WARNING

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: WARNING

Post by 4thgoal »

From time to time, nearly all forums go through some bad times. Usually, it is a select few who are causing the ripples in the pond. I have been around SEOP for a long time and have seen bad posters come and go. It is basically like the cops starting to watch a certain road for speeders.....you write a few tickets and everyone slows down. Same goes for around here....delete a few posts and kick a couple people off and everyone else straightens up. I think we all know the expected behavior and for the most part, respect it. Personal attacks and talking bad about specific coaches or kids should not be tolerated.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

hawkeyepierce wrote:So, let me get this straight. You, Mr. Bulldog, have been appointed, no...maybe you have taken...the mantle of conversation cop, the police of provocation, oh...I know...the JJ of preps. There is reason why this forum has been popular. I say has been. I know that some of our friends along the river have joined a different forum and because of this kind of censorship has steadily become more stringent, this forum is declining in popularity.

My opinion, not that it matters, as long as the threads or posts do not cross the lines of decency (name-calling, student/athlete persecution, and so on). It is a fact, opinions and sometimes, and unfortunately, rumors are the catalyst of this forum. If something that has been posted and can be proven otherwise, then so be it, make that post. Why in the world would anyone assume to censor any information. To me, and my opinion only, that is arrogant.

If parents or coaches are emailing you, then I would question their motivation. Why would they care that a bunch of middle-aged men (predominately) with a keyboard and fingers have an opinion. I would not go to my local coffee shop and listen to them, why would I read their opinions. Here's a thought, don't click on that thread. However, if you can't do that, get their side, or get the truth, post it. Just don't take it down because YOU may think it is unnecessary, rebut it. Provide the readers and users of this forum the information, allow the users to decide. In my line of work, I tell my clients two things; first, I will never, ever, judge them. I have not lived their lives. Secondly, and it goes to this, I will never, ever, lie to them. I will always tell them truth and sometimes the truth hurts or it will set them free.
You completely missed the point of my post. You're thinking a whole bunch of posts will be deleted or something. It was basically a statement to say "hey, there are still rules on SEOPS, there are moderators, please at least TRY and stick to sports topics."

You fail to realize Hawkeye that there are some posters on here with as many as 6 different user names - and they continuously post under different ones in attempt to 'stir the pot' or 'annoy' other posters.

You tell me man, what should we do about that? What do we do with some of the non sense that has been going on here?

I simply made a post to let everyone know we will try and steer the conversations toward sports related topics. We will try and cut down on some of the rumors, especially if a coach/player/parent is extremely offended by them. We will try and cut down on the multiple user names only posting to cause trouble.

Is that seriously a bad thing, Hawkeye?

if it is - give me another solution please.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Very well said hawkeye! Thats one of the reasons I like looking in on here,to see what the latest rumor mill has stirred up,and a lot of the time where there is smoke there is fire.I agree there has to be action taken against non-sensical posts as we have seen a lot of in the recent past and even those are sometimes entertaining but not be overkill.And of course bashing of student athletes has always been a rule I thought.If you take away the rumors and thoughts this forum loses a lot of luster IMO.Might as well just read a newspaper instead of even coming here. People that don't like it, don't look, as simple as that. :122249

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

You better get that Orange and Brown kicked off here!!
That SOB is getting bitter in his old age!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You guys are reading way to much into the original post.

But I will say, if a concerned coach or parent e-mails us about a rumor - and informs us the rumor is completely false - the topic or post will probably be taken down. I'm sorry if that bothers some people, but looking out for the best interest of a student athlete, a kid basically, supersedes your enjoyment or entertainment.

Just keep in mind this is mostly a high school sports forum - the athletes are not college students, they are not adults, they are not professionals.

bullfrog93
Freshman Team

Post by bullfrog93 »

I have to admit I think this much to do about nothing. I havent noticed ANYONE bashing kids anytime recently on here. Have I missed something? I found the senseless banter on here to be amusing. It seems to me the desire to clean up the site has gone a little far. This site is VERY mild compared to what it used to be. 10 years ago it was open season here. Coaches especially got bashed. What I read now sounds mostly like people poking fun. Of course in todays politically correct world, we call that bullying :roll:

Is this really any different than the guys at the water cooler at work? Some are serious and some are goofing around. We listen to who we want and tune out the others. Shouldnt that be the case here too.....or did I miss the Russian army leaving the Ukraine and taking over SEOPS too? :lol:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bullfrog93 wrote:Is this really any different than the guys at the water cooler at work? Some are serious and some are goofing around. We listen to who we want and tune out the others
Yea, it's a lot different. Person A and person B at the water cooler are talking amongst themselves and nobody hears.

What you say here is seen by everyone.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

93Bulldog wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:So, let me get this straight. You, Mr. Bulldog, have been appointed, no...maybe you have taken...the mantle of conversation cop, the police of provocation, oh...I know...the JJ of preps. There is reason why this forum has been popular. I say has been. I know that some of our friends along the river have joined a different forum and because of this kind of censorship has steadily become more stringent, this forum is declining in popularity.

My opinion, not that it matters, as long as the threads or posts do not cross the lines of decency (name-calling, student/athlete persecution, and so on). It is a fact, opinions and sometimes, and unfortunately, rumors are the catalyst of this forum. If something that has been posted and can be proven otherwise, then so be it, make that post. Why in the world would anyone assume to censor any information. To me, and my opinion only, that is arrogant.

If parents or coaches are emailing you, then I would question their motivation. Why would they care that a bunch of middle-aged men (predominately) with a keyboard and fingers have an opinion. I would not go to my local coffee shop and listen to them, why would I read their opinions. Here's a thought, don't click on that thread. However, if you can't do that, get their side, or get the truth, post it. Just don't take it down because YOU may think it is unnecessary, rebut it. Provide the readers and users of this forum the information, allow the users to decide. In my line of work, I tell my clients two things; first, I will never, ever, judge them. I have not lived their lives. Secondly, and it goes to this, I will never, ever, lie to them. I will always tell them truth and sometimes the truth hurts or it will set them free.
You completely missed the point of my post. You're thinking a whole bunch of posts will be deleted or something. It was basically a statement to say "hey, there are still rules on SEOPS, there are moderators, please at least TRY and stick to sports topics."

You fail to realize Hawkeye that there are some posters on here with as many as 6 different user names - and they continuously post under different ones in attempt to 'stir the pot' or 'annoy' other posters.

You tell me man, what should we do about that? What do we do with some of the non sense that has been going on here?

I simply made a post to let everyone know we will try and steer the conversations toward sports related topics. We will try and cut down on some of the rumors, especially if a coach/player/parent is extremely offended by them. We will try and cut down on the multiple user names only posting to cause trouble.

Is that seriously a bad thing, Hawkeye?

if it is - give me another solution please.
I've stayed out of this, but no more. I agree in principle with Hawkeye, he is absolutely correct. That said, to your point Bulldog. "You fail to realize Hawkeye that there are some posters on here with as many as 6 (should be six) different user names, and they continuously post under different ones in attempt to 'stir the pot' or 'annoy' other posters. You tell me man, what should we do about that?" Well, the pragmatist in me will make this very easy Bulldog. If what I just quoted from you is accurate, then you know who they are. Ban them. Plain and simple. I have grown tired of their shenanigans myself, it is boorish, childish, and frankly stupid. This website would be better off without them. You will recall that one person went on a personal crusade during basketball season to accuse me of having multiple user names because of some of my tongue and cheek comments about the barbershop in Racine. That's been a running joke on this website since it's inception, and the guy did his best with his incessant badgering to try and get me to say something that would get me banned. I ignored it. I didn't run to the mods to "save me". Let it go and moved on. Of course, some others picked up on it and started ridiculing my accuser, and he disappeared. Part of the self policing that can occur, with the right posters on a site such as this. That is the good thing about Preps, and lets not ruin it. Honestly, there are a handful of dilweeds on here that just continue to post inane, ridiculous things looking to start a conflict. Boot them off of here permanently and then you won't have to start "warning" threads like this. Oh, and don't ever boot Kenny Bixx off of here. He's too original, absurd, and funny to not let us have a little fun......... Sorry Hawkeye.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Steely Dan wrote:Honestly, there are a handful of dilweeds on here that just continue to post inane, ridiculous things looking to start a conflict. Boot them off of here permanently and then you won't have to start "warning" threads like this.
I was trying to be nice about it. Not wanting to ban anyone. I have never banned a single poster in 3 years. This thread was started to remind users to try and keep the information/posts steered toward sports. That is all. I mean, it is a SPORTS FORUM. I understand we go off topic sometimes, people will throw out a few funny posts here and there (between sports related posts) - and that's fine.

Just try and keep it sports related, that's all I ask.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

People with six user names? That's crazy. Why and how do they get by with it, if the Seop Staff knows about it? I think one user name should be a rule as well. It might cut down on some of the problems and foolishness. JMO.

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Post by jiveturkey »

One problem is mods giving out IP addresses of one poster to another poster. Then, with the use of a proxy server, the receiving poster can create multiple names with what appears to be the unsuspecting posters IP. Then tells the mods that the first poster is posting under multiple names trying to get them booted. Crazy thing those proxy servers.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The ONLY problem is someone WANTING to create another user name for the sole purpose of being a jack****!

Plain and simple.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Dog, I sent you a PM. I have not missed the point. I understood precisely. AND I CONFESS, I am guilty too, of using multiple usernames. In my defense, it was to poke a little fun at, first, my friends and myself, and those that take this forum WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. Like I said, who cares about what middle-aged men have to say. I am surprised and flattered that some people are interested in what I have to say. But in the end, it is just my opinion.

However, I think that as Moderator, you are in the unique position that you can tell the other side this story. YOU COULD SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT, if you will. It is better than alternative, and that is censoring free speech. Again, just my opinion.

SD, dude, you don't have to worry about me. I love you. You will always be solid with me even if we don't agree.

What I have been saying, I think this forum has suffered in popularity over the past few years and that could be for several reasons. First, I believe the big move to the other forum from our passionate fans along the river has affected the traffic on this forum. Two, I believe that social media has affected this forum, facebook, twitter, instagram, and etc. have taken up more of our free time. Three, we have lost some great posters over the past two to three years, and may God bless them and their families. Finally, I don't want unwarranted or unnecessary censorship to be the final straw and this website slowly sink into internet oblivion.

People, much like me, come to this forum to get information and to provide information. We want to hear about coaches being hired, fired, or retired and we want to know why. We want to hear about who may be transferring and why? We want to know about those individuals who found success in the arena and classroom. However, much like today, especially in political discourse, you can't moderate the fringes, there will always be idiots (multiple usernames) and those who are pretentious (stuck-up and provide the facts and get off). There is a fine line there, but, if you are paying attention you can see it.

Speaking of idiots, nobody likes this forum more than me. And I will admit my posting has waned. I am not arguing with the Jackson people anymore, I am not defending Vinton County basketball anymore, and I am not making fun of my friends anymore. Is that because the opportunity isn't there anymore or have I grown up? I would like to think that it is the former and that's probably the reason for my lack of participation.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I LIKE THE DIRECTION THAT THE SITE IS HEADING NOW MYSELF.
I can't claim to be a founding father here, but I have nearly 26,000 posts, I've been a member since early 2005, and read posts without posting probably 6/7 months before that. I've always had my original and only name here. YOU'RE TIGER BAIT, the same avatar as long as I can remember.i've made ton's of friends here through the years. people I know and hang out with. I just frankly don't bother to come here when the thuggery is going on. but that seems to have changed.and personally I like that. nothing wrong with good ole fashion ribbing and horsin around. but too many were crossing that line. and it was nearly a fatal blow to this site.if it is moderated correctly, it will start prospering again, as football season approaches I believe. it can be great again.YTB.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

YTB, exactly. I said; "There is a fine line there, but, if you are paying attention you can see it." However, it could be moderated. The obvious "thuggery" should not be tolerated.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

As a casual poster, I come to this site to find out what is going on in the high school sport scene in SEO. The posters put up some great info, for an old Trojan living in Az for nearly 40 years, I do not know any of you, that I know of, I get a lot of news about SEO and really enjoy reading a true opinion, not bs. If I want to read the BS about players, coaches and so forth, I indeed go to the other site . Having said this, bulldog93, keep up the awesome job posters keep this site up and continue to make it the premier ( spl) site for SEO!
Wipalawalt

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

hawkeyepierce wrote:First, I believe the big move to the other forum from our passionate fans along the river has affected the traffic on this forum. Two, I believe that social media has affected this forum, facebook, twitter, instagram, and etc. have taken up more of our free time.
Actually, I know who started SEONEK (the southern forum) - and I get on there from time to time - and nobody really posts on it frequently. The 2nd thread down on the football forum, the last post was almost 10 days ago. I don't think many people/users went over their. They just stopped posting all together everywhere. Your 2nd point however is a very valid point - and I think that is the biggest reason for drop in traffic.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

This site is fine , I agree with 93bulldog people just have to think
Before they post false or stupid comments. It seems there has been
A lot of BS statements that could cause trouble for the mentioned person.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Just the facts ... the majority of users on southeasternohiopreps are posting under one IP address ... When you check to see "others posting from this IP address" - there are no other user names listed.

I find it interesting how this "proxy server" only includes a handful of members.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

one of the big draws with facebook is you actually know who you are talking to. and you are accountable for everything you say or type. but I've always liked this site, but a couple times it has just gotten completely out of hand because of lack of moderation.-------------it's a great resource for friends, sports, chatting and the like.but it simply has to be moderated more closely. and all of us posters need to be held more accountable for what we post, whether people know who you are or not.

Return to “Football”