Is the Pick Em contest Dead...???

pmow3
Varsity

Is the Pick Em contest Dead...???

Post by pmow3 »

Looks like it's just too hard to keep going. I hate to see it die... But it's hard to be in charge of it. Lots of work.....

SEpanthermom
Riding the Bench

Re: Is the Pick Em contest Dead...???

Post by SEpanthermom »

I hope not but time for this weeks pics is getting short.

SEpanthermom
Riding the Bench

Post by SEpanthermom »

I hope not but time for this weeks pics is getting short.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Been Watching For it. Havent even posted week 2 results. Hope week 3 comes out today or tomorrow!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

pmow3 wrote:Looks like it's just too hard to keep going. I hate to see it die... But it's hard to be in charge of it. Lots of work.....
You're starting to frankly get on my nerves. You've done nothing since I first said I'd do it besides whine and worry that somehow someone was going to cheat. Yes, it is a lot of work. No, it's not more than I can handle. You'd think that as worried as you seemed to be about this thing that you'd have been one of the MANY folks on here who've offered to help, but you aren't. So sit back, make your picks, and quit bothering me. Thank you and good luck the rest of the way.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

I was the head behind last year's pick'em (sorry guys). Last year, from what I remember no one had any interest of doing it until I decided to do it pretty close to when the season starts (how hard can it be, right?). Obviously, it became very overwhelming for me. In retrospect, I came to the conclusion this contest has the most participants in the entire state when cross-referencing other boards's contests. Wow, right!? It's kinda surreal it's that active.

Major props to those who have been able to do and see it out quickly and efficiently, and a major props to the user "fuzzhead" for taking it on this year. Even if it "dies", don't sweat it man. With that said,
fuzzhead wrote:if you'd have been one of the MANY folks on here who've offered to help, but you aren't.
is what immediately came to my head because its true. It is a lot of work that seemingly gets exponentially more time-intensive as the season goes on. It's easy to fall behind or post the standings/new picks later than what people want you to do so by. Humans are fallible beings, after all.

I think if there was one problem with Pick 'Em contest in general its that so many people (70+ users, I think?) want to play yet so few are willing to step up and do the contest. Not to say that the pick'em creators/game-masters are beyond reproach, but I don't think its a stretch to say that when participants are faced with a) being a part of the solution, b) being part of the problem, and c) neither, most choose option "c", a good few choose option "a", but its the ones such as the OP that choose "b" that do make this sacrifice of time and energy hell.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Wow... Whatever. My 2 messages to Fuzzhead were trying to help also. One was to alert him that in week 1, Portsmouth and Valley's game was Thursday.
And the other one was to see if he could get them to close the thread before the games start because I knew that people could go in and edit their post. I was just trying to help as well...
It's not that big of a deal to me. Certainly not as big of a deal to get on somebody on here about. But honestly, you didn't ask me to help. And I only asked a question that others were curious about...
But hey, You aren't the first guy I've ticked off...
But honestly, if you needed help and asked for it, I would've been glad to help in any way. And Formerfcfan, You don't know me other than what Fuzzhead claimed I did. And 1 post on SEOP's doesn't mean enough for you to pass judgement on me...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

fuzzhead wrote:
pmow3 wrote:Looks like it's just too hard to keep going. I hate to see it die... But it's hard to be in charge of it. Lots of work.....
You're starting to frankly get on my nerves. You've done nothing since I first said I'd do it besides whine and worry that somehow someone was going to cheat. Yes, it is a lot of work. No, it's not more than I can handle. You'd think that as worried as you seemed to be about this thing that you'd have been one of the MANY folks on here who've offered to help, but you aren't. So sit back, make your picks, and quit bothering me. Thank you and good luck the rest of the way.
I have done these before on other sites and they can be very difficult at times. Too many things in life take up time and that can make finding time for these things hard to find.

Keep up the good work

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Yeah. I "acknowledged" that it was a lot of work. I run many many pools at home myself. Fantasy football leagues, etc. I fully know the work that is involved. lol... It's comical that anybody took my original message as a lack of respect to anyone doing this...... LOL

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pmow3 wrote:Yeah. I "acknowledged" that it was a lot of work. I run many many pools at home myself. Fantasy football leagues, etc. I fully know the work that is involved. lol... It's comical that anybody took my original message as a lack of respect to anyone doing this...... LOL
I didn't take it that way. I just feel the ones that do these just need a good word here and there.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I agree. But I think there is little point In me being the one to say it at this point... LOL

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

No hard feelings to ya pmow... I've been there. Like noreply said, those that run the contest just need a good word here & there. I'm glad noreply put in words what I was thinking.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

Yeah, I learned from trying to do one last year it is very difficult to do and harder than what people think. I was tempted to do one for college football this year somewhat similar to how fuzzhead did his for high school football pick em, but I didn't want to start one and end up getting so busy later on in the season like I did last year and have to drop out of hosting my pick em again. You either have to have pretty much no life, which I am sure isn't Fuzzhead, or be an expert at scheduling to make enough time to calculate all the scores (in fuzzhead's case right now, 90+ people's pick ems) and coming up with the 25 games to use the next week without seriously affecting your personal life. Hang in there Fuzzhead! Focus on making it to the playoffs and it'll get easier from there.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

GoBucks1047 wrote:Yeah, I learned from trying to do one last year it is very difficult to do and harder than what people think. I was tempted to do one for college football this year somewhat similar to how fuzzhead did his for high school football pick em, but I didn't want to start one and end up getting so busy later on in the season like I did last year and have to drop out of hosting my pick em again. You either have to have pretty much no life, which I am sure isn't Fuzzhead, or be an expert at scheduling to make enough time to calculate all the scores (in fuzzhead's case right now, 90+ people's pick ems) and coming up with the 25 games to use the next week without seriously affecting your personal life. Hang in there Fuzzhead! Focus on making it to the playoffs and it'll get easier from there.

:aaaaa59

Return to “Football”