Vinton Co. Coaching Search - 2015

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Re: Vinton Co. Coaching Search - 2015

Post by seoconstruction »

Whoever it is , the county needs a boost !

mr.hyde
Riding the Bench

Post by mr.hyde »

My first response was "Why in the Hell would he want to leave D-1 football at GT to be the coach at Vinton County?"

Then I looked up his salary as DoFO at GT.

I stand corrected.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

If it's true he doesn't need the money from GT, he is doing all right without it. He may just want to coach high school football.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Snider is on the search committee so I doubt he is a candidate or else that would be a little fishy. But it is VC and the buddy system is why we are in our current position.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

Vinton County could be a good job for the right guy and if he gets the support. I know Coach O'rourke personally. He did a great job with the Vikings. I am really glad this thread hasn't gotten nasty. Sometimes that happens when a coach leaves or is asked to leave. Most coaches work so hard and are not appreciated very much. Sometimes even when they win someone will quip "well anyone could win with that talent". Anyone that knows ANYTHING about athletics knows that just isn't the truth. Some coaches lose with talent, but all coaches need talent to win. I think the big question with Vinton County, as with most schools today, do they have any teaching positions? That can sometimes force them to hire a certain coach. Good luck to the Vikings.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Da Bears wrote:Vinton County could be a good job for the right guy and if he gets the support. I know Coach O'rourke personally. He did a great job with the Vikings. I am really glad this thread hasn't gotten nasty. Sometimes that happens when a coach leaves or is asked to leave. Most coaches work so hard and are not appreciated very much. Sometimes even when they win someone will quip "well anyone could win with that talent". Anyone that knows ANYTHING about athletics knows that just isn't the truth. Some coaches lose with talent, but all coaches need talent to win. I think the big question with Vinton County, as with most schools today, do they have any teaching positions? That can sometimes force them to hire a certain coach. Good luck to the Vikings.

Yes there are a couple of positions open at the moment. According to the ad on ohsaa website, all applications were to be submitted by today February 23rd which tells me that this committee wants to give the board a name by the March meeting. They've got 1 month not to screw this up.
Last edited by Dundas on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Jason Snider has not been on the Georgia Tech Football staff for a couple of years. He quit in the summer of 2013.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Blackjack wrote:Jason Snider has not been on the Georgia Tech Football staff for a couple of years. He quit in the summer of 2013.

Why did he quit??

jimbobhampton
Waterboy

Post by jimbobhampton »

Any news on this? Have they started interviews?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

jimbobhampton wrote:Any news on this? Have they started interviews?
The first interview I know of will be this Saturday with more scheduled this month.

jimbobhampton
Waterboy

Post by jimbobhampton »

Dundas wrote:
The first interview I know of will be this Saturday with more scheduled this month.
Have you heard who they will be interviewing?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

jimbobhampton wrote:
Dundas wrote:
Have you heard who they will be interviewing?
The people I've spoken to on the inside haven't given me any names.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

Dundas, you commented earlier that Vinton County does have teaching jobs open. I pose this question to you . . . do you think they will hire for the teaching job or try and hire the best coach that applies? I am just looking for your opinion. You seem to have a pretty good feel for what the situation is.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Da Bears wrote:Dundas, you commented earlier that Vinton County does have teaching jobs open. I pose this question to you . . . do you think they will hire for the teaching job or try and hire the best coach that applies? I am just looking for your opinion. You seem to have a pretty good feel for what the situation is.
That's a good question. I would hope they would base their hire on a mix of the best available coach and teacher for a specific position. The more teaching jobs open, the better coach they can get IMO. I may be wrong but I think they will look at who fits the best at both needs. With 30 applications, I would hope they can find a handful of guys that fit the bill.

so.stormmom
Freshman Team

Post by so.stormmom »

mr.hyde wrote:"Dundas wrote:
Coach Mendes is running the weightroom even though his future on the staff is a question mark. Imo, the fact he is this dedicated to the program, he should be retained by the new head coach."

That situation never ends well for the dedicated guy.

Coach Mendes is and always has been about the boys and the team,it would been a shame to lose him

kingpin
Riding the Bench

Post by kingpin »

New coach yet?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

kingpin wrote:New coach yet?
Held interviews the last week or so. Should have an idea of who the finalists are next week. Committee is taking their time to make sure they get the best fit for the program and school. I'd rather VC take it slow and get it right.

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Applicants? I've heard some names but not sure if their legit

mr.hyde
Riding the Bench

Post by mr.hyde »

Lets hope that they hire a good teacher, ya know, just because, it is a school, and all that, you see.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

Come on Dundas and give us something here. I'll bet you know something buddy.

Return to “Football”