Ironton to the OVC?

Jesco White
S

Re: Ironton to the OVC?

Post by Jesco White »

I'm an SOC guy, so this is could potentially come across as arrogant, but it's on my mind so here it goes......

Why do you guys think that Oak Hill or Wheelersburg would want to leave the SOC for the OVC? Who says Oak Hill is in a division of a conference that they don't want to be in? Have you read any of the posts from the Oak Hill folks on this site in regards to even the mention of the Oaks moving to the SOC 2 in football? The majority of them who have posted an opinion are dead set AGAINST moving to the larger division. I'm confident that if the Oaks ever wanted to take the next step, it's there for the taking......especially with Northwest moving down to the SOC 1 starting next year and Eastern Pike beginning Varsity play. From where I stand, I don't see why they haven't made the move to the SOC 2 yet to give each division of the conference 6 teams. I don't even think I need to really give a rationale for Wheelersburg, but then again, they seem to always come up since they were a charter member of the OVC waaaaaaay back when. The only problem with that as a primary reason is the same reason I laugh at those who want the SEOAL to hold on "just because".....the schools who left the SEOAL left for a better fit. Likewise, Wheelersburg is in the SOC 2 which is a better fit, and the same can be said for Oak Hill.

Now that my little rant is done, I definitely want to say that I think the OVC is absolutely moving in the right direction. Adding both Portsmouth and Ironton, while not being the goliath's that they once were, are still GREAT additions to the OVC and I think BOTH schools will elevate the league as a whole in all sports male and female. Hopefully the OVC will find one more program to make an even 8. It's not that I believe the SOC is so superior to the OVC. It's simply that either Wheelersburg or Oak Hill leaving the SOC 2 for the OVC is a lateral move at best and it just doesn't present near the upside for either of them the way it does for both Portsmouth and Ironton.

Best of luck to the OVC moving forward!! I look forward to watching the new rivalries that develop and the "bad blood" of yester-year turn into some excellent ball games.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

While I'm not sure that this is the best move for Ironton or Portsmouth in football, I am excited to see both schools be part of a local league. I feel this move will be good for Peake, Coal Grove, Fairland, and possibly South Point. Those teams will have to bring their level of competition up in order to beat Ironton and Portsmouth. I am worried that Rock Hill may be become the cellar dweller each year (ala Northwest in the Soc). The thing that is troubling about Ironton is the fact that they have scheduled tough, and have benefited come playoff time. However, it will result in wins immediately. Hopefully they continue to play tough non-conf foes.

From a competition standpoint, the Seoal was great for Ironton and Portsmouth. From a travel standpoint the Ovc will be much better.

I AM FORREST
Riding the Bench

Post by I AM FORREST »

FORREST SAYS: Ironton is in ALL SPORTS, and never, let me repeat, never ever did Ironton ask to be in for all sports except football. Ironton is willing to start league play next year, said they would pay their contracts off to get out of games. Portsmouth said they would start next yr in everything except football.
Last edited by I AM FORREST on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I don'y see any SOC teams moving to the OVC.
GAllia Academy turned down the move to the OVC so that leaves the possibility of one more team to make it a even league I still wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson look at trying to join.
Other than Jackson or Gallia I see no other teams out there as options to join Chillicothe is happy in their new conference so not a lot out there to choose from.

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Post by Manxious2 »

Very well stated! I am ecstatic about the addition of Portsmouth and Ironton to the OVC. I would like to see the OVC aggressively court both Gallipolis and Jackson to join the conference now. It would really add depth to the conference and become a win-win for all concerned (Other than the SEOAL). Don't worry about the odd number in the conference membership. At some point in time there will be another school come into the mix. As far as any school from the SOC joining the OVC, I think that they would be crazy! That conference is solid.
Jesco White wrote:I'm an SOC guy, so this is could potentially come across as arrogant, but it's on my mind so here it goes......

Why do you guys think that Oak Hill or Wheelersburg would want to leave the SOC for the OVC? Who says Oak Hill is in a division of a conference that they don't want to be in? Have you read any of the posts from the Oak Hill folks on this site in regards to even the mention of the Oaks moving to the SOC 2 in football? The majority of them who have posted an opinion are dead set AGAINST moving to the larger division. I'm confident that if the Oaks ever wanted to take the next step, it's there for the taking......especially with Northwest moving down to the SOC 1 starting next year and Eastern Pike beginning Varsity play. From where I stand, I don't see why they haven't made the move to the SOC 2 yet to give each division of the conference 6 teams. I don't even think I need to really give a rationale for Wheelersburg, but then again, they seem to always come up since they were a charter member of the OVC waaaaaaay back when. The only problem with that as a primary reason is the same reason I laugh at those who want the SEOAL to hold on "just because".....the schools who left the SEOAL left for a better fit. Likewise, Wheelersburg is in the SOC 2 which is a better fit, and the same can be said for Oak Hill.

Now that my little rant is done, I definitely want to say that I think the OVC is absolutely moving in the right direction. Adding both Portsmouth and Ironton, while not being the goliath's that they once were, are still GREAT additions to the OVC and I think BOTH schools will elevate the league as a whole in all sports male and female. Hopefully the OVC will find one more program to make an even 8. It's not that I believe the SOC is so superior to the OVC. It's simply that either Wheelersburg or Oak Hill leaving the SOC 2 for the OVC is a lateral move at best and it just doesn't present near the upside for either of them the way it does for both Portsmouth and Ironton.

Best of luck to the OVC moving forward!! I look forward to watching the new rivalries that develop and the "bad blood" of yester-year turn into some excellent ball games.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

I AM FORREST wrote:FORREST SAYS: Ironton is in ALL SPORTS, and never let me repeat never ever asked to be in for all sports except football. Ironton is willing to start league play next year, said they would pay their contracts off to get out of games. Portsmouth said they would start next yr in everything except football.
that's impressive good work forrest I had a feeling you was right the entire time!!

I AM FORREST
Riding the Bench

Post by I AM FORREST »

FORREST SAYS: Thank You cg-Ironton fan ;-) ;-)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I think at this time, it is right for ironton to league up locally, and remain in a league. ironton is not the team of old right now, but not that far away either. the additional add of Portsmouth makes this league much, much stronger. I am all for Jackson or Gallia academy or both joining. Jackson in my opinion is a lil big for the league enrollment wise, but ironton and Portsmouth have been playing them for decades anyhow.i would not be opposed to the addition of oak hill either, it's a team on the rise, competing with a lot of these teams already.and I think the addition of the Trojans and fighting tigers will force the other ovc teams to rise up and reach a new level of competition.it will be great for basketball and the other major sports as well. and I am positive ironton's non league schedule will remain very aggressive.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

this has potential to rival the old seoal

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I have to laugh when I see and hear people say that Ironton will have a hard time making the playoffs in the OVC, haven't this years version of the Tigers kinda put that theory to bed, if a 4-6 record can get them in with (could be) wins over Oak Hill (D6) and Raceland (D5) then I think a 9-1 or even an 8-2 record playing in the OVC will get them in.

mr t
Waterboy

Post by mr t »

I think that instead of adding, the OVC will end up losing 1 if not 2. IE: Rock Hill. Just saying, don't be surprised :12223

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

where would rock hill go they are d5 like ironton , they need to become more competitive before another league would want them.the key to it is fix the problems you have.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

knightruner wrote:Oak Hill would be nice but Wheelersburg would be much better fit and that would make the OVC really tough in all sports. I could just see the basketball show now... wow!!
There is no way that Wheelersburg leaves the SOC for the OVC. That is absolutely insane to even think it.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:where would rock hill go they are d5 like ironton , they need to become more competitive before another league would want them.the key to it is fix the problems you have.
Making a play for the SOCI isn't unrealistic. The SOC already kind of set a precedent with Northwest that if your program is down enough, they'll let you in. One of Rock Hill's big rivals, Oak Hill, is already there (and big, compared wth the other schools). And, as I've said before, in nearly 60 years of OVC football, Rock Hill has won/shared 5 championships. Is that really competitive?

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:where would rock hill go they are d5 like ironton , they need to become more competitive before another league would want them.the key to it is fix the problems you have.

I think Rock Hill would be fine in the OVC if they could keep their players at Rock Hill and find a new coach. If you know what I mean. I also think the AD's and Principles should put heat on schools when kids want to transfer within the conference. The conference will never be balanced if kids continue to transfer within the conference.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

The SOCII needs to pickup either Jackson or Gallia or both. The OVC with now 7 team only leaves them with 4 weeks to schedule non-conference games. I doubt they'd only want to hamstring themselves to only 2 or 3 non conference games a year.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I think the 'new' OVC will be good for travel costs as well as better gate for all parties involved. As far as Wheelersburg, I can't imagine the administration even considering changing conferences. There are league rivalries with West, Minford and Valley is getting into the mix as well. The OVC will be a much better league with these additions, but I think the SOC is fine the way it is. It seems when people start hearing about a change to any league, they automatically want to build a 'super' or 'fantasy' league, when in reality there is nothing wrong with having more than one good league in the area.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Really glad to see Portsmouth getting into a league that they will have a chance on a regular basis of winning. This should be a solid league, and with our friends from Ironton coming on board this will give the league some state creditibity.
Would much rather had PHS go to the SOC but too many nay Sayers over there too allow that to happen

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

2trap_4ever wrote:I have to laugh when I see and hear people say that Ironton will have a hard time making the playoffs in the OVC, haven't this years version of the Tigers kinda put that theory to bed, if a 4-6 record can get them in with (could be) wins over Oak Hill (D6) and Raceland (D5) then I think a 9-1 or even an 8-2 record playing in the OVC will get them in.

Thats because Ironton has beaten teams and have the chance to beat a couple pretty good football teams at the end of the year. Look at Coal Grove they have trouble making it because of a weak league schedule. I mean go look at Coal Groves schedule since 2005. They've went 6-4 7-2 numerous times and didnt make the playoffs because of a weak league schedule.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

tigercannon71 wrote:
2trap_4ever wrote:I have to laugh when I see and hear people say that Ironton will have a hard time making the playoffs in the OVC, haven't this years version of the Tigers kinda put that theory to bed, if a 4-6 record can get them in with (could be) wins over Oak Hill (D6) and Raceland (D5) then I think a 9-1 or even an 8-2 record playing in the OVC will get them in.

Thats because Ironton has beaten teams and have the chance to beat a couple pretty good football teams at the end of the year. Look at Coal Grove they have trouble making it because of a weak league schedule. I mean go look at Coal Groves schedule since 2005. They've went 6-4 7-2 numerous times and didnt make the playoffs because of a weak league schedule.
Where have you been? Now that Ironton is in the OVC and you made several comments about the league. I guess now it will be the best league in the area!

Return to “Football”