Notre Dame
Green
Eastern Beaver

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: With days of SEOAL numbered, Jackson looking for new lea

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Westfan wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:The problem that Jackson is facing with the SOC is that this decision isn't up to Valley, Wheelersburg, West, Minford, and Waverly. All SOC schools have an equal say in who gets in. So, Clay's vote means just as much as Valley's. So if Jackson wants in, and the small schools think that there be may "Division reshuffling", they won't get the votes.

As far as the SOC being scared of Portsmouth....That is just flat laughable. Portsmouth has a strong basketball program and that is it. For the longest time Portsmouth thought they were above the SOC and now that they are not superior, they want in. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the Trojans enjoy their trips to Proctorville and Kitts Hill. The SOC is doing just fine without Portsmouth.
Good post.
Agree totally on Portsmouth.

Agree on the reshuffling also. Oak Hill will probably be bumped up to the SOC II. If Waverly doesn't leave, that will bump all schools back to 5 conference games, which is a good number. That gives each school flexibility with the 5 non-conference games to bump up or down their schedule strength based on the state of their program.

As far as Jackson. My opinion they won't be admitted and they shouldn't be as they are twice the size of the most of the SOC II schools. That is a huge difference. Just ask Wellston. There is a whole thread about the status of Wellston football and the most common answer is drop Jackson. If schools want to play them in the non-conference that's one thing, but they shouldn't have to. It's no diffence than the joke of Northwest playing in the SOC I.
I would never want the ky. thing to happen I remember an 0-10 greenup county ky. school in the playoffs 1 year. and raceland played a 1-9 team their first week in the playoffs that solves nothing. but that's just my humble opinion. if we went to that i'd just a soon see the season end at week 10, for weeks 1 through 10 meant nothing.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Okay you Portsmouth haters, my comment about the soc being afraid of the Trojans was made with tongue in check. Except for basketball PHS would have a hard time winning in soc1. As for you crab, really PHS, IMO, has not had the attitude you mention for a long time. All those folks are long gone, the school wants in a league that they can compete in and also save on costs, just like all southern ohio schools. The youth from most of the so called county schools and the big (lol) city of Portsmouth know each other and play club sports together and enjoy beating each other. Having said this, maybe it is time to go to the tooner for some Jew-aide with the prince! Lol

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

I would rather Jackson end up in the TVC in all non-football sports, and remain independent in the ol' pigskin. They are much more equitable in other sports than football, and it wouldn't be too extremely difficult to be independent in football although they'll likely have a few longer road trips. It keeps the non-football travel to a minimum. The SOC isn't a terrible second option, but again I'd rather see Jackson go independent in football than join the SOC or TVC. Jackson is already scheduling teams like Wheelersburg & Ironton, so the other teams they would add would not help much if at all. And TVC would not add anything other than Athens to the schedule.

They would have a better chance to craft a competitive and beneficial schedule being independent than joining one of the two local league options.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

ACCBiggz wrote:I would rather Jackson end up in the TVC in all non-football sports, and remain independent in the ol' pigskin. They are much more equitable in other sports than football, and it wouldn't be too extremely difficult to be independent in football although they'll likely have a few longer road trips. It keeps the non-football travel to a minimum. The SOC isn't a terrible second option, but again I'd rather see Jackson go independent in football than join the SOC or TVC. Jackson is already scheduling teams like Wheelersburg & Ironton, so the other teams they would add would not help much if at all. And TVC would not add anything other than Athens to the schedule.

They would have a better chance to craft a competitive and beneficial schedule being independent than joining one of the two local league options.
You are spot on! It makes no sense for Jackson to be in either league in football.

tiger101
Waterboy

Post by tiger101 »

SouthernStorm wrote:
ACCBiggz wrote:I would rather Jackson end up in the TVC in all non-football sports, and remain independent in the ol' pigskin. They are much more equitable in other sports than football, and it wouldn't be too extremely difficult to be independent in football although they'll likely have a few longer road trips. It keeps the non-football travel to a minimum. The SOC isn't a terrible second option, but again I'd rather see Jackson go independent in football than join the SOC or TVC. Jackson is already scheduling teams like Wheelersburg & Ironton, so the other teams they would add would not help much if at all. And TVC would not add anything other than Athens to the schedule.

You are spot on! It makes no sense for Jackson to be in either league in football.
I'm a Jackson fan and an SEOAL fan but let's face facts, 2nd place Logan wouldn't beat Burg, Valley, or West. Yes, Jackson beat Burg this year. But it's a whole different story when you have to beat all 3. There have been great teams that don't go undefeated in SOC 2. Downgrading the SOC in football is rediculous.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

The SOC is a great league with some excellent programs. However, if Jackson is to continue improving their program they must schedule bigger schools that will effectively prepare them for the post season.

niholly
Freshman Team

Post by niholly »

Anyone give any thought to the Mid-State league with
Teays Valley-D2
Hamilton Township-D2
Amanda-Clearcreek-D4
Liberty Union-D5
Logan Elm-D3
Circleville-D4
Bloom-Carroll-D4
Fairfield Union-D4

5 of these teams made the playoffs this year and Circleville finished 6-4. I would think for the most part driving wouldn't be to bad and easy highway travel for the most part to each of these places. Also when you get to evaluating Jackson's size these schools matchup in terms of size and overall league competition from top to bottom. 2 teams went 5-2 and another 4 went 4-3 in the division. I guess biggest question that the league would have to address would be adding another team to make them 9 which might not. However from a geographical standpoint and a competitive standpoint wouldn't seem to bad honestly. SOC simply isn't going to allow Jackson in I'll guarantee that I know one coach at a particular school wants nothing to do with them right now. SVC makes ZERO sense and shouldn't even be discussed. TVC minus Athens is geographically sounds good but honestly just isn't something I hope Jackson pursues. OVC I believe from a travel standpoint would be about the same as mid-state but traveling down 93 that often and just traveling up 35 and 23 is a lot different. My Vote, like it actually matters, would be mid-state

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Driving down 93 that much would be aweful

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

goUK wrote:Driving down 93 that much would be aweful

Its bad enough on a nice day. Imagine a snowy Tuesday night in February.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Dundas wrote:

That is my biggest concern with Jackson as well, imagine during basketball season having to deal with snow, deer, and actually anything else you can imagine on 93.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

2trap_4ever wrote:
Dundas wrote:

That is my biggest concern with Jackson as well, imagine during basketball season having to deal with snow, deer, and actually anything else you can imagine on 93.

Sasquatch! :122248

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

You never know on 93. :122245

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:I for one would love to see Jackson join the SOC. It will make our conference that much tougher. However, You have to convince Valley, and West of that. You have Waverly, Burg and Minford I would think. Minford has to get a stronger schedule and this will guarantee one more quality opponent year in and year out.
If Minford votes Jackson into the SOCII, I'll buy you a pizza! I agree it makes no sense for Minford not to allow Jackson into the SOCII, but they've had their chances and have never been willing to step up to the challenge.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

Minford has the talent coming up to compete against the Jackson's of the region....I'd love to see them play Portsmouth, Ironton and Jackson in non conference games...

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

The MSL Buckeye would be a good fit for Jackson were it not for distance. The MSL-B has been VERY stable (only change since 1991 was Canal Winchester to the OCC, Liberty Union coming over from the MSL-Cardinal to replace them). The stability has been such because all schools have been competitive in a variety of sports over the years, and they are close together. The longest trip (probably Hamilton Twp to Fairfield Union) can't be much more than an hour (maybe less). The members have been very opposed to altering the lineup, and have resisted efforts to realign the MSL if it involved changing the Buckeye over the years. The only way I see a change is if a member leaves (maybe TV or HT to the OCC in the future). If that did happen, they would be much more likely to: a. Add Logan, a much easier trip for most members, b. try to persuade an SVC school (Westfall or Zane Trace, who already play about 1/2 the league in many sports) to join, or perhaps get an MSL-Ohio school to come over. The trip to Jackson wouldn't be horrible for the Pickaway county schools, A-C, or even Hamilton Twp., but would be a long roadie for the other Fairfield Co. Schools. Jackson might be game for the trips, but I doubt the MSL schools would. My 2 cents.

niholly
Freshman Team

Post by niholly »

Vladimir wrote:
Jolly P(irate) wrote:I for one would love to see Jackson join the SOC. It will make our conference that much tougher. However, You have to convince Valley, and West of that. You have Waverly, Burg and Minford I would think. Minford has to get a stronger schedule and this will guarantee one more quality opponent year in and year out.
If Minford votes Jackson into the SOCII, I'll buy you a pizza! I agree it makes no sense for Minford not to allow Jackson into the SOCII, but they've had their chances and have never been willing to step up to the challenge.
I'll tell you guys right now Minford isn't the only school that won't vote Jackson into the SOC.

My stats earlier post support Jackson in the mid-state league being the most logical both from a school size standpoint and a travel standpoint. Biggest problem would be adding Jackson would mean 9 teams and could be an issue.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

willthegame wrote:
SouthernStorm wrote:

I'm a Jackson fan and an SEOAL fan but let's face facts, 2nd place Logan wouldn't beat Burg, Valley, or West. Yes, Jackson beat Burg this year. But it's a whole different story when you have to beat all 3. There have been great teams that don't go undefeated in SOC 2. Downgrading the SOC in football is rediculous.
I wasn't downgrading SOC Football so much as I'm saying Jackson already schedules the top tier from that area. Valley could be a decent edition, but they are not really going to gain that much more from playing them. If Jackson could replace Waverly with Valley that would be good.

Minford and Oak Hill are even less than Valley. Jackson would be back in a position to have to go undefeated to make their DIII playoffs, or at the very least be in a struggle to nab a lower ranked home game. It's just not beneficial to do that when they could remain independent, schedule more quality teams and put themselves in much better position.

niholly
Freshman Team

Post by niholly »

"""I wasn't downgrading SOC Football so much as I'm saying Jackson already schedules the top tier from that area. Valley could be a decent edition, but they are not really going to gain that much more from playing them. If Jackson could replace Waverly with Valley that would be good.

Minford and Oak Hill are even less than Valley. Jackson would be back in a position to have to go undefeated to make their DIII playoffs, or at the very least be in a struggle to nab a lower ranked home game. It's just not beneficial to do that when they could remain independent, schedule more quality teams and put themselves in much better position.""""

I don't really agree with your logic here on not gaining anything because of already playing top tier in the area. They would gain more I believe by being in the SOC then what you are giving credit. They played Waverly but they're off the schedule for next year. Waverly is on the upswing of things and has a good youth group coming up. Seeing them give you a possibly 4-8 wins depending on the year. Valley and Burg have proven they're going to be their every single year, nothing should prove that more then Valley graduating 17 seniors off the ball club and are now in the state semi's. So Valley and Burg anything from 6-9 wins isn't out of the question. West I also believe is righting the ship and should see them get you 5-8 wins depending on the year. Minford will be your most up and down team from year to year as far as wins and quality opponent goes. So yes, I do believe the SOC could give you plenty of points not to mention you have 5 open spots to fill. Now if you are talking from a quality stand point in order to try and compete in the DIII playoffs honestly there's very few teams in the area that could prepare you for the teams that will make it in that region. All this talk about SOC doesn't matter anyways won't happen, or if it did I'd be amazed.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

I can tell you that the TVC is out. I have a good friend that is a TVC Ohio AD. He said Jackson tried to get in the league a few years ago (pre TVC/SEOAL merger crazy talk) and they didn't get any consideration. He has told me the AD's, the principals, and most importantly, the superintendents like the league just the way it is. Jackson better hope for the SOC (will bet it doesn't happen). Independent will be very costly and a scheduling nightmare.

Return to “Football”