The "same old plays and offense" speech

punk rock rules
Waterboy

The "same old plays and offense" speech

Post by punk rock rules »

Rarely do I ever start a topic about anything. I really never see the point of opening up any can of worms. But I've been reading this speech for years about " these coaches are terrible they have been calling them same plays for years. Time to get up the times and call a new offense. ". i don't understand this statement. Why do they need to go to a new offense. Everyone knew what coach lutz was going to run and he has won more games than anyone is Ohio school history. Coach Harmon from Wayne wv has run the same offense for 17 years and has averaged 12 wins every season he's been there. Coach Davis from Chesapeake ran the option and won 9 conference titles at a school that had only won two in the years before he got there. Paul Johnson at Georgia tech is 14 in the country and has been in the Ac title game. Believe 3 times and won it once and the two times he lost was to two teams that played in the national cha,ipoanship and he almost beat Florida state with Jamies Winston. Navy has given Ohio state and notre dame a run for their money every year they have played even though navy doesn't have the real talent that money oth schools have. I want to know what they think the new offense should I'm pretty sure everybody thinks they should pass. 5 wide wing and sling. That's what everybody thinks they need to win. Just last week spring valley high school a school that has been traditionally a school that goes five wide every play switched to a wing t offense and knocked off the defending state champs that any people picked would repeat and go undefeated. Boyd co high school has taken it a step further they run the single wing offense. That's right straight from the 50's and they are making the playoffs with it. So what is the offense that is "need to crash up with times" I would just other people's opions on what offense they believe is what they need to run. Because from what I've seen in the past traditional offense are pretty good.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Re: The "same old plays and offense" speech

Post by dime-a-dozen »

I absolutely love this post! I agree, also Chesapeake still runs the exact same double wing Coach Davis did.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

Amen, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Observer57
Waterboy

Post by Observer57 »

Problem is It is broken needed fixed for a couple years now

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

In the eyes of 99% of fans. Players win games and coaches lose games. Sad truth

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

The three most basic elements of football that are the major keys to winning are 1. Block better then the other team. 2. Tackle better then the other team. 3. Turn the ball over less then the other team. This is what made Ironton one of the top programs over the last 40 years.........well and a whole lot of transfers......

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

I go to the game to be entertained, and seeing the same thing all the time is boring. I am just a fan though, so the coach would be a moron to listen to me. That does not stop me from hoping for a counter reverse statue of liberty flicker though. COME ON COACH!

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

I wasn't singleing out any one program, just saying why change what's working, but I do get your point also.

I-town-90
Freshman Team

Post by I-town-90 »

Offenses that are successful all have elements that keep the defense off balance when they need to. You do that with play calling and execution. It is all about execution and it takes a certain type of coach that understands exactly what the execution is supposed to look like. It isn't nearly as easy as some people think yet it is very simple at it's core. You have to know what the execution should look like, and you have to understand what adjustments must be made to give your players the best chance at executing the play correctly.

niholly
Freshman Team

Post by niholly »

Understand to a point, but there are times when coaches are dealt players for a set amount of time where their typical stuff they've called in the past doesn't work. While I believe in if it isn't broke don't fix it, I also believe in rolling with the times and being able to adapt to the players at your disposal. If you've got a power football running game and don't have the linemen to make that running game work do you keep calling that offense thinking it's worked in the past, it'll work eventually?? Or do you have athletic players where you'd benefit more from spreading teams out and opening up gaps for play makers. Honestly and more so in high school then any other level a coach has to be able to adjust with the players he's given. Mentioning college success stories are pointless in this scenario as those coaches can recruit the exact players to fit their offense and their offense is seen by that 1 particular team once every blue moon so yeah it's going to have some success.

I-town-90
Freshman Team

Post by I-town-90 »

Greygoose wrote:Understand to a point, but there are times when coaches are dealt players for a set amount of time where their typical stuff they've called in the past doesn't work. While I believe in if it isn't broke don't fix it, I also believe in rolling with the times and being able to adapt to the players at your disposal. If you've got a power football running game and don't have the linemen to make that running game work do you keep calling that offense thinking it's worked in the past, it'll work eventually?? Or do you have athletic players where you'd benefit more from spreading teams out and opening up gaps for play makers. Honestly and more so in high school then any other level a coach has to be able to adjust with the players he's given. Mentioning college success stories are pointless in this scenario as those coaches can recruit the exact players to fit their offense and their offense is seen by that 1 particular team once every blue moon so yeah it's going to have some success.

Totally agree. I didn't mean to insinuate that a coach should stick with an offense designed in the stone ages, but I was just trying to shed some light on why some coaches are successful and some aren't with the same offense. In reality, no matter how you want to line up in the backfield, an off tackle run is pretty much an off tackle run, the blocking schemes can't vary too widely. It is always going to be about angles and leverage. How a team goes about setting up those angles and leverage varies, but the nuts and bolts are always going to be similar. You have to take what the defense is giving you and at the same time try to make the defense make choices. It isn't nearly as difficult as some want it to be, yet I have been around so many coaches that just don't get the simplicity at times and just ignore common sense.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

I love to watch the Vince Lombardi bio, when he explains the simplicity of and variations of the off tackle play, you have to dominate the other team, absolutely beautiful.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

A heart, good work ethic, a good line, good tackling, discipline, decent talent and smarts!! If you have a good mix of all of that you will win. The line is most important to everything.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

In seriousness, while I understand that every play comes down to execution, there's a reason you don't see teams on upper levels running 80% their sets out of the classic I formation. It is never a bad idea to learn from the people who coach football on a full time basis. Football has, in fact, changed through the years.

Return to “Football”