2011 Marietta Tigers

Titletown TVC
JV Team

Re: 2011 Marietta Tigers

Post by Titletown TVC »

Jerry Springer coaches football? Will he still be doing his show in the afternoon? I really like that.

javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

I have lived in several seo towns thru the years, and I have supported the local teams in each. Marietta, as a community, needs to support these kids. I have seen many visiting teams at games, who's fans out number the home team 2 to 1.. Look at your successful programs. Large fan base. Support them win or lose.... Show up for the games..... Look at Ironton, Gallia, Logan, Jackson.. Do as they do.... The players see this and respond.

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

Post by Tim Hardaway Jr. »

Disappointed that everyone on here is cutting on Springer, he has really done some wonders for this program already or so I've heard. Built a new weight room by getting sponsors together, got the numbers back up, and is looking to build a winning program back for the Tigers. I understand that he has had some problems in the past, but this is the present. He's looking to win, the kids I'm sure are looking to win, and hopefully the Tiger supporters are looking for the boys of fall to win as well. So, what's the problem? I've heard some bad news though about some of the players not playing, rumor has it Keifer Johnson their center is not playing, as we all know nor is Parmiter or McKitrick which could hurt them in the long run. I also heard they have some new faces out this year as well that have played in the past that are pretty decent? Didn't get any names..so if anyone has any names of who they are? That'd be helpful. Good luck to the Marietta Tigers for this years campaign!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Like to see the Tigers kick some butt in the new league

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

From MariettaFootball.com
Springer's Camp Recap...

The Tiger Football team concluded its Summer Camp on Friday, July 15th. Conditioning, weight lifting and installation of the offense and defense were focal points of the camp. As a result of this emphasis, the team goes into Fall camp on August 1st with a solid conditioning base and a good knowledge of offensive and defensive strategies. Perhaps the strongest factor that developed during camp was the senior leadership of Mitchell Gearhart, Dedder Baker and Justin Futrell. This year's team will be comprised largely of underclassmen, but will be led by three solid senior athletes. Juniors Tanner Leach and Eddy Kimbrough have also provided considerable leadership to team members.

Assistant Head Coach Adam Eichhorn is leading the defensive effort in 2011 and is able to point to a number of strong contenders for several positions. For example, the defensive line depth chart shows 9 to 10 athletes who will play a considerable amount of time. This includes Matt Morris, Jon Hedrick, Jared Tanner, Austin Edgell, and Jimmy Dye. Offensive line competition is intense as many of these same athletes plus Alex Hogan, Nick Spur, Trey Littleton, Tyler Ritchey and Trevor Strahler will see action.

During Summer camp it is always interesting to see which players show noticeable improvement. Eddy Kimbrough has shown great quickness and strong leadership during the camp. Hedrick, a 230 pound defensive end/offensive guard has become a real workhorse on both sides of the ball, while newcomer Nick Spur has caught on with strong blocking and catching talents offensively.

Dedder Baker, Mitchell Gearhart, Quinton Coffield, Tanner Leach and Justin Futrell will provide a lot of offensive punch in 2011, behind the blocking of Kimbrough and Gaskins who have the size and quickness to deliver for their solid running back group. A strong ingredient in the 2011 mix will be the pass catching ability of Chance Wright. Defensively, linebackers Spencer Frum, Kyle Bronski and Michael Stewart offer a lot of punch. While Frum also plays fullback on the offensive side, Bronski and Stewart are more defensive minded and can see starter's responsibilities coming their way.

All in all, a good camp. The Tigers are coming off an improved year in 2010 under the strong leadership of Craig Farnsworth. This year his staff will be moving forward with his services but his contribution will not be forgotten. As we enter the 2011 season, our only goal is " to improve weekly". We will be low key in our comments about the season other than to say that opponents will know they played a physical Marietta team who does play the game with intensity.

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

The day Marietta hired the XC coach to be the AD, is the day the football program died.

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

Much luck to all those FRESHMAN! who are now seniors! Win or lose, the lessons learned on the football field will propel you through tougher obstacles. Work as a team. Work as a unit. The common goals amongst you are preparation and execution. When I started for two years, I realized I even had fun when we lost. Take that attitude, realize you have nothing to lose, and give everything you have. You will not for one moment, ever in your life, regret that.

#1MHSfan
Waterboy

Post by #1MHSfan »

westbrook18 wrote:The day Marietta hired the XC coach to be the AD, is the day the football program died.
You got that right!!!

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

Post by black_and_orange »

Springer has told people he wants to toughen the Marietta kids up, then they go install air conditioning in the weight room.

With a high school that is falling apart, classrooms that reach close to 100 degrees in the early and late part of the school year, why do we waste public resources and donations on a weight room? Maybe we should have air conditioned the school and library so kids can concentrate and then there would not be the problem at MHS with ineligibility.

BTW - Marietta High School 2009-2010 State Report Card
Rating Effective (middle of the road - average)
Adequate Yearly Progress - NOT MET!!!!
In year 2 of School Improvement

Marietta City Schools as a whole
Rating - Effective
Value Added Measure - Below State Requirements

Is an air conditioned weight room something we should really be focusing community resources on?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Football players probably need the AC the most.They are working the hardest in the heat you don't want anothr Korey Stringer.You should be happy you have a weight room.

jbunker
Waterboy

Post by jbunker »

black_and_orange wrote:Springer has told people he wants to toughen the Marietta kids up, then they go install air conditioning in the weight room.

With a high school that is falling apart, classrooms that reach close to 100 degrees in the early and late part of the school year, why do we waste public resources and donations on a weight room? Maybe we should have air conditioned the school and library so kids can concentrate and then there would not be the problem at MHS with ineligibility.

BTW - Marietta High School 2009-2010 State Report Card
Rating Effective (middle of the road - average)
In year 2 of School Improvement

Marietta City Schools as a whole

Mr. Black-and-orange,what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. You sound like a scorned ex lover or teacher. :oops:

Rating - Effective
Value Added Measure - Below State Requirements

Is an air conditioned weight room something we should really be focusing community resources on?

tigerstrike2011
Waterboy

Post by tigerstrike2011 »

Sorry dude, the weightroom isn't air conditioned, but it has received some new fans. After years of the boosters "talking" about updating the weightroom(which hasn't been done since the early 1990's) the Touchdown Club raised the money through private donations in about six months. You must be from Marietta. If the kids get anything new there always people stepping up and saying why don't we do this, why don't they do that. The very minumum of a levy just passed. The voters rejected others that would have could have provided for AC in the school. Very few people in here want to do things the right way- just getting by is enough for most people. That's a terrible standard to set the students and athletes. The Touchdown Club is trying to raise the standard here and encourage the athletes to expect better.

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

Hey Archie or I mean jbunker, you call me insanely idiotic and you are not even smart enough to use the quote feature correctly. You message go outside the brackets genius!!! Maybe that is too much of a rational thought for you

Now insults aside, let me explain my thought process, and I will try to bring it down to your level since you were not able to comprehend my previous post.

Marietta High School is on school improvement by the Ohio Department of Education because of several years of not testing at a level reaching AYP. They are in financial distress, and had to pass a levy just to stay afloat. Now I am Bobby boy got most of the AC donated. Is he getting the increase in electric bills because of the AC donated as well? I am looking at this as from the ultimate purpose of the City Schools.

OBTW I am a former teacher, taught in Marietta City Schools for 34 before retiring. I was also a coach of several different sports at MHS including football. I did some check on MCS website. Let's look at their mission statement...
By pursuing world-class standards through high quality programs, the mission of Marietta City Schools is to inspire all students to achieve academic and personal excellence and become self-directed, life-long learners.
Inspire all students to achieve academic and personal excellence. ACADEMIC!!! Academics come first. Let's look at that. Outdated text books, outdated technology, physical systems of the buildings not working properly, windows in the high school that do not open. 90 outside in August can hit 100 in the classrooms. From the mission statementhttp://www.mariettacityschools.k12.oh.u ... iF3AB5.pdf.

VII
b. Promotes a social environment that is emotionally and physically safe, respectful, personable, orderly, inviting, child-centered, and user-friendly
h. Provides a physical environment that is attractive and clean
l. Includes new facilities, up-to-date equipment and resources

90-100 degree classroom where children have gotten physical sick is, as b. states physically safe and inviting. Nor is it attractive, or up-to date.

Marietta High School has roughly 1,000 students. Since they have cut weight training as a course offering, how many students use that weight room. Maybe 50 for football, maybe 20 girls and 20 boys from basketball, and 20 girls for volleyball. That is roughly 10% of the population of the school. I think the community would rather the majority of the school benefit from any fund raising, donation that goes on.

It is going to be hard to go back to the public in November and ask for the levy to be renewed claiming you need the money when money is being spent on luxuries such as air conditioning a weight room that a very small portion of the school uses.

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

...It is going to be hard to go back to the public in November and ask for the levy to be renewed claiming you need the money when money is being spent on luxuries such as air conditioning a weight room that a very small portion of the school uses.

I am not a HVAC guy, but I have installed several in homes before. I would assume that it would have cost several thousand dollars to put this in. All I am saying is that Marietta City Schools has many needs that could have used this money before we looked at using for unecessary luxuries. I have been in that weight room many times during the summer months, and with some fans running it is very comfortable for working out and training for football. Trust me, I have been there before, first hand knowledge.

If the school would raise some money to air condition the building, where students would be more comfortable, be able to focus better on their education, maybe they wouldn't have so many football players turning in 50 assignments the last day of school to save themselves from inelligibility, or washing a teachers car to save themselves from ineligibility. It is a small town my friend, people talk, I am just thankful Mr. Lee found out about it and did not let it happen.

Don't lose sight that the purpose of Marietta City Schools is to educate youth, prepare them be better citizens, husbands, wives, employees, and people. Until that is happening, let them sweat in the weight room a little, not in the classrooms.
Last edited by black_and_orange on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

tigerstrike2011 wrote:Sorry dude, the weightroom isn't air conditioned, but it has received some new fans. After years of the boosters "talking" about updating the weightroom(which hasn't been done since the early 1990's) the Touchdown Club raised the money through private donations in about six months. You must be from Marietta. If the kids get anything new there always people stepping up and saying why don't we do this, why don't they do that. The very minumum of a levy just passed. The voters rejected others that would have could have provided for AC in the school. Very few people in here want to do things the right way- just getting by is enough for most people. That's a terrible standard to set the students and athletes. The Touchdown Club is trying to raise the standard here and encourage the athletes to expect better.
I know you haven't been up there for a few months since you relocated jobs, but check out the air conditioning unit outside the parking lot/weight room wall that Morrison's Heating and Cooling put in after school was let out.

Get your facts straight before you pipe off next time. Call your buddy Bob if you don't believe me.

watchdog
Waterboy

Post by watchdog »

tigerstrike2011 wrote:Sorry dude, the weightroom isn't air conditioned, but it has received some new fans. After years of the boosters "talking" about updating the weightroom(which hasn't been done since the early 1990's) the Touchdown Club raised the money through private donations in about six months. You must be from Marietta. If the kids get anything new there always people stepping up and saying why don't we do this, why don't they do that. The very minumum of a levy just passed. The voters rejected others that would have could have provided for AC in the school. Very few people in here want to do things the right way- just getting by is enough for most people. That's a terrible standard to set the students and athletes. The Touchdown Club is trying to raise the standard here and encourage the athletes to expect better.
Tigerstrike, the next time you visit the area please peek your head into the weight room... You will see that they have added AC to the weight room since you have left. I have no issues with raising the standards at Marietta, but I have to agree with Black and Orange... we should start in the classrooms first!!!!! Since you chose no longer to coach at Marietta your opinion no longer matters!

MttaFan
Freshman Team

Post by MttaFan »

I am impressed that there is a Marietta football thread that has 4 pages!

Fact of the matter is that for a lot of years now Marietta football has not drawn interest from the students or the community. I have been amazed the last two years that when the band finished playing at halftime how few fans were left at Don Drumm. By the way, the new press box and locker rooms are first class!

In a lot of ways soccer is now the fall sport of choice for the student body to play and watch. It's simple, there are alot, and I mean alot, more youth in Marietta playing soccer than football.

The hard truth is that Marietta football is going to have to have a winning season or two before the community buys tickets to games other than the opener or homecoming. Bringing football back is going to take years, not a season, and I hope we didn't bite off too much with the ECOL.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

with the size of Marietta it shouldn't be a problem fielding a good football and soccer program

Snowman79
Riding the Bench

Post by Snowman79 »

How about that 10 k Marietta recieved from Verizon for winning a texting contest in which ALL THE STUDENTS took part in for the school to win.... Well guess what THE ATHLETIC TEAMS, MOSTLY FOOTBALL TEAM recieved the money. Not the BAND/ SHOW CHOIR etc, or the students who just attend school and take no part in any extras functions at the school, well they never saw a dime of that money yet they made an effort for a chance to benefit their school.
The money the school gets, is used in the wrong fashion all the time but nobody seems to be held accountable.
And btw, if this addition is from donations etc, maybe that money should had been spent in covering traveling costs or wages etc. Instead of using tax dollars on it.

distance40
Freshman Team

Post by distance40 »

Air conditioning for 10% of our student body...wow that makes a great deal of sense. As a student and athlete at Marietta, I've seen my fair share of un-honest actions and ways of handling different things concerning our athletes but this is the most frustrating of them all.

When I hear that my families tax dollars that were supposedly to be spent on keeping our schools afloat and possibly bettering my education are actually going to be spent on the costs of running an air conditioner for 10% of our students, that's a huge slap in the face. I understand it was paid for with donations but the money that it will cost to run that unit, should had been spent on more fans throughout the school or possibly installing a unit in the lunch room, auditorium etc. so that all students could benefit, or heck, as crazy as this may sound, new books!! The 1997 versions are getting a little outdated.

There's a huge double standard at our school between faculty and our "star" athletes, whether its extra help, getting out of a detention etc. things go on all the time and is almost encouraged and common practice. I just wish for once that the people that are supposedly trying to prepare me for the challenges of life, would spend their time and our schools assets and actually try to improve the students education and the environment in which we receive it.
Snowman, your exactly right, that was a huge slap in the face to everybody even a lot of athletes didnt like that.

and btw Orange and Black, thank you for actually bring light to the truth concerning our school and the stuff that goes on there. The truth is hard to come by at Marietta and as a student today I can say that your exactly right about the stuff going on. I'm not one to complain but when I see things like this going on daily, you begin to become quite frusterated.

Return to “Football”