Athens (3-0) vs Jackson (2-1)

doubleplay643
S

Re: Athens (3-0) vs Jackson (2-1)

Post by doubleplay643 »

moonshine wrote:Would love to see the ironboy's kick the bullpuppies a%%!

Early week prediction!

Jackson 28
Athens 24

Upset special of the week!
Like your pick moonshine, but Athens won last year even though we held them to 21 or so points as i recall when we were a senior dominated team. This year Burrows and company a year older (and wiser lol) and we have mostly juniors and sophomores in the line-up so i am guessing your prediction is a little wishful thinking??

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I wish Athens never would have left the SEOAL. It never made sense to me that they voted for expansion and then left before ever playing a game in the new league, but the past is the past. They were having a tough time at that point, but it would have been beneficial to stick it out. I'll be interested to see if Athens can maintain this level of play once this group of athletes passes through. I'd love to have them back in the SEOAL. They would be the class of the league at the moment, but we all know how that goes in cycles.

I have to admit that I get annoyed by all this "TVC over the SEOAL again" stuff though. It's funny because it isn't the Athens fans saying it, at least not for the most part. Some of you guys are like SEC fans.

tiger101
Waterboy

Post by tiger101 »

Dundas wrote:If Jackson can force about 5 turnovers and play nearly perfect themselves, they will have a shot. If not, Athens will win with ease, just as they have so far this year, and for the remainder of the season for that matter. TVC over the SEOAL again.
I'm not sure if your comparing the TVC to SEOAL in the short term or long term. But here's some info.

2010 Athens lost to Gallia & Warren, DNP SEOAL champ Jackson
2011 TVC champ Athens lost to SEOAL champ Jackson 27-7
2012 TVC champ Athens lost to SEOAL champ Gallia 52-34
This isn't a knock on Athens. They lost to some very good teams. Athens is definitely an awesome sports program and the pride of the TVC. But as for the TVC OH, that's as far as it goes.
Athens sports are in a good cycle while other TVC svhools have had a downturn. Remove Athens from the TVC and the TVC instantly becomes one of the weakest sports conferences (boys) in SEO.
Dundas, Athens has an awesome football team. They may win Fri night but it will be Athens over Jackson, not the TVC over Jackson.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Athens is good at all the sports across the board....nothing to do with the TVC.

They are good regardless.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

L.hall hates dealing with the spread offense. the one back spread limits him with his dfensive scheme. could be trouble for the ironmen

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

Seems that most people see this as a one sided affair, from what I gather from how the ironmen performed Saturday that might be the case. But this could get interesting if Jackson's defense can stop the big play capability of Athens. In my opinion, this Athens offense might be the best offense in southern ohio in the last 10 years. They can score points on ANYONE!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

The Athens offense hasn't hit their stride as of yet this season, a few of the new players just don't seem to have gelled quite as well as some seniors did last season in the same positions and it has hurt the efficiency quite a bit. Skylar and T-Mac just seemed to have a feel for Burrow and what he was going to do with the ball last year and the whole thing worked much more fluently. This year while the overall talent of Saltzman, Vander Ven and Wiseman is on par with those guys it just seems as if they aren't "clicking" in the same way. There have been way to many dropped passes and infinitely to many penalties for them to perform the way the did last year and hopefully we can get these things cleaned up this week.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

eddie wrote:L.hall hates dealing with the spread offense. the one back spread limits him with his dfensive scheme. could be trouble for the ironmen
Yes, our history with defending the spread (last year Athens and Burg, this year WJ) and soon to be round two with Athens and Burg is troublesome. We will see if we change schemes or personnel or both this week...GO RED, I am a shameless supporter and optimist so hope Jackson can giving the Bulldogs their only defeat of the year and us picking up massive amounts of primary and secondary points on this one...that's my story and I am sti..sti..stick...stickin' to it

Texas 2
Freshman Team

Post by Texas 2 »

I wouldn't say the TVC over the SEOAL. Athens left us so they could be in an easy league. look what happen in the playoffs in 2011. Both Jackson and Athens undefeated but who won? Jackson

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Texas 2 wrote:I wouldn't say the TVC over the SEOAL. Athens left us so they could be in an easy league. look what happen in the playoffs in 2011. Both Jackson and Athens undefeated but who won? Jackson
They were both (10-0) ... except Athens was the No. 2 seed and Jackson the No. 7 seed ... easier league? perhaps. But its a 6-team league ... only 1/2 the season is against the TVC-Ohio.
And what happened in 2012? Athens made the playoffs, won two games and was playing in the regional championship game. How many SEOAL teams made it that far? Just curious?

:mrgreen:

And BTW ... Athens leaving the SEOAL for an easier league was not the case ... Athens leaving the SEOAL because of the ol mighty dollar was ... they cut travel in half - and probably doubled revenue from gate and concessions ... the cost/benefit analysis I'm betting was astounding ... people forget a league filters down to 7th and 8th grade too ... that's a lot of teams traveling to Albany instead of Portsmouth ... your gas cost is cut dramatically across the board - the bus drivers fee's are cut dramatically and the TIME was cut dramatically ... the fact the kids are home by 9:00 pm on a Tuesday night after a volleyball match; as opposed to midnight if they were in Portsmouth - was a BIG FACTOR in switching leagues. Trips to Logan were replaced by trips to Nelsonville ... instead of Gallia its Meigs ... instead of Jackson its Wellston ... instead of Chillicothe its McArthur ... instead of Portsmouth its Albany ... every single trip was shortened - and when Athens left Chillicothe, Zanesville, Ironton were still members of the SEOAL.

It was a no brainer decision.

Texas 2
Freshman Team

Post by Texas 2 »

Who has made more playoffs? Jackson or Athens

Cornhusker
Waterboy

Post by Cornhusker »

So why didn't Athens just vote "no" on the expansion if they didn't want to travel to Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Ironton and Zanesville?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Texas 2 wrote:Who has made more playoffs? Jackson or Athens
Seeing as I consider Jackson a 'football' school - I would say the Ironmen.

pretty sure they didn't make it in 1990 though ... tee hee hee

:mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Cornhusker wrote:So why didn't Athens just vote "no" on the expansion if they didn't want to travel to Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Ironton and Zanesville?
The proposition to join the TVC came a year later ... at the time of the vote it may have sounded like a good idea.

if you had a job Cornhusker and the business had the employees vote on changes needed to be made - and you voted yes thinking you were going to be their forever ... but then a year later a company comes calling and says "you can work 25 hours per week instead of 40 and we'll pay you twice as much ... AND ... the business is a mile from your home" ... what would you do?

you would do what was best for you and your family, correct?

Shame on Athens for the doing the same?

Texas 2
Freshman Team

Post by Texas 2 »

let's hope that in the near future they can start playing each other. Athens has a nice field and scoreboard.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

The cost and travel were obviously a big part of it, but if you think competition didn't play a part in it, you aren't being serious. Athens was struggling in most of its major sports for a significant period of times. Talent goes in cycles and better talent coming through the halls, along with an easier schedule, leads to more winning, excitement and confidence, which increases the numbers on the team, which is also an advantage. The early days in the TVC allowed Athens to rebuild and get confidence, and now you see Athens scheduling some tough games in the major sports. As far as TVC vs. SEOAL, I eventually see the two combining when people can get their skirts out of a knot to form a big school, medium school and small school divisions.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Texas 2 wrote:Who has made more playoffs? Jackson or Athens
Don't care, but I do know Jackson will get beat this Friday night and our easier league has 2 teams who are predicted to make deep runs in the playoffs and the defending WVa AAA state champs.

When is the last time any team in the SEOAL has made a deep run in the playoffs?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:The cost and travel were obviously a big part of it, but if you think competition didn't play a part in it, you aren't being serious. Athens was struggling in most of its major sports for a significant period of times. Talent goes in cycles and better talent coming through the halls, along with an easier schedule, leads to more winning, excitement and confidence, which increases the numbers on the team, which is also an advantage. The early days in the TVC allowed Athens to rebuild and get confidence, and now you see Athens scheduling some tough games in the major sports. As far as TVC vs. SEOAL, I eventually see the two combining when people can get their skirts out of a knot to form a big school, medium school and small school divisions.
Actually ... Athens wasn't struggling in the other sports ... they still have the most baseball titles in the SEOAL, they were always competitive in basketball - and the girls programs were all on par with the SEOAL.

The million dollar question is: how much did the thought of possibly winning more, because they were going to the TVC, have in the equation to switch ... that I don't know ... but it was a rather large web of reasons, with dollars being a major component ... I will have to corner some administrators, who played a part in the decision, and ask them one day ... :mrgreen:

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

bman wrote:The cost and travel were obviously a big part of it, but if you think competition didn't play a part in it, you aren't being serious. Athens was struggling in most of its major sports for a significant period of times. Talent goes in cycles and better talent coming through the halls, along with an easier schedule, leads to more winning, excitement and confidence, which increases the numbers on the team, which is also an advantage. The early days in the TVC allowed Athens to rebuild and get confidence, and now you see Athens scheduling some tough games in the major sports. As far as TVC vs. SEOAL, I eventually see the two combining when people can get their skirts out of a knot to form a big school, medium school and small school divisions.
That would be nice. the old SEOAL Athens, Jackson, Logan ,Wellston, Meigs, Galla, Nellsonville

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I'm in favor of Logan playing Athens again in football. Cmon , Dogs, get it done . Schedule up. Logan sucks right now . Right ? :lol:

Come get a piece of the Chiefs. 8)

Return to “Football”