SEOPS Hippo

Re: Wellston head football coach job posted on OHSAA website

Post by Ironman92 »

Lucas?

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

Numbers ! It's all about the numbers. We all want our kids to be athletes, but it all comes down to how many great or good athletes you have in a system to be on top. Not letting athletes slip away to other schools is another killer.

I can remember back in the 80's Wellston City Schools had not had a levy passed for about 20 years. There was rumors of Wellston looking at Vinton Co., Oak Hill, and Jackson to maybe consolidate with as Wellston bordered these school districts. Let's say Wellston + Oak Hill ! A Jackson County School District ! Maybe that would have been a good thing if it had happened ! The numbers would be there. Wellston/Oak Hill would be able to compete with a Jackson or a Athens.

Wellston left the SEOAL in 1982 to join the TVC to be able to be in a league that they could highly compete in. But in football they were just never able to have much success even after the move. They followed old SEOAl member the Nelsonville Greyhounds 1970, Nelsonville York Buckeyes now into the TVC. And was followed by the Meigs Marauders who was formally the Pomeroy Purple Panthers and the Middleport Yellow Jackets of their old SEOAL days. Both Meigs and Nelsonville did score some success in the TVC.

I can remember when Wellston was very good at basketball and track and baseball. and softball. I can remember the great band they had in the 60's & 70's with their Lights Out Show. one of the best in Ohio. Wellston had a lot to be proud of, but like some districts, the numbers just don't show up sometimes.

Good Luck to future of the Golden Rockets !

Has the BOE non-renewed the coaches position yet, I take it they have if they have posted a opening with the OHSAA ?

TigerBacker#1
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerBacker#1 »

Older coach Jody Michael. Coach you forgot and he should be forgotten Willis Stemen. Co coaches Mullin And Baker

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

toldya wrote:Older coach Jody Michael. Coach you forgot and he should be forgotten Willis Stemen. Co coaches Mullin And Baker
Jody Michael ! Thats the coach that had Unv. of West Virgina ties.

Yes I do remember Tom Baker & Mark Mullin as co coaches.

Willis Stemen does not ring a bell. Still looking for the coach's name that Fiffe took over for during the last few games of the season.

THKS.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Between the Lines wrote:
toldya wrote:Older coach Jody Michael. Coach you forgot and he should be forgotten Willis Stemen. Co coaches Mullin And Baker

Willis Stemen does not ring a bell. Still looking for the coach's name that Fiffe took over for during the last few games of the season.

THKS.
It was Bob Strait. And, btw it's spelled Fyffe no Fiffe

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

HSFBFAN wrote:
Between the Lines wrote:

THKS.
It was Bob Strait. And, btw it's spelled Fyffe no Fiffe
Thks. Fyffe, I'm not sure how he spelled it and just took a guess.
Another coach I forgot was Joe Malmisur, a good friend of Jim Tressel .

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Some of the Coaches names mentioned are pretty much why Wellston loses so much... :lol: ..Just to be perfectly frank with you.

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Post by jiveturkey »

Wellston has fallen into the same trap many schools have. They pin the success/failure of the program squarely on the shoulders of the coach. Then, they feel the need to change coaches every few years. Consequently, kids have to learn more than one scheme in their career instead of getting continuity in a system. Plus, when adults mistreat the program, kids do not take it seriously. There will be some folks on here who will have their toes stepped on by these comments but sometimes the truth hurts. Whoever they hire......they need to give him complete autonomy for at least 10 years.

I dont particularly care for the Pittsburgh Steelers but I remember hearing Dan Rooney talk about changing coaches. He said that firing a coach more or less makes an NFL team like an expansion team. When you change often you go through these growing pains over and over. I suspect that this holds true at every level of the game. Some of those coaches who "failed" at Wellston had success in other places. I wonder why? Maybe they werent incompetent in the first place. Wellston isnt the only place that has this issue. This seems to be more and more common as parents and community members think they know more about the game.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

Give the new coach enough time to get the program started in the right direction, it starts at the lower levels though so even your youth coaches have to get onboard as well. And have continuity all the way to the top.

the_big_coach
Freshman Team

Post by the_big_coach »

To( between the lines) Meigs was made up Pomeroy Panthers, Middleport Yellow Jackets, and The Rutland Red Devils, Rutland was not in the old seoal with pomeroy and middleport, But was a power house back in the day.

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

the_big_coach wrote:To( between the lines) Meigs was made up Pomeroy Panthers, Middleport Yellow Jackets, and The Rutland Red Devils, Rutland was not in the old seoal with pomeroy and middleport, But was a power house back in the day.
Hey Coach, you are very much right Rutland did go into to the Meigs consolidation. Rutland had some very good teams, I remember them mostly for basketball. They were very hard to beat year in and year out.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

back on topic please. thx.

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

What is Greg Phillips record at the school he is at now ? Anyone know ?

Didn't Wellston's AD play under Phillips when Phillips was a AC under William Fyffe ?

Has the BOE set a date to hire a coach ?

Has any other names popped up ?

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

I heard Arno has applied. He taught and coached at Wellston before under Heath Hinton

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

louie_15 wrote:I heard Arno has applied. He taught and coached at Wellston before under Heath Hinton
Arno ? Name doesn't ring a bell ! Is he still at Wellston teaching ?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Between the Lines wrote:
louie_15 wrote:I heard Arno has applied. He taught and coached at Wellston before under Heath Hinton
He the one who got football going at Manchester?

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Ironman92 wrote:
Between the Lines wrote:
He the one who got football going at Manchester?
no that was Jason Mantel. Sean Arno coached at Alexander for 9 seasons

The General
All State

Post by The General »

He was the Coach at Alex before this Great one they have now.

gobigblue12
Freshman Team

Post by gobigblue12 »

be a good opportunity for gallias former OC to get a crack at a head job and see how great he is

goatwalker
Waterboy

Post by goatwalker »

What about Mike Chancey ? I'm surprised he hasn't surfaced somewhere after stepping down at Meigs. I believe he posted a winning record there after something like 18-19 seasons. I know our crew was always pleased when they would show up on our schedule as they seemed to always be one of the most respected and disciplined teams that we would see. His players would get after it really hard on every snap and then have the class to help up the opponent and say "nice hit man, let's do it again". Just a thought....a hire like that would bring instant credibility to any program in my opinion.

Return to “Football”