#4 Athens (11-0) vs #1 Tri Valley (11-0) - week 12

Pol pot
SE

Re: #4 Athens (11-0) vs #1 Tri Valley (11-0) - week 12

Post by Pol pot »

buckfever wrote:I just don't understand why southeastern Ohio people are so negative against southeastern Ohio teams. I want to see them all succeed, it doesn't matter if there regular season schedule was tough or weak they made it to the next game. Let's pull together and support the remaining TVC schools to prove there is talent down here instead of wishing failure on these young men that have worked their tails off to get to where they are. This Athens team has been ridiculed since they started winning. Why? It's not the young mens fault they are in the league they are in, give them credit where credit is due. With this being said "Bulldogs it is up to you now, show them what you are made of, offense keep rolling and defense keep proving....PROVE IT ON THE FIELD ON FRIDAY And I am sure the TOMCATS WILL FOLLOW ON SATURDAY!!"

It is truly amazing, but you are spot on, that people in this entire region perpetuate the stereotype that breeds failure. Very sad! Best of luck to all the Regions teams this week, and in the coming weeks.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

teach1coach2 wrote:
Runner wrote:The game will be aired live on Time Warner Cable Sports Channel
Normally channel 411. Great to see that Athens fan can stay home and watch the game ;)

The boxes in Zanesville are saying Digital 311 and HD 1311................Channel 411 is a paid LocalOD. Not sure what they are in other reas
Last edited by Runner on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I'm happy all of these people are so confident in the Athens team but some of the predictions are bold to say the least. Tri-Valley was the better of the two teams a year ago as I believe Springfield Shawnee was the better of the two teams the year before but both teams made the mistake of allowing the Bulldogs to hang around within striking distance and both paid the price. If you remember TV led by 14 very late into the 2nd qtr until Burrow found Luehrman basically as time expired to end the half and then TV made the mistake of kicking off to Trae Williams to open the 2nd half and all of the sudden the game was tied one play into the half, after that it was anyone's game to win and the Bulldogs found a way. Athens is a better team than last year but so is Tri-Valley, this game could easily go either way and honestly the team that makes the fewest mistakes (least penalties, turn overs, etc.) will most likely win and that is all there really is to it.

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Post by SOHSP »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:I'm happy all of these people are so confident in the Athens team but some of the predictions are bold to say the least. Tri-Valley was the better of the two teams a year ago as I believe Springfield Shawnee was the better of the two teams the year before but both teams made the mistake of allowing the Bulldogs to hang around within striking distance and both paid the price. If you remember TV led by 14 very late into the 2nd qtr until Burrow found Luehrman basically as time expired to end the half and then TV made the mistake of kicking off to Trae Williams to open the 2nd half and all of the sudden the game was tied one play into the half, after that it was anyone's game to win and the Bulldogs found a way. Athens is a better team than last year but so is Tri-Valley, this game could easily go either way and honestly the team that makes the fewest mistakes (least penalties, turn overs, etc.) will most likely win and that is all there really is to it.
I agree completely....anyone who was at the game last year knows what a complete, big, and strong team TV is. It took a special teams TD, a defensive TD, overtime, and a little luck for the Bulldogs to win. It could have easily been TV moving on.

This game makes me very nervous from an Athens standpoint. Both teams have everyone back, both teams have added a few players, and both teams have gotten a year bigger and stronger. For me it comes down to the Athens defense vs the TV offensive. I am afraid that the defense of Athens wont be able to stop the offensive TV has and this will cause extra pressure on Athens to score. Can the defense of the Bulldogs get a couple of stops throughout the game? I think that is what it will take. If we can get a couple of stops, Athens has a great chance to win. If Athens doesn't get a few stops (I don't think Athens can score every time against their 4 point per game defense) TV will likely be moving on this week.

I hope the Bulldog defense that showed up Friday against Granville is the defense that shows up against TV (tough, aggressive, hard-hitting, and good tackling). I can't wait to find out. Either way, it will be a great game - fun to watch - and the best team will be moving on. I hope we get another classic, with the Bulldogs winning in double OT this year!

Bulldog70
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog70 »

coldawg wrote:Tri-Valley only lost one real impact player from last year, and added about 10 more. I believe that they are the more improved team in this match-up. If they play like they did the first 10 games of the year, they will win by 2 TDs. If they play like they did against New Philly, Athens will win by more than 20. Gonna be interesting, to say the least.
That versus the same 11 on offense coming back together again, I would take the worn and weathered players that have been grinding it out together for 2-3. This is a time-tested group of kids in Athens. The offense is, hard to believe myself even, better then they were last year. And the defense always has enough in the tank to make big stops when the team needs it. The defense gets a lot of flack, but time after time does what needs to be done. All that said, Tri-Valley has been the team I have been most worried about playing. Last years slug fest about made me have a heart attack .LOL

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Bulldogs roll in this one. 49-14

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Funny prediction. I see Tri-Valley scoring between 35-56 points. Question is, what will Athens score??

By the way, this was in the Zanesville Newspaper today. I assume this is being publicized in Athens county:
"If coming from the Athens area, should use Ohio 22 to Pine St. to Pershing to Brighton Blvd. to State St. Traffic lights will be set for 3 minutes to allow steady flow to stadium. This will be the same for exiting."

buckman
Freshman Team

Post by buckman »

If you know how to get to I70 over where all of the restaurants are(Olive Garden, BE, etc,) just get there and hop on I70 west, and take the State St.(Exit 153A I think) exit, and turn right on State St. and go until you see it on the left.

so.stormmom
Freshman Team

Post by so.stormmom »

Bulldogs go down roll out the basketball boys

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

ROY MUNSUN wrote:Bulldogs go down roll out the basketball boys
As of 9:56 am on Thursday 11/13/14 this game is to close to call. The only advantage is that this is going to be like a home game for Tri-Valley!

niholly
Freshman Team

Post by niholly »

I haven't seen Tri-Valley play so I'm not for sure what they do well and what they struggle with. But Athens however has just been rolling from top to bottom this will definitely be a huge test for them but they have faced adversity before you don't go into Steubenville and score 56 points not having your crap together. Athens has played at Zanesville so it's not going to be a new feeling for them I look for them to get off the bus ready to play. I do see this as another score similar to that of Steubenville, and I'll take Athens 56-35 couple late TDs makes it look worse the score look worse then the game will be. Good luck to both teams.

Green Beagle
JV Team

Post by Green Beagle »

Watched Tri Valley beat The Generals and the Panthers on TV. Their Defense is impressive and they dont make a lot of mistakes. This will be a very close ball game.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

moonshine wrote:
ROY MUNSUN wrote:Bulldogs go down roll out the basketball boys
As of 9:56 am on Thursday 11/13/14 this game is to close to call. The only advantage is that this is going to be like a home game for Tri-Valley!
Athens took a thousand people to Steubenville so I would imagine 3 thousand folks from Athens county (at least) to make the trip to Zanesville.

I agree it will feel more like a home game to Tri Valley because of how close Dresden is....

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Green Beagle wrote:Watched Tri Valley beat The Generals and the Panthers on TV. Their Defense is impressive and they dont make a lot of mistakes. This will be a very close ball game.
I got a cousin who follows the Scottish and he loaned me a couple Dvds with a few games from this year and I agree about their defense. My prediction has changed since lol

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Wouldn't miss this game for anything, goodluck to the Bulldogs tomorrow night from a Warrior fan!

Purplesage
Freshman Team

Post by Purplesage »

theplainsbulldog wrote:
A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:I'm happy all of these people are so confident in the Athens team but some of the predictions are bold to say the least. Tri-Valley was the better of the two teams a year ago as I believe Springfield Shawnee was the better of the two teams the year before but both teams made the mistake of allowing the Bulldogs to hang around within striking distance and both paid the price. If you remember TV led by 14 very late into the 2nd qtr until Burrow found Luehrman basically as time expired to end the half and then TV made the mistake of kicking off to Trae Williams to open the 2nd half and all of the sudden the game was tied one play into the half, after that it was anyone's game to win and the Bulldogs found a way. Athens is a better team than last year but so is Tri-Valley, this game could easily go either way and honestly the team that makes the fewest mistakes (least penalties, turn overs, etc.) will most likely win and that is all there really is to it.
I agree completely....anyone who was at the game last year knows what a complete, big, and strong team TV is. It took a special teams TD, a defensive TD, overtime, and a little luck for the Bulldogs to win. It could have easily been TV moving on.

This game makes me very nervous from an Athens standpoint. Both teams have everyone back, both teams have added a few players, and both teams have gotten a year bigger and stronger. For me it comes down to the Athens defense vs the TV offensive. I am afraid that the defense of Athens wont be able to stop the offensive TV has and this will cause extra pressure on Athens to score. Can the defense of the Bulldogs get a couple of stops throughout the game? I think that is what it will take. If we can get a couple of stops, Athens has a great chance to win. If Athens doesn't get a few stops (I don't think Athens can score every time against their 4 point per game defense) TV will likely be moving on this week.

I hope the Bulldog defense that showed up Friday against Granville is the defense that shows up against TV (tough, aggressive, hard-hitting, and good tackling). I can't wait to find out. Either way, it will be a great game - fun to watch - and the best team will be moving on. I hope we get another classic, with the Bulldogs winning in double OT this year!
I have to agree with this completely because it was TV that was ahead most of that game last year even up by as many as 3 scores but Athens "big plays" kept coming back and special teams scored a couple and it was all good!!! Someone earlier mention a BIG front D line for TV but they had better be quick too!!! Steubenville has quick linemen and they couldn't get the job done!!!! Even if down Athens is never out of it as proven in this very game last year hope for a safe and exciting game tommorrow night!! Time to break out the arctic wear and hand warmers!!!! Love it football weather!!!!

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Athens has had a great 3 year run. Regional runner ups the last 2 years with thrilling wins in the regional semi-finals the last 2 years. Playoff wins over Springfield Shawnee and Tri-Valley in two awesome HS games. Went to Steubenville this year and put up points not seen there for decades. Obvious D1 athletes plus a few other studs at their positions. This is a great Ohio D3 team. Certainly among the top few in the state. The expectations are very high.

Tri-Valley has been to the playoffs all but one year from 2006-2014. All were solid teams, but had great teams in 2007, 2010 (beat New Albany in week 11 with many predicting they would win the state),2012 and now 2014. The earlier great teams had a few studs at their positions and solid players at other positions. This TV team has exceptional players at most positions but too many contributors for any player to set many individual records. Solid athletic linemen. They two platoon but some play a drive on both sides the ball here and there or as needed. Quick line backers. Athletic and fairly tall DBs who will put a hit on you if you do catch it. The offense executes well and can run or throw depending on what the defense gives them. The expectations are high.

Athens is the first team that Tri-Valley has faced that could beat them (forget New Philly, there were a few reasons it was not a blowout and won't go into now). Tri-Valley is the first team that Athens has met that could beat them (I saw Steubenville play last year and knew Athens would beat them this year.......also, no offense to Nelsonville York intended).

One day from now, one team and community will be celebrating and the other will be in shock as their minds turn toward basketball. I really wish this match up occurred week 13, but it is what it is. AND then comes DeSales or Jackson.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

The above post was a great breakdown of both teams. One thing that wins championship are a great defense and solid special teams! With that being said, I still look for a very close game would like to see the bullpuppies win! BUT the money is on Tri-Valley if I was a betting Man!

n4sir
Freshman Team

Post by n4sir »

The A train will get derailed tonite. Scottie's in a close one.

Vladd
Freshman Team

Post by Vladd »

Good luck Athens

Return to “Football”