10th Annual Debate on Power Cleans

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

10th Annual Debate on Power Cleans

Post by jiveturkey »

I hear they don't do them at VC. Coach thinks it's bad for wrists. Just wondered what others thought and if there is a link between not doing cleans and winning.

Winchell
JV Team

Re: 10th Annual Debate on Power Cleans

Post by Winchell »

Although I prefer hang cleans, power cleans, if done properly, are a great lift as well. I've never known them to be hard on wrists. The lift I am not fond of is the dead lift. When athletes get their shoulders back behind the hip level, they can be horrible on the back. I feel that the benefits of squats, regular, box and front, are ten fold the lifts that dead lift is. An argument can be made that, no matter the lift, if technique is poor, injury can occur. For this reason, proper supervision is a must in the weight room.

redandgreen10
Riding the Bench

Post by redandgreen10 »

i've been coaching for 31 years and have heard and seen almost everything in practices and the weight room. if successful upper level football programs are using specific lifts you've got to believe they are beneficial. all olympic type lifts, especially the ground based lifts, will positively enhance explosive power and strength. the problem with these types of lifts is usually not their validity in football, it's usually taking the time to properly teach them. i also believe that the coaches in the weight room must insist and highly encourage correction when the lifts are not done right. scott cochran the strength coach for alabama says that if the lifts aren't hard and making you work, then you ain't doing them right! imo

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Deadlifts, Power cleans, Split Jerk, Snatch, Front/overhead squat are all over looked in many weight programs. They are conductive to football because they require core strength and athleticism. All are very good, but must be taught correctly or they can lead to serious injury (just like any other lift).

Return to “Football”