challenge me on that now? :mrgreen:

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

Hats off to the buckeyes and their coaching staff you guys are the better team.good luck the rest off the way hope you make the playoffs dont see any tvc team beating you guys.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Congrats Bucks(N.C. needs the points)

3sportdad
Waterboy

Post by 3sportdad »

Where's Caulker10 NOW?

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

Goes to show a 40 yard dash and a vertical leap does not win football games.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Congrats to the Buckeyes. Statement game. And you made your statement. O&B - I'll be up soon to catch another game at Boston field, I see it coming!

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

Great Job coach Boston me and the boys hated to miss this one. We kept checking updates.

ucantcme
Freshman Team

Re: Week 6 Nelsonville @ Wellson

Post by ucantcme »

Caulker10 wrote:Osborne and company, light it up Friday. Go Rockets.
Rocketfan88 wrote:If wellston mixes it up a little bit on offense they will move the ball easily on ny. Look for J Kerr to have a big night I predict he will be in the backfield all night creating havoc!!!
dougout wrote:Wellston by 3 td's
Thanks so much guys. It was stuff like this that lit the fire for us at NY. Reading this stuff and knowing there was no respect for us really got us going. Thanks again!

ucantcme
Freshman Team

Re: Week 6 Nelsonville @ Wellson

Post by ucantcme »

Rocket50 wrote:Welcome to Wellston, home of the 2010 tvc champs! Yeah I'm saying, get ready Nelsonville this ain't your normal Wellston team!

I cant forget this one. It was hung up in our locker room all week! I think we may have been a little flat until we had this hung up on tuesday when we came in to practice. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way, You have a very nice football team. Go Buckeyes!

Swampy
Waterboy

Post by Swampy »

Congrats to NY on their victory. I hope the staff at Wellston sees that they need to take a look at their game plan. What worked earlier in the season isn't working now. Everyone's seen the Jackson film, mix up your play calling, fellas. It ain't called a team sport for nothing!

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

Swampy wrote:Congrats to NY on their victory. I hope the staff at Wellston sees that they need to take a look at their game plan. What worked earlier in the season isn't working now. Everyone's seen the Jackson film, mix up your play calling, fellas. It ain't called a team sport for nothing!
Haha... Goof!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Great win for the Buckeyes!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.athensmessenger.com/sports/l ... ccess=true
Buckeyes hold off late Wellston rally, 28-21

Posted: Saturday, October 2, 2010 3:19 am

By KEVIN WISEMAN Messenger sports editor | 0 comments

WELLSTON — Time after time, Nelsonville-York had Wellston down for the count. Time after time, Wellston stayed alive.

It wasn’t until Nelsonville-York’s Dustin Young made a game-clinching tackle that the Buckeyes finally had Wellston down for good.

The Buckeyes held off a furious Wellston fourth-quarter rally, finally escaping C.H. Jones Field with a 28-21 victory.

Nelsonville-York head coach Dave Boston Jr. could breath a sigh of relief afterward as the defending Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division champions won the league opener.

“I think we got a little complacent,” he said. “I think we thought five minutes left in the game we’re up three touchdowns — you’ve got to play good football for four quarters. You can’t play three and a half quarters. You can’t play three quarters. You’ve got to play four quarters.”

The Buckeyes (4-2, 1-0 TVC-Ohio) took a 28-7 lead when Nathan Dean rolled to his left and threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to a wide-open Daniel Kline with 5:44 to play in the third. The scoring pass immediately followed a blocked punt by Kline and Isaiah Mello, putting Nelsonville-York in complete control.

The three touchdown lead stood up until there was 8:48 to play. The Golden Rockets were able to score two touchdowns in the fourth quarter and recover an onside kick with 2:02 to play, down only seven points.

“Our kids showed great heart tonight,” Wellston coach Chris Hutchinson said. “We got down and they never gave up. They fought, fought for every inch. Just fell a little bit short but it wasn’t because of effort. They showed a lot of heart tonight.”

With 2:02 on the clock, Wellston’s Michael Grey dove on the onside kick attempt on the Buckeyes’ 49-yard line after it went off the hands of Nelsonville-York’s Justin Cunningham. Down just 28-21, the Golden Rockets had new life, and the Buckeyes were now the team that appeared to be on the ropes.

Four plays later, quarterback Jaylen Prater converted a fourth-and-two try, giving Wellston a fresh set of downs at Nelsonville-York’s 38-yard line with 58.9 seconds left.

Wellston (2-4, 0-1) wouldn’t get any closer to the end zone. Prater was forced into three straight incomplete passes, setting up fourth-and-10 with 46 seconds to play.

On the fourth down play, Prater was able to find Teddy Compston, but the Buckeyes’ Young came up and made the tackle. Compston wasn’t able to gain any yards on the play, turning the ball over to Nelsonville-York with 39.4 seconds to play.

“We knew at that point that they had to throw the football so we backed off a little bit,” Boston said. “We settled in there and defended the pass.”

Nelsonville-York used a balanced offense in building up the big 28-7 lead. Dean finished with 161 yards passing and two touchdown passes. Kline caught three passes for 87 yards while Jared Dexter caught a 33-yard touchdown.

“We knew we could change it up and throw the ball, keep them off balanced a little bit,” Boston said. “It’s league play now. We know what that means to our program. Our kids are going to fight hard in league play and that’s what we did tonight.”

It wasn’t just passing though for the Buckeyes, as their power running game was also on display. Young had 18 carries for 151 yards and a touchdown while Cunningham added 82 yards and a touchdown.

“We just had some mishaps as far as coverage-wise,” Hutchinson said. “They’re just a tough team. They run the ball very well and they continued that against us tonight. They’re solid up front. They kind of kicked our butts there for awhile. Our kids came around in the second half and started putting a stop to it.”

Down 28-7, Wellston started the comeback with a massive 20-play drive that took 8:54 off the clock. It ended with a one-yard sneak up the middle for Prater to cut the lead to 28-13.

The drive covered 74 yards as Wellston converted two fourth downs. The most dramatic was a 29-yard pass from Prater to Trenton Jayjohn on fourth-and-19, moving the ball to the Buckeye 12-yard line.

The Buckeyes’ Kline recovered the onside kick, but Wellston forced the Buckeyes to punt the ball for the only time on Friday. The Golden Rockets then scored again on a 75-yard, 13-play drive. Wellston converted three fourth downs on the march, the final being Prater’s five-yard pass to Austin Osborne on fourth-and-goal.

Prater ran in the two-point conversion and the Golden Rockets were down 28-21 with 2:02 to play, setting up the frantic final two minutes.

Wellston dominated the football in the second half. Nelsonville-York ran 13 plays in the second half, the final two being kneel downs in the closing seconds. The Golden Rockets were able to run 47 plays from scrimmage after half, nearly coming all the way back.

Prater had 30 carries for 87 yards in his return after missing the last two games due to injury. He also passed for 102 yards, all coming in the second half.

“(Prater) got outside the pocket, kept his eyes down field,” Hutchinson said. “Made some nice plays. Receivers did a good job. Trent Jayjohn (two receptions, 66 yards) had a couple nice catches. They played really well the second half all the way around. Got some stops on defense, gave us a chance to win.”

Osborne added 57 yards on the ground. The Buckeyes were able to limit Wellston’s explosiveness, as it averaged three yards a carry on the night. Prater’s longest run was 12 yards while Osborne’s was 14.

“We’ve faced some good backs,” Boston said. “We’ve been tested all year against good running backs. We knew we were prepared there. We felt that our kids could do a great job against them.”

The Buckeyes started fast, scoring first on a two-play drive to open the game. Dean hit Kline with a 48 yard pass, then Young scored on a 30-yard touchdown run.

Nelsonville-York led 14-0 after Dean hit Dexter for a 33-yard scoring pass. Dexter was able to sneak wide open down the middle of Wellston’s defense.

Wellston recovered a muffed punt at the Buckeyes’ 11-yard line with 8:25 to play in the second quarter. But Kline was able to recover a Wellston fumble on the very next play. That set up an 88-yard drive, capped off by Cunningham’s 14-yard touchdown run that made it 22-0.

Wellston got on the board 1:21 before halftime on Prater’s 1-yard scoring run, making it 22-7 at the break.

Wellston will host Alexander on Friday while the Buckeyes host Meigs.

Nelsonville-York has won the last two league titles and six of the last seven. Boston said any road win in league play is critical in defending their crown.

“Anytime you get an away win in our league, especially against a good football program, it’s a great win,” he said. “So yeah, we can check that off and move forward. Now we’ve got a big one next week against Meigs.”

buckman
Freshman Team

Post by buckman »

Nice win Bucks!

Hey Wellston, I was impressed with how gritty your boys are! They could've easily quit at 22-0 or 28-7, but they hung tough and made us sweat at the end. The 2nd onside kick was pretty cool. Line drive that didn't go 10 yards, but bounced off of a player, so it didn't matter. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but it worked great. Props to your boys for executing. Good luck the rest of the way.

I've never been to a game down there before. I appreciated the port-a-potties on the visiting side, and the concession stand as well. Many places you have to hike around to get some food(including Boston Field).

Although, I've never seen a field with less actual grass on it. What was the giant square dirt spot at the 50? It almost looks like a house used to sit there. :) Oh well, nothing that a little grass seed won't cure! :)

Stay healthy and Go Bucks!

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Im thinking that giant square is where the rocket is spose to be lol.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

All the rain last year during the season the middle of the field was tore up ,and re-sod this summer.

Return to “Football”