Freshman Team

Re: Vinton Co. Coaching Search - 2015

Post by Blue Duck »

I believe Bethel also coached at the college level for 4 or 5 years

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I have only a partial list of those who have interviewed...the committee is keeping a tight lip as to potential hires...or allowing their recommendation be known.

Marcus Games...prior Ohio University player, wrestling coach, long time assistant, and integral part of the community.

Jack O'Rourke...ex-football coach with a gazillion years of experience.

Travis Bethel...VC graduate, Union College football player, who holds a master degree.

Nolan Yates...VC graduate, Glenville State player, ex-football coach, long time assistant with various programs, tons of experience, obtaining his master degree.

Chris Hutchinson...I think interviewed, I am not sure, but if he did...ex-Wellston coach, former college player
If this is true I'm pulling for "Dutch." We need more guys with catchy names coaching. That's why I was pulling for "Justy" to replace "Dutch" at Wellston. It's also good to have a coach that "kids will run through brick walls for." :mrgreen:

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Travis Bethel
Jack O'Rourke
Nolan Yates
Shane Wellman
Marcus Games
And 4 others that I do not know have interviewed. It's my understanding that the committee is still in the process of elimination and any rumors are just that. April 9th is supposed to be the date of the next board meeting.

Bringdanoise
Riding the Bench

Post by Bringdanoise »

?
Last edited by Bringdanoise on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Bringdanoise wrote:Let me tell you all the "rumor"... Typical Vinton County politics at work. The committee HAS made a decision based on the interviews. The committee HAS submitted that name to the superintendent and it is he and the school board that has turned down that submission. With 6 people on the committee and the vote being 5-1 in favor of a candidate, you would think that the decision would be done... but not in Vinton County! The powers that be have decided that NONE of the candidates are suitable and are going to offer the job to someone who didn't even apply and has not coached in about 8 years. Looks like the school board doesn't really care about the program and the kids who work so hard to be a part of it.
who is this mystery candidate?

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Bringdanoise wrote:Let me tell you all the "rumor"... Typical Vinton County politics at work. The committee HAS made a decision based on the interviews. The committee HAS submitted that name to the superintendent and it is he and the school board that has turned down that submission. With 6 people on the committee and the vote being 5-1 in favor of a candidate, you would think that the decision would be done... but not in Vinton County! The powers that be have decided that NONE of the candidates are suitable and are going to offer the job to someone who didn't even apply and has not coached in about 8 years. Looks like the school board doesn't really care about the program and the kids who work so hard to be a part of it.
who is this mystery candidate?

lil vike supporter
Waterboy

Post by lil vike supporter »

Good luck Vikings!
Last edited by lil vike supporter on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Could they be looking towards Jackson County? Former head coach?

Bringdanoise
Riding the Bench

Post by Bringdanoise »

?
Last edited by Bringdanoise on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lil vike supporter
Waterboy

Post by lil vike supporter »

Jeff Downs will make a good coach.
Last edited by lil vike supporter on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

I believe you guys are way off here. I have some friends in the vc administration. I believe you will see the track coach, John Lindner, as your guy's next football coach. He last coached under yates

Bringdanoise
Riding the Bench

Post by Bringdanoise »

?
Last edited by Bringdanoise on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Please tell me you guys are kidding. Wow

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

If this track guy is hired, I'm sure we will be having this same discussion in a few years. I've seen those type of hires various times over the years, and eventually they end badly.

O'Rourke is an excellent coach, and I'm sure he would make the program competitive if nothing else. The bethel guy seemed like someone who had the credentials and loves the program.

If you didn't get to listen to the radio show that dundas did, it was very informative. Things like that make football in this area so special. Support these programs, and don't take them for granted.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

sider wrote:If this track guy is hired, I'm sure we will be having this same discussion in a few years. I've seen those type of hires various times over the years, and eventually they end badly.

O'Rourke is an excellent coach, and I'm sure he would make the program competitive if nothing else. The bethel guy seemed like someone who had the credentials and loves the program.

If you didn't get to listen to the radio show that dundas did, it was very informative. Things like that make football in this area so special. Support these programs, and don't take them for granted.

I think you were the only one who listened sider. Lol

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

So, if I am to understand this correctly . . . Vinton County had a pretty solid group of coaches apply for the job. However, the people in control decided to give and/or offer the job to the track coach? What kind of experience does this coach have? Also, he hasn't coached for quite a few years? This is certainly interesting. So what do the Viking faithful think about this . . .

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Da Bears wrote:So, if I am to understand this correctly . . . Vinton County had a pretty solid group of coaches apply for the job. However, the people in control decided to give and/or offer the job to the track coach? What kind of experience does this coach have? Also, he hasn't coached for quite a few years? This is certainly interesting. So what do the Viking faithful think about this . . .
If that particular rumor is correct...I believe the track coach started his assistant coaching career in 1998 under Matt Queen and I think his last year as an assistant was in 2010. I'm not 100% sure on that but it's close. The next board meeting is Wednesday April 15th at noon. If we don't have a coach by then, May will be the next scheduled opportunity. Regardless of who they hire, I think we can all agree that this process has been a train wreck.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Dundas wrote:
Da Bears wrote:So, if I am to understand this correctly . . . Vinton County had a pretty solid group of coaches apply for the job. However, the people in control decided to give and/or offer the job to the track coach? What kind of experience does this coach have? Also, he hasn't coached for quite a few years? This is certainly interesting. So what do the Viking faithful think about this . . .
If that particular rumor is correct...I believe the track coach started his assistant coaching career in 1998 under Matt Queen and I think his last year as an assistant was in 2010. I'm not 100% sure on that but it's close. The next board meeting is Wednesday April 15th at noon. If we don't have a coach by then, May will be the next scheduled opportunity. Regardless of who they hire, I think we can all agree that this process has been a train wreck.
Yes I agree, and this is why VC has struggled for many years. Actually, I think train wreck is an understatement.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

I can't help but think you are a little frustrated there Dundas. If I am not mistaken, the school board can/could call a special meeting anytime to vote on contracts. At least I would hope they could. You don't want to wait until May to get your coach named. At least it sounds like this guy has some experience coaching. My hs alma mater (in Illinois) hired a guy last year that had one year of football coaching experience. They won 1 game in 2014. Well, I hope you guys get things going Dundas. I know it can be frustrating sometimes.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

In order to stick with the catchy name theme that many districts are going with when hiring a coach these days, I think VC should dub the new coach, no matter who it is, Train Wreck. I mean, who could ask for a more catchy name? AND it fits the process and program at VC. :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”