Leauges Your School Has Been In

oneoak
Varsity

Leauges Your School Has Been In

Post by oneoak »

What leauges have your school been in and who else was in it?

Here are some that I know of for Oak Hill.

The Big Six league formed in 1932 with Oak Hill, New Boston, Portsmouth Central Catholic, Sciotoville East, Wheelersburg and Waverly.

I have seen mention of Oak Hill being in the Southern Buckeye Conference sometime prior to joining the Ohio Valley Confernce in 1954. The article didn't mention who else was in that league.

Charter members of the OVC were Oak Hill, Wheelersburg, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Coal Grove and South Point. Wheelersburg left in 1956 and Fairland entered in 1957. Ironton St. Joe and Symmes Valley entered in 1962.

After leaving the OVC, Oak Hill was in the Southern Valley Athletic Conference with Racine Southern, Reedsville Eastern, Symmes Valley, Southwestern, Kyger Creek, North Gallia and Hannan Trace.

The Oaks left the SVAC to join the SOC in 1992.

An interesting item in Oak Hill's league history is that they were invited to attend the meeting that resulted in the founding of the SEOAL, but declined to join feeling that they were too small to compete.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Leauges Your School Has Been In

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Nelsonville Greyhounds - SEOAL - 1925 (charter member) - 1967
Nelsonville-York Buckeyes - SEOAL - 1967- 1970
Nelsonville-York Buckeyes - TVC - 1970 - Present (Unified TVC 1970-1993; TVC OHIO DIVISION 1993-Present)

Total Combined Years in the SEOAL - 45
Total Years in the TVC - 40 and counting

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Portsmouth what I have off the top of my head.

Ohio Kentucky Athletic Conference - Portsmouth, Ironton, Russell, Ashland, Boyd County, and Greenup County
Greater Ohio League – Portsmouth, Hamilton, Middletown, Springfield, and Lima
SEOAL- several different incarnations in the short 2 times PHS has been in the league.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Marietta

Central Ohio League - 193?-1986
SEOAL - 1986 to 2011
ECOL - 2011-????

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:Portsmouth what I have off the top of my head.

Ohio Kentucky Athletic Conference - Portsmouth, Ironton, Russell, Ashland, Boyd County, and Greenup County
Greater Ohio League – Portsmouth, Hamilton, Middletown, Springfield, and Lima
SEOAL- several different incarnations in the short 2 times PHS has been in the league.
WOW Timmy! How about that drive to Lima and back on a school night? :mrgreen:

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Prior to becoming a charter member of the TVC in 1969, Belpre was a member of the South Eastern Ohio Buckeye League (SEOBL).

Native Warrior
Freshman Team

Post by Native Warrior »

Warren used to belong to the Pioneer Valley League.... I believe?

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Heavy D wrote: How about that drive to Lima and back on a school night? :mrgreen:
Portsmouth to Lima Senior – 179 miles 3hours and 23 min.
Portsmouth to Middletown 131 miles 2hours and 37 min.
Portsmouth to Springfield 129 miles 2 hours and 27 min. At one time both North and South
Portsmouth to Hamilton 122 miles 2hours and 30 min . At one time both Taft and Garfield
Portsmouth to Fairfield 120 miles 2 hours and 24 min.
Remember these times and distances are in cars on today’s roads. It would be harder and longer in the 40s on a school bus when the Trojans enter the GOL.
11 state basketball titles were won by the GOL teams from 44-61.

In the late 70’s PHS was also in the TSAC the Tri-State Athletic Conference with Ironton, Kentucky teams were Greenup, Russell, Boyd County, and Ashland, West Virginia teams were Huntington High, Huntington East, and Barboursville.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Warren was a football-only member of the Pioneer Valley League from the school's founding in the fall of 1960 until Warren became a charter member of the TVC in 1970. The other sports competed as independents.

Warren was a charter member of the TVC, competing in all sports until the end of the 1986-1987 school year (give or take a year on that). Then Warren entered the SEOAL, where we remain for the time being.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

ironton has been in the col i think , and okac , and seoal.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Logan Elm
Scioto Valley Conference - 1960-mid-1970s don't know exact final year
Mid-State League - mid-1970s-????

Circleville
South Central Ohio League - 1925ish-1990
Mid-State League - 1990-????

Westfall
Scioto Valley Conference

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

MVL Timeline (very interesting!)

http://www.netpluscom.com/~rmast/articl ... line.shtml

Glouster was one of the founding members of what is today known as the MVL.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Piketon only started football in 1958. They were members of the SOC for 2 or 3 years, before joining as a charter member of the SVC with Logan Elm, Paint Valley and Laurellville. They are still in the SVC.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Wellston SEOAL(founding and charter member)1925-1982. TVC combined 1983-1992. TVC Ohio 1993-present.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County

MOVC
TVC-charter member

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:
Heavy D wrote: How about that drive to Lima and back on a school night? :mrgreen:
Portsmouth to Lima Senior – 179 miles 3hours and 23 min.
Portsmouth to Middletown 131 miles 2hours and 37 min.
Portsmouth to Springfield 129 miles 2 hours and 27 min. At one time both North and South
Portsmouth to Hamilton 122 miles 2hours and 30 min . At one time both Taft and Garfield
Portsmouth to Fairfield 120 miles 2 hours and 24 min.
Remember these times and distances are in cars on today’s roads. It would be harder and longer in the 40s on a school bus when the Trojans enter the GOL.
11 state basketball titles were won by the GOL teams from 44-61.

In the late 70’s PHS was also in the TSAC the Tri-State Athletic Conference with Ironton, Kentucky teams were Greenup, Russell, Boyd County, and Ashland, West Virginia teams were Huntington High, Huntington East, and Barboursville.
Once upon a time PHS, when they played at Lima would spend the night in Lima and would attend an OSU the next day,,not sure how many times that happened..btw, I can remember when PHS played at the GOL schools they would form a train ride to the towns they played, later moving to Greyhound buses as the trains did not run so much....We would fill up 5-6 buses, not counting team or band....and do not remember how many train cars were filled...wipala

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

This is a very good post,,,it is interesting to see where schools played and when...do not forget the old Scioto County League,,,South Webster, Rarden, Otway, McDermont and not sure about the other schools..I do remember when I went to Grant and after there would be the old county tourney at Grand and man what a blast that was,,,,place was full for every game!!

Return to “Football”