OVC Championship: Coal Grove @ Chesapeake

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

fuzzhead
SEOP

OVC Championship: Coal Grove @ Chesapeake

Post by fuzzhead »

The Battle For the Little Brown Jug has more at stake this year than it has for a long time. Outright OVC title on the line for both teams, a potential home playoff game on the line for CG, maybe a playoff berth period. CG has trounced every OVC opponent they've played so far. After a last-second win at Rock Hill, Peake has done about the same and has once again finished a down year respectably in OVC play. Thoughts?

ovc fan
Varsity

Re: OVC Title: Coal Grove (8-1; 4-0) @ Chesapeake (4-5; 4-0)

Post by ovc fan »

I'll be the first to throw my two cents in Fuzz. I dont consider Chesapeake to have had a down year. They got beat by a healthy Oak Hill, a healthy Wayne(Wv) who is ranked 6th in the state, a healthy Symmes Valley who may win a few games in the tourney, A healthy Lucasville Valley and a healthy Portsmouth West...all along while they were beat up a little. Those are all very good teams as i'm sure Coal Grove knows about Valley. This game in my opinion is a toss up. If Chesapeake can eliminate turnovers like they did tonight and the coaches open it up a little which they havent had to do the past few games they will hang in there. May even pull off an upset. Their defense is very good against the run. Not great against the pass. They will have to run the option a few more times and maybe throw it a little more. And defend the pass better. Thats why Rock Hill stayed in the game with them. So, I guess what i'm saying is I cant pick a winner. They are both a lot alike. I think turnovers will decide it...and maybe stupid penalties. My gut feeling says Peake by 8. Hope both sides play injury free.

footballfan
JV Team

Re: OVC Championship: Coal Grove @ Chesapeake

Post by footballfan »

I look for CG to win this game, but then again I thought RH laid down against CG so I don't really know....if Peake somehow wins this one I know a lot of guys at RH who are going to be wondering what if when they lost in the last few seconds....

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

CG's line has a little more push IMO, Grove by 7

earp
S

Post by earp »

Watch out for that Coal Grove passing game!Never thought I would say that LOL! :lol:

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

I think if the Peake runs how they have been running and they cut down Coal Groves Passing game then the run Defense will take care of the rest, if that happens then Chesapeake wins! If Coal Grove's passing game does what it did against fairland then that will open their run game to! So im not gonna actually pick a winner. But I am hoping for a great game!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

There are several factors that pop into my mind right off the bat:

1) Weather: Peake's field is almost bare and rain during the week could turn it into a quagmire.
2) The heart of the CG offense is the power running game. No one in the conference has been able to stop it. Can Chesapeake?
3) Chesapeake has had lapses in their play at several points in the season, most recently in the 2nd quarter of the Rock Hill game and right before half of the Fairland game. If they do that against CG, they will pay dearly.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

Three very good points. Chesapeakes field is horrendous. And its supposed to rain all week. So probably pans out good for Coal Grove. Chesapeake has been able to contain the run on defense. Held Fairland to 44 yards rushing and those came off scramble from the QB. Held South Point to no first downs period. Dont remember stats from the rest of the games but I know Rock Hill and River Valley didnt do well running the ball. Portsmouth West didnt do that great running except a few breakaways and near the end. Its the passing defense that hurts them but I think they have improved on that based on the last couple games. Third, and what i said before, the lapses you are talking about are turnovers. If Chesapeake can stop those then it will be a great game. Guess only time will tell. 6 more days to be exact. I think it will be a game worth watching though!

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

CG has to be considered the fave right now. Now, if peake "brings it", they could pull off an upset. However, if they play with as little effort as they did against Symmes Valley, it'll be CG by a truckload.

dirtmcgurt
Waterboy

Post by dirtmcgurt »

I know everything about football coal grove don't stand a chance!!!!! peake 48 coal grove 0

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

MY MONEY, IF I HAD ANY. LOL WOULD BE ON DEM HORNETS.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

These two have played every year since 1944. CG leads the all-time series, 56-20-3 (.709). First meeting was in 1929. Longest win streak for CG: 15 (1976-90). Longest win streak for Chesapeake: 9 (1998-2006).

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

CG big

Matt52
JV Team

Post by Matt52 »

dirtmcgurt wrote:I know everything about football coal grove don't stand a chance!!!!! peake 48 coal grove 0
you shouldnt be allowed around a computer
Last edited by Matt52 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

That would be "allowed". :mrgreen:

Coal Grove wins this one I believe.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Well, it rained pretty hard today with more on the way. Should be a cold, sloppy field friday...

SportFan08
Riding the Bench

Post by SportFan08 »

What a great way to watch an OVC Championship game!

footballfan
JV Team

Post by footballfan »

Wet, sloppy fields have a way of evening things out a bit...Ball SECURITY becomes huge...how will this affect the sweep game of CG...they run it well this year...Peake will stack it up....should be a dandy. If the rain continues...esp during the game....I look for a 12 point ballgame either way. On turf/ no rain...CG by 3 scores....

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

'Peake has indeed peaked at the right time. However, I believe Coal Grove has the edge. If the Panthers come out fired up, control their emotions and let the home crowd work in their favor, anything is possible. But if they play anything less than their best, the Hornets could win big.

Here's hoping the 'Peake has one more solid game in them.

Go Panthers!

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyes41 »

If the field ends up sloppy then I will give the Grove the game. They have a great down hill game, which a sloppy field wouldn't bother them. Chesapeake on the other hand, the offense they run and the way the backs have to cut up into the holes, sloppy field would hurt them. No matter, should be a good game. If I have to choose, I think Grove has to much for the Peake. They can run AND pass very well.

Return to “Football”