Portsmouth West. Vs Wheelersburg Pirates Updates

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: Portsmouth West. Vs Wheelersburg Pirates Updates

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

The Flash wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:12 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:07 pm Great job Pirates! If I've said it once I've said it 9 other times this year, this Burg team just flat wears the other team out. 9 running clocks this year and Jackson could have easily been 10. Burg too many weapons on offense (and this is with their best RB standing on the sidelines in Reyes). Defense is just nasty against the run. Don't think West had a run all night over 8 yards. Pass defense had that bend but don't break mentality. Take away that first play and West total yards had to be less than 150.

Anyone know what the personal foul penalty on Lowery in the 1st qtr was about???? That sideline ref on the Burg side was probably the worst I've ever seen.

Can anyone answer as to why on two Burg kickoffs the West runner stepped into the end zone and then brought the ball out? Once he touched the end zone isn't that a dead ball????

Good luck Burg and West next week in the second season. Could be a possible week 13 matchup
The PF was for an illegal block. OHSAA made it illegal for players to lead with their shoulders

Ok. Thanks

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Westfan wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 pm Reyes is a good player but don't forget Berry for West was a big loss. He's a great two way player with speed. We really miss him. Outside shot he could play again if we go far enough

Didn't he break his collarbone?? Not sure if I was the young man I would chance it. Could affect him for the rest of his life

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

No problem. It’s a stupid rule but oh well

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

The best part of the game was my radar burger :lol:
Thanks to the Burg posters that suggested it

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Wheelersburg was able to make adjustments in the 2nd quarter that West didn't adjust to. They earned and deserved to win.

QB SNEAK
Freshman Team

Post by QB SNEAK »

I’m really interested to hear how many people were there tonight. That place was packed!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

QB SNEAK wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:53 pm I’m really interested to hear how many people were there tonight. That place was packed!
Packed wasn't the word for it

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

The Flash wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:27 pm The best part of the game was my radar burger :lol:
Thanks to the Burg posters that suggested it
Your welcome. Glad u liked it

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:10 pm
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:09 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 pm With coach woodward gettin his 100th career win tonight. Anyone know how far behind ed he is for our all time wins

Not sure of the exact number, but I think Ed had around 250 wins while at the Burg so he is 15 or more years away of getting close to that number.
i just seen on maxpreps that ed had 170 wins at burg and 250 for his career
Okay, I knew the 250 was in the equation somewhere. Lol

He could get the record in the next 7 to 8 years if they keep up the 10 wins per year average.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Post by ohwkGREATNESSyrio »

Believe everyo one who is not a west thumper seen this coming.

I AM HARMS WAY. Life is a knive fight. Bring guns for the fun.
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Wonder where all the West posters are that said the Burg would never put a running clock on them?? At least have the decency to give the Burg their props for the win. They deserve that.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Burg94
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg94 »

Let's face it...in southern Ohio there is not much that can bring joy to most of our communities. Daily drug raids, arrests, OD's,etc. but tonight was an example of what is right in our small towns. Faithful supporters of the youth in our schools. It is awesome to see! This support is not present everywhere. Went to a Cincy Colerain/Princeton game couple years ago with many D-1 athletes on the field and no where near the support shown tonight. No matter our bashing each other throughout the week or light-hearted degrading, deep down we support each other as was displayed in the donation to the family of West student from Burg elementary. I for one am proud of tonight and wish West luck in playoffs. They have improved tremendously under coach Johnson.

Da_Burg
Freshman Team

Post by Da_Burg »

Cpt. Obvious wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:52 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:13 pm
The Oaf wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Classy! :lol:
But there was absolutely no way Burg could have put a running clock on West.
Obviously west fans would know about class.... I especially liked how they started leaving when the 4th quarter started... forget that West is 9-1 and hosting a playoff game, or that they’ve played their asses off all season long. Let’s leave early and let our team see us as the fair weather fans we are. #CLASSY!!
Agreed! Great game early, great atmosphere as usual and congrats again to both teams going on to week 11. West is good and I wish them luck next week, but the Pirates are Great! #SOCCHAMPS🏆 ☠️GO BURG🏈
Last edited by Da_Burg on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reach Higher
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Hylander
JV Team

Post by Hylander »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:03 am Wonder where all the West posters are that said the Burg would never put a running clock on them?? At least have the decency to give the Burg their props for the win. They deserve that.
We've been here. 😂

Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:03 am Wonder where all the West posters are that said the Burg would never put a running clock on them?? At least have the decency to give the Burg their props for the win. They deserve that.
That’s not gonna happen man.. they didn’t wanna hear the truth throughout the last 4 weeks and 3 blocked topics lol. Their sure as hell not gonna do a 180 and admit they were wrong... we will either hear crickets... or excuses... and a lotta crow gettin chewed on!

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:07 pm Great job Pirates! If I've said it once I've said it 9 other times this year, this Burg team just flat wears the other team out. 9 running clocks this year and Jackson could have easily been 10. Burg too many weapons on offense (and this is with their best RB standing on the sidelines in Reyes). Defense is just nasty against the run. Don't think West had a run all night over 8 yards. Pass defense had that bend but don't break mentality. Take away that first play and West total yards had to be less than 150.

Anyone know what the personal foul penalty on Lowery in the 1st qtr was about???? That sideline ref on the Burg side was probably the worst I've ever seen.

Can anyone answer as to why on two Burg kickoffs the West runner stepped into the end zone and then brought the ball out? Once he touched the end zone isn't that a dead ball????

Good luck Burg and West next week in the second season. Could be a possible week 13 matchup
The personal foul was an illegal blind side block. That is a new rule this season. Basically the rule states that anytime a defender doesn't see the block coming, the blocker must use his open hands to block him. If he uses any other body part with force (shoulder, forearm, head, etc) then it is illegal.

Regarding the kick offs in the end zone, it is the position of the ball, not the player, that determines if it is a touchback. The player did step into the end zone but he caught the ball outside the end zone. Therefore it is not a touchback. The ball never touched the goal line.

By the way, that official on the Burg sideline is considered to be one of the best within officiating circles. He has worked several state finals. From my perspective, he did a phenomenal job tonight! The officiating crew was a very experienced and competent crew. They all have between 16 and 21 years of varsity officiating experience and all have officiated numerous playoff games. That's not to say that they didn't make mistakes, all officiating crews do, but they were well prepared and not intimidated by the pressure of the big game.
Last edited by gobengals on Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

gobengals wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:24 am

The personal foul was an illegal blind side block. That is a new rule this season. Basically the rule states that anytime a defender doesn't see the block coming, the blocker must use his open hands to block him. If he uses any other body part with force (shoulder, forearm, head, etc) then it is illegal.

Regarding the kick offs in the end zone, it is the position of the ball, not the player, that determines if it is a touchback. The player did step into the end zone but he caught the ball outside the end zone. Therefore it is not a touchback. The ball never touched the goal line.

By the way, that official on the Burg sideline is considered to be one of the best within officiating circles. He has worked several state finals. From my perspective, he did a phenomenal job tonight!
Officials were fine but anything but phenomenal. Picture evidence of the pass from west qb shows the official not looking at the QB who is about a whole yard out of bounds.

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:35 am

By the way, that official on the Burg sideline is considered to be one of the best within officiating circles. He has worked several state finals. From my perspective, he did a phenomenal job tonight!
Officials were fine but anything but phenomenal. Picture evidence of the pass from west qb shows the official not looking at the QB who is about a whole yard out of bounds.
I haven't seen any evidence so I can't refute what you say. But I will say this, if he wasn't looking at the QB then he was looking downfield. He has to do that because he has primary responsibility for watching the receiver. He is the only official who can rule whether or not the receiver caught the ball inbounds. The back judge is out in the middle of the field and cannot see the out of bounds play to make that call. This is one of those situations when having five officials is not enough. If there were seven officials, there would have been another downfield official who would have had responsibility for ruling on the receiver making the catch. The line judge that you referred to could have then stayed home to rule on the QB being in bounds or out of bounds. He may have missed the call but it was not due to incompetence on his part. It's just a matter of not being able to see everything that he needed to see.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

gobengals wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:52 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:35 am

I haven't seen any evidence so I can't refute what you say. But I will say this, if he wasn't looking at the QB then he was looking downfield. He has to do that because he has primary responsibility for watching the receiver. He is the only official who can rule whether or not the receiver caught the ball inbounds. The back judge is out in the middle of the field and cannot see the out of bounds play to make that call. This is one of those situations when having five officials is not enough. If there were seven officials, there would have been another downfield official who would have had responsibility for ruling on the receiver making the catch. The line judge that you referred to could have then stayed home to rule on the QB being in bounds or out of bounds. He may have missed the call but it was not due to incompetence on his part. It's just a matter of not being able to see everything that he needed to see.
Just curious what do you tell the coach in that situation if you really have know idea if he was out or in on the release?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

3 certainty's in life . Death , Tax's and official's who will defend other officials til death do them part. I like the excuse " he's not incompetent, He just couldn't see it ... :)

Return to “Football”