Wheelersburg vs Bishop Hartley week #13 Region 17 Final

BurgGrad6
SE

Re: Wheelersburg vs Bishop Hartley week #13 Region 17 Final

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Awesome season pirates! Thank you seniors! Congrats to the hawks!

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

Great game between two great teams. Wheelersburg had a great offensive game plan, as did Hartley. Both teams looked like they hadn't practiced defense all week.

It looked like every time Hartley was starting to come into their own on defense, Wheelersburg came up with an answer.

Not looking good for Hartley with losing Zang, most likely for the rest of the season. Washington, one of Hartley's best linemen went down with an injury on 4th down stop in OT. He was down for a while after the game and wasn't walking on his own. Hopefully I'm wrong, and those guys will be able to play next week.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

Great game Burg.. Best game you played this year and the best game a I watch this year. Was really hoping you guys could win this one. It's been a good weekend for me with Southeast getting two teams in and almost three, plus my MAC conf got three in now too. Can't wait until next week. Best of luck to all thoses seniors on the Burg team.

Bulldog
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog »

scarlettandgreyhillboy
Freshman Team

Post by scarlettandgreyhillboy »

whale good seaon for the burg boys them patch eyed fellars looke a lot better than what ole elmer thought they was tonight and backs up my declaraing burg is the best program n the tristates now and is watt other school shold shoot to be likes anyones who says othrewise is just jealous and sour grapes cause when it come to football int heis here part wheelersburgs rules!

agin hold your helmets high boys - great season

pss theys real good onside kicks too

callie11
Freshman Team

Post by callie11 »

I have been going to Burg games since Ed Millers first game, I can't remember a game better than this one tonight. The Burg hung with one of the best teams in the state. I must also salute the Burg community for really turning out for this [ and almost all games] they filled Chillicothe home stands and some were standing. I talked to a Hartley fan and he said hee had never such a following for a Div 5 team. It was a great night even if the Burg came up short.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

wow, just spent and crushed. burg was so close. amazing effort by wheelerburg. they played probably the best 4 quarters they have played all year. no turnovers and had our chances at the end of regulation and had our opportunitys in overtime. i was thinking that if burg could have punched it in in the overtime it might have been at good opportunity to go for 2 to try to win it. hartley is just so tough offensively. i dont remember ever seeing an offense that packs it in there so close and runs it like they do. absolutely no space or splits between their offensive linemen. congrats to them for winning one of the best games i have seen in some time , i hope they win it all. to all the wheelersburg kids great job and no reason to hang your heads, and great job to the wheelersburg community, they were flat making some noise all game long.
Last edited by victor creed on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

From an old Trojan,, Burg GREAT season. Now reload for next year

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Man, what a game. Burg went toe to toe with them for 12 rounds and then they even had to add an extra round. It was exactly like two heavyweight fighters going at each other in an epic battle.

I have been following Burg football for 40 years and this would have to go down as the 2nd best game I've ever watched the Burg play (1st being the State championship game in 1989). I was never more proud of a Burg football team then I was of the one tonight after a lot of people gave you no chance at all. You showed them what smash mouth Southern Ohio football is all about and I guarantee Hartley knows they were in a game tonight. You left it all on the field and for that I tip my hat to you.

To the outgoing Seniors, thank you for giving me the pleasure of watching you all for the last 4 years. Good luck to all of you in whatever the future holds.

Just have one question. On the pass interference call late in the game that the flag was picked up, how was the ball tipped at the line and Austin May still throw it 40 yards? Who tipped it? That could have been a huge play as it would have put Burg about 25 yards away from a potential game winning FG.

AHM
Freshman Team

Post by AHM »

Great game. Wheelersburg played a great game and the fans got their moneys worth. Both teams seemed to have a great crowd. I did not notice many open seats on either side.

#12 tipped the pass in the 4th quarter.

It was a clean officiated game IMO. If I was a Hartley fan, Id say that May never got in on 4th and goal in the 3rd Qtr. But it was obviously close.

Congratulations to both teams.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

AHM wrote:Great game. Wheelersburg played a great game and the fans got their moneys worth. Both teams seemed to have a great crowd. I did not notice many open seats on either side.

#12 tipped the pass in the 4th quarter.

It was a clean officiated game IMO. If I was a Hartley fan, Id say that May never got in on 4th and goal in the 3rd Qtr. But it was obviously close.

Congratulations to both teams.

Are you saying it was tipped at the line?

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

Would love to see film on the tipped ball...From listening on the radio there was certainly a lot of confusion on the play.

Burg played a heck of a game and showed why they are one of the premier programs in the area.

niholly
Freshman Team

Post by niholly »

WOW, WOW, WOW. what a game, burg played the most perfect game the could've and had to play to beat Hartley. I only questioned the final drive especially with the fact they did have it at mid-field with a minute to go and was just running the ball hoping to hit the run like they did at the end of the first half. Thought they had plenty of time to get down and hit a field goal.

The tipped pass there's no reason for any confusion on the radio it wasn't a confusing play. The officials threw the flags then got together before making the call, saying it was a tipped pass. Now from where I was I have no idea how the QB was still able to get the ball 40 yrds down field and a perfect spiral if it was tipped. Where all the officials are placed if one guy believes to see the tip then its going to override the pass interference call each time, but was really the only major questionable call. All in all very well officiated game as a whole. Like someone mentioned the 4th and goal burg had with QB run could've gone either way Hartley really stuffed that up on 4th and less than a foot or 2.

First time I've been on Chillicothe for a playoff game parking was good directed well plenty of seating as well for a D5 especially. I was sitting on the burg side and there was plenty of seating there was 2-3 rows right around me that had a lot of open seats so if anyone was standing it was because they wanted to. Biggest issue and I'm sure everyone can agree the clock messing up not being able to see the minute part in the 2nd half really SUCKED, especially in such a close game.

Congrats to burg on a great season and just a perfectly played game, they did what they needed to against Hartley and literally fell 1-2 foot short on that 4th and 3 play in OT.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Very tough one to lose. Clearly the Pirates left it on the field. The seniors have a lot to be proud of as they look back and the underclassmen have a lot to look forward to. My best to them all. You played knock down drag out football for 48 plus minutes and nobody could have asked for a better effort.

bilco 2
Freshman Team

Post by bilco 2 »

I was standing right across from the play and the ball was not tipped, the ref might have thought he did but he didn't . They did have good refs, you can't get them all right .

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WHEELERSBURG PIRATES FOR AN AMAZING YEAR OF OHIO HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. GREAT JOB.

piratepride86
JV Team

Post by piratepride86 »

Thank You For Another Great Season It Is Always A Joy To Watch.

Ps Nice game Hartley

Bulldog
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog »

Clip 181 was the tipped pass. The referee was standing at the 21 yard line and the ball was released at the 31. He had a prefect view of the play. #11 came on a blitz and must have grazed the ball as it came out of the QB's hand. The ball was well over thrown. The official who threw the flag should watch the play too. There was no confusion with the referee. He was signaling tipped pass as he ran up the field to consult with the official who threw the flag.

Clip 137 was the 4th and goal from the 1. Frame by frame shows movement after the official runs in from the left side. I assume he got the call right.

Clip 78 was the holding call on #14 that wiped out a Hartley touchdown. That was a very questionable call that had an impact on the game.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

It looks that officiating was pretty fair to both sides. Don't take away from a great game. All those kids played a hell of a game. Good luck next week Hawk's. Bring the crown back to Region 17.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Birdofprey wrote:Clip 181 was the tipped pass. The referee was standing at the 21 yard line and the ball was released at the 31. He had a prefect view of the play. #11 came on a blitz and must have grazed the ball as it came out of the QB's hand. The ball was well over thrown. The official who threw the flag should watch the play too. There was no confusion with the referee. He was signaling tipped pass as he ran up the field to consult with the official who threw the flag.

Clip 137 was the 4th and goal from the 1. Frame by frame shows movement after the official runs in from the left side. I assume he got the call right.

Clip 78 was the holding call on #14 that wiped out a Hartley touchdown. That was a very questionable call that had an impact on the game.
Do you have these pictures? I still don't see how the ball was tipped and still went 40 yards with a perfect spiral. May side stepped the defender and was in front of him when he threw the ball. That was a big set back at that time. If Burg get the 15 yard penalty they only need about 25 or 30 more yards with Lewis to have a shot at a FG.

Stiil, one of the best football games I have ever watched. The Pirates had a game plan and worked it to near perfection. The only hiccup for the Burg was the botched kick off. Allowing Hartley to recover that and go in for the go ahead score really hurt. If Burg recovers that they may have scored again to put the Hawks behind again with little time left. I couldn't be more prouder of this group of boys though. The defense played spectacular against the high powered offense of the Hawks getting a few stops that they failed to get last year. I would say that is probably the first game Hartley has been behind at the half since the season opening losses. My only question is why the Burg went to the spread in the OT when that power football had ran it down Hartleys throat all night long.

Great season Pirates. Thank you for another awesome year of Pirate football.

Return to “Football”