Friday only playoff games

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Re: Friday only playoff games

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

I would personaly stay home and watch college on saturdays unless wellston was in playoffs so does not affect me at all. But does kinda suck for all you who takes in 2-3 games plus if buckeyes played earlie i could take a saturday game. So it sucks lol

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Baseball 16 said quality refs. I know enough guys with a license will be available :)

I did not know they were limited to one playoff game a weekend. That sucks. Does make the argument moot, but if they ever go back to Friday and Saturday, I hope they change the ref rule.

I have seen a couple really good crews this year. Also seen some that got in the way of a good game. I haven't seen a game close enough that they impacted the outcome, so I guess all is good when the kids/coaches determine the outcome.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

baseball16 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:10 pm Trying to find enough quality refs to cover this amount of games will be impossible. Congrats your team just made the playoffs, now you will go play in a game with some very mediocre referees!! Good Job OHSAA, way to think it through again!!
Actually, by going to Friday you increase the number of officials because you have all the DIII and DIi college officials can now work, where before they maybe couldn't work. Even DIII playoff officials will be able to work games when they could not work in the past

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Bad thing is, if your team is still in the playoffs and the facilities are being used by the State as a host site, how can the fans go watch a round 2 game when they have to work the gates, concession etc.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Neutron Man wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 am Bad thing is, if your team is still in the playoffs and the facilities are being used by the State as a host site, how can the fans go watch a round 2 game when they have to work the gates, concession etc.
I don't believe they use the facilities of a team that is still in the playoffs, used to be that way unless things have changed.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

greygoose wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:52 am
Neutron Man wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 am Bad thing is, if your team is still in the playoffs and the facilities are being used by the State as a host site, how can the fans go watch a round 2 game when they have to work the gates, concession etc.
I don't believe they use the facilities of a team that is still in the playoffs, used to be that way unless things have changed.
That is correct! If a school puts in to host but their team ends up still playing that week the OHSAA moves on to another site.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:57 pm Like or dislike?

I HATE IT.
Oh look another topic that is nothing but disparaging to the OHSAA and play-offs. Let's see, we can add this to the list:

Ticket prices too high
Programs too expensive
Games on the wrong nights

If you have nothing to complain about then you obviously are not happy. The State of West Virginia will be grateful to receive your money.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Pa has double header playoff games on Sat and being I have the ability to head there, that is what I am going to do. Unless there is a lot of snow.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Personally I liked the Friday/Saturday format. Allowed fans to see more games. My biggest complaint is moving the State Championships to Canton. It's like "yeah it's a good idea to make 3/4 of the state drive a LONG distance for state title games". If they cannot have the games at The Shoe then I'm sure they could find a venue centrally located. Maybe even Columbus Crew Stadium. Soccer championships are Nov 10th & 11th. Plenty of time to feline field. Just my opinion.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I'm mean reline fields.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I agree in Canton is a bad plan being attendance had dwindle as much as it did over the years.

If Canton stays with the high prices they had upped each game to, when it move to Ohio State,coupled with all of the restrictions of an NFL owned stadium and I can see the numbers going down even more.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

If they are going to have the championship games in corners, then let Toledo have it one year at the glass bowl, OU have it one year at Peden, let UC host it at Nippert one year. Then every one drives one year or another. Also each stadium is big enough to handle the crowds.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

indianabuck wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:44 pm If they are going to have the championship games in corners, then let Toledo have it one year at the glass bowl, OU have it one year at Peden, let UC host it at Nippert one year. Then every one drives one year or another. Also each stadium is big enough to handle the crowds.
That sounds reasonable.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Does anyone think this could potentially affect some of the more southern teams. I am not trying to throw out. The old. Oh they hate us down here and we get screwed and have to travel. Etc etc. stuff. When I saw all games were Friday. And knowing that most teams don't host if still in the playoffs. I though Wow that could really cut down on potential sites. Especially In maybe week 12 and 13. From about circleville up there maybe plenty of sites. But I could see it causing. West or burg or potentially some of the area schools to have to travel to someone's backyard when they are the higher seed

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Counting the freshmen game I took in this weekend, I got five games in. Talked directly to a head coach about this very topic and he said he hated the Friday only thing. He went on to say that he nor any of the coaches in his area was ever asked their thoughts on this by the OHSAA. I have two other coaches I will talk to on this matter later tonight.
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

If their concern was attendance this will only hurt it. No longer can fans take in two games per weekend.

Transparent
Waterboy

Post by Transparent »

Crab's Brother wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:40 pm In reality, this actually increases the amount of good officials available.

Many of the best OHSAA refs also call college games. When they have to choose Saturday playoff games or college games, the college games win every time.
Yes crab. It will actually give more options in officiating and thus improve playoff officiating.

jkumpire
Waterboy

Post by jkumpire »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:04 pm I agree in Canton is a bad plan being attendance had dwindle as much as it did over the years.

If Canton stays with the high prices they had upped each game to, when it move to Ohio State,coupled with all of the restrictions of an NFL owned stadium and I can see the numbers going down even more.
Have you seen that new stadium? It's fantastic, and I would pay extra to watch FB games in that park. I'll miss the old Facwett Stadium since my son played there and my daughter marched there, but it is a fantastic venue.

Will officiate anything-- But Baseball Season is Never Far Away!
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Yes I have seen it and it looks great but I can't see going to an high school game, that has NFL restrictions.

Just me.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:51 pm Yes I have seen it and it looks great but I can't see going to an high school game, that has NFL restrictions.

Just me.
What are "NFL restrictions"?

Return to “Football”