2011 Warren Warriors

WARRIOR BS
Waterboy

Re: 2011 Warren Warriors

Post by WARRIOR BS »

The youth program isn't all that's it's cracked up to be. If they would concentrate on building a program instead of winning they would have more kids involved. I pulled my kids out of it and they love football now. You can not play football for 13 years and love it. They start them way too young. The whole league needs to go to flag football until they reach Jr High. That way the kids are hungry to put on the pads and get down to business. The league has ran off more kids than what they have developed. Kids don't hit their growth spurt until Jr High anyway. Why run off a short heavy kid that may be 6'4" 240 lbs in high school. And no, I'm not complaining, my kids got more than enough playing time. Just what I've seen since we started in the league. There are alot of kids walking the hallways that could help the team that got screwed in the youth league because we lost our focus. Should be teaching the game and having fun. That's what 6-12 year olds want to do.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

VERY well said. I agree. I didn't start ANY sport until 7th grade. If I'm not mistaken, Logan does flag football until 7th grade. It's a lot harder to "unteach" bad technique, than it is to teach the correct technique in the first place.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan must have dropped pre-7th grade tackle????????????

WARRIOR BS
Waterboy

Post by WARRIOR BS »

Thanks Miner, that is exactly what I'm talking about. The kids do not get taught the correct way to tackle, block or anything else. It is a bunch of parents coaching their kids and leaving the rest to fend for themselves. When they do get to high school, most of them are already set in their ways and will not do things the right way. We need all the kids we can get and ecspecially the big ones. You have to have blocking before anything else can happen. Just like building a house, the foundation has to be there before you can build on it.

Blue Blaze
Waterboy

Post by Blue Blaze »

I was told that Coach Schob and the high school program was running a spring flag football league in April & May for kids through 6th grade. The high school players seem excited to help the young players. I think there are many people that want to make sure the kids have a good start and have fun doing it. I think this is a good idea!

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

noreply66 wrote:Logan must have dropped pre-7th grade tackle????????????
I said "if I'm not mistaken". I must have been mistaken. Geesh.

Bobcat Coach
Waterboy

Post by Bobcat Coach »

WARRIOR BS wrote:The youth program isn't all that's it's cracked up to be. If they would concentrate on building a program instead of winning they would have more kids involved. I pulled my kids out of it and they love football now. You can not play football for 13 years and love it. They start them way too young. The whole league needs to go to flag football until they reach Jr High. That way the kids are hungry to put on the pads and get down to business. The league has ran off more kids than what they have developed. Kids don't hit their growth spurt until Jr High anyway. Why run off a short heavy kid that may be 6'4" 240 lbs in high school. And no, I'm not complaining, my kids got more than enough playing time. Just what I've seen since we started in the league. There are alot of kids walking the hallways that could help the team that got screwed in the youth league because we lost our focus. Should be teaching the game and having fun. That's what 6-12 year olds want to do.
Is it the league (Mid Ohio Football) or is it Warren that is running off the kids? I have been associated with the league for the last 10 years and haven't seen any drop off in numbers except for the organizations that are having problems. These 6-12 year olds are the foundation (building blocks) of your high school team. I do agree that they need to be taught the correct fundamentals, not just there first year but every year. Once that foundation is built, then the rest can be built. That takes some people who are dedicated and fair to the kids. I personally don't think tackle football is the problem.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

I would like to see a 7th grade team AND an 8th grade team. Two different teams with two different schedules. Most schools in the SEOAL and the TVC have both a 7th and 8th grade team.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

coal miner's son wrote:I would like to see a 7th grade team AND an 8th grade team. Two different teams with two different schedules. Most schools in the SEOAL and the TVC have both a 7th and 8th grade team.
Belpre doesn't, they have a combined squad junior high team.

I agree, flag football up to 7th grade. Starting tackle football in 7th grade gives you plenty of time to teach the fundamentals needed to have a successful, winning football tradition at the varsity level.

JMO.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

coal miner's son wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Logan must have dropped pre-7th grade tackle????????????
I said "if I'm not mistaken". I must have been mistaken. Geesh.
LOL- as far as I knew they might have

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

So Warren has, at least for the time being, adopted pay-to-play, $50 this spring and going up to $100 per kid per sport next fall.
What effect does that have on the athletic program, which with Marietta leaving, could be argued to be the best overall in the SEOAL?

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Heard at Barlow that the football lost 4 paid assistants. Any truth to this?
What other staffs are affected?

redandgreen10
Riding the Bench

Post by redandgreen10 »

there were many cuts with supplemental positions. 3 total asst. football, 3 boys basketball, 3 girls basketball, asst. wrestling, asst. baseball, asst, softball, asst. volleyball. also, alot of academic supplemental positions, as well as 12 teachers. :twisted:

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Some of the teachers affected have RIFF rights (Bumping) based on seniority, and if they are qualified for that subject, so some of them will just move to another part of the building and the younger (less seniority) will get the RIFF. What about the 8th grade football they had three paid did they not? Hope thing work out for the best for the KIDS sake. Some have lost sight of the real reason we improve our schools.

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

Auburntgrfan wrote:Some of the teachers affected have RIFF rights (Bumping) based on seniority, and if they are qualified for that subject, so some of them will just move to another part of the building and the younger (less seniority) will get the RIFF. What about the 8th grade football they had three paid did they not? Hope thing work out for the best for the KIDS sake. Some have lost sight of the real reason we improve our schools.
As far as the 7/8 th grade team, well it's yet to be known but might only be one coach. I suppose that they could have volunteer help but that would have to go through the school board.

JoeRoberts
Waterboy

Post by JoeRoberts »

It will all be fine. There are some sports at the school that don't have any assistants to begin with, so I am sure everyone will learn to make do with what they have and be just fine.

JoeRoberts
Waterboy

Post by JoeRoberts »

Has the football team been shut out of the weight room when the all the locks on the doors were changed?

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Flag football to begin soon. Interested parties can look for info in the Times.

WARRIOR BS
Waterboy

Post by WARRIOR BS »

My take on this year--

Offense--Need to work on the O-Line so we can run the ball more. If you can run the ball, the passing game will be outstanding. Would love to see 1500 yds rushing and 1500 yds passing.

Defense--I think the defense will take care of itself. The athletes are there. Move a few new ones in, and I think we will be ok. Their main problem last year was stopping the run and giving up the big play. There are a bunch of returning starters coming back. These experienced players are ready to step up and take care of business.

The only complaint I have is how we as parents and fans keep taking shots at the coaches and administration. This happens in every sport at Warren. It is not needed and doesn't help a thing. My mother always told me if I didn't have anything good to say keep my mouth shut. For every bad thing we say about someone, we should have to say 3 good things about them also. We really need to come together as a community and enjoy the ride. It will be over sooner than later. There is a great set of kids in this high school, all they need is a little encouragement. Let's try that instead of basing them!!!!
On another note, talking about coaches: My kids have been involved with Baseball, Basketball and Football. All 3 head coaches are fantastic people. They really do care about the kids and in the big picture that's what matters to me. Making my sons better people. I have to give props to Coach Maddox. Last night was the winter sports banquet. I was extremely impressed with him. It was the best banquet I have been too. I learned a lot about Coach Maddox last night. Underneath that quiet, serious looking face, he is a very emotional and caring individual. Everyone on here should have to go to these banquets to really see what kind of coaches we have. It all doesn't come down to wins and loses. That meant a lot to me Coach Maddox and I'm glad to have my kids play for you. Thank you

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Heard locally that there has been a shake up in the staff, with some new additions. Any word on who is in and who is out. Have some personal thoughts on this, but will err on keeping those to myself. Not taking any shots here just curious.

Return to “Football”