2017 Playoffs Wheelersburg 34 Johnstown Monroe 7

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: Johnstown Monroe v Wheelersburg

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

TravisHill22 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:26 pm If Wheelersburg and West Jeff win that game has to be @ Hamilton Township
How’s that? I’d say it will be right back in Chillicothe. If they didn’t put this game in HT they probably won’t put that one. The question is if Madison and Burg win.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

I am hoping for a hard fought Burg victory but to do that they will have to play mistake free ball and do not start out slow. JM IMO is the best team that Burg has faced this year the reason they run the ball so much is because they can. They dont have to throw but I do think they will try to catch Burg off gaurd and throw a little. I think this will be a close game and in the end Burg 28 to 14. It all comes down to can Burg stop the run? Can JM stop Burgs passing game ?

Burg grad 85
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

TravisHill22 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:25 pm Justice League comes out this weekend so a lot of people will be going to see it instead of going to football games

No self respecting football fan would miss this game to watch a fantasy movie based on a comic book. lol

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
14svt
JV Team

Post by 14svt »

scott1297 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:23 pm I am hoping for a hard fought Burg victory but to do that they will have to play mistake free ball and do not start out slow. JM IMO is the best team that Burg has faced this year the reason they run the ball so much is because they can. They dont have to throw but I do think they will try to catch Burg off gaurd and throw a little. I think this will be a close game and in the end Burg 28 to 14. It all comes down to can Burg stop the run? Can JM stop Burgs passing game ?
I still think Jtown d will disrupt burgs QB that will make him to scramble more to get rid of the ball Hopfully our linebackers and secondary’s can do there job

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

14svt wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:53 pm
scott1297 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:23 pm I am hoping for a hard fought Burg victory but to do that they will have to play mistake free ball and do not start out slow. JM IMO is the best team that Burg has faced this year the reason they run the ball so much is because they can. They dont have to throw but I do think they will try to catch Burg off gaurd and throw a little. I think this will be a close game and in the end Burg 28 to 14. It all comes down to can Burg stop the run? Can JM stop Burgs passing game ?
I still think Jtown d will disrupt burgs QB that will make him to scramble more to get rid of the ball Hopfully our linebackers and secondary’s can do there job
He’s better when he scrambles! Bring it!

14svt
JV Team

Post by 14svt »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:59 pm
Oh they will Big Boy

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

14svt wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 pm
BurgGrad6 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Oh they will Big Boy
Lmao.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:41 pm
TravisHill22 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:25 pm Justice League comes out this weekend so a lot of people will be going to see it instead of going to football games

No self respecting football fan would miss this game to watch a fantasy movie based on a comic book. lol
Lol right?

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

It all comes down to the line of scrimmage. For burg to stop the running game the front 6 have to win on the line of scrimmage and not make tackles 4-6 yards down the field. If Johnstown can get in. 3rd and 2 or 1. They will run it all night down our throat. Same holds try for burg offensively. If we can't give Trent time to throw it. It means we are scrambling and majoring wholesale adjustments and it may not work out so well this time Personally I think Wheelersburg has more success stopping the run than Johnstown has stopping the pass. This should be a good close game with burg winning. By 1-2 scores. But if it gets away from JM and they have to abandon the run to get back in it then it could snowball into 3-4 scores

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Burgs QB does throw a pretty accurate ball when on the run they design quite a few plays to roll him out of the pocket to throw the ball. Cant wait til game time its easy for us arm chair quartebacks to call the game lol but anything can happen thats why they play the game

Burg grad 85
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I do think Burg will throw the ball. But I’d say they will try to get the run game going out of the spread. Try to get some kids in space. Can’t wait to see what happens this week.

14svt
JV Team

Post by 14svt »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:03 pm I do think Burg will throw the ball. But I’d say they will try to get the run game going out of the spread. Try to get some kids in space. Can’t wait to see what happens this week.
Jtown has faced a couple teams that has used the spread,
Newark Catholic
Granville
Licking Heights.
Burg will be a lot better
Hopefully we won’t get blown out or the other way around
Hoping for a good game and No injuries.
I’m not predicting a score

14svt
JV Team

Post by 14svt »

From the Newark Advocate

JOHNSTOWN - Caden Calhoun was in fifth grade when he watched Matt Smith and Ross Franklin run the Johnnies to the program's only regional championship.

Calhoun now has his chance to take Johnstown back to the state semifinals. Johnstown's junior quarterback and classmate Bryce Barasch lead an offense with a similar look as the Johnnies near rareified air.
"You can't believe you are here because time flies," Calhoun said. "We were watching the older guys, and now that you are in the spot, you just have to maintain the position and do it correctly."
Johnstown (10-2) plays top-seeded Wheelersburg (12-0) at 7:30 p.m. for the Division V, Region 19 title at Chillicothe's Herrnstein Field. The Pirates are 12-0 for the third consecutive season and are in the regional finals for the fifth consecutive season.
ADVERTISING

The Johnnies have won nine consecutive games, a streak that coincided with Calhoun's move to quarterback. His 116 yards, many coming out of the option, in a 35-6 victory against Portsmouth West this past Friday sent him over the 1,000-yard mark the same night Barasch cleared 2,000 yards.
"No matter what I do, I have the rest of the blockers there. If they do their job and take care of their blocks, they are a big part in the option," Calhoun said. "If they don't do their part, it all fails. It's really just reading that one guy, and if I pitch it or run it, I just know everyone has my back."
While Cody Workman and Justin Franklin were attempting to drive Johnstown deep into the playoffs a season ago, Calhoun was one of the few underclassmen receiving varsity time as he played in the secondary. He noted the experience helped, but the pressure certainly has increased as he has moved into the spotlight.
Coach Mike Carter said Calhoun, however, has flawlessly handled it.
"There is no substitute for experience," Carter said. "Because he was comfortable with that level of play, it turned out to be a very smooth transition for him, moving from one side of the ball to the other. He was a leader as a sophomore on defense, and that leadership just blossomed over on to the offensive side.

"(The option) takes time and reps to have enough practice to be able to see it at that pace and be comfortable enough to learn to live with your decision," Carter added.
Johnstown's powerful running game certainly is just one piece. The Johnnies' improving defense is preparing for its biggest test since the first half of the season.
Wheelersburg used its running game, which includes three players with at least 300 yards rushing, to overcome a 13-0 halftime deficit against Columbus Academy this past Friday, but the Pirates often feature an aerial assault. Junior Trent Salyers has thrown for 2,928 yards and 30 touchdowns, and much of that production has gone to record-breaking classmate Tanner Holden, a 6-foot-6 Division I prospect.
Johnstown has faced a string of run-heavy offenses. The Johnnies, however, forced West to the air and made quarterback Dylan Bradford's life miserable with constant pressure from Josh Boso, Stew Davis, Jake Lusk and Nate Stone.

"We like doing that a lot," Lusk said. "We like to get after the quarterback and have fun."

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

I am expecting some major speed out of JM.
With all the talk on Rushing and speed, i think Burg will give up some yards and TD's

But if JM cant stop Burg's rush and cant contain Butter, then punch for punch Burg wins

Da_Burg
Freshman Team

Post by Da_Burg »

Oh my we are under 24 hrs until kickoff!! I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

Reach Higher
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
14svt
JV Team

Post by 14svt »

Neutron Man wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:25 pm I am expecting some major speed out of JM.
With all the talk on Rushing and speed, i think Burg will give up some yards and TD's

But if JM cant stop Burg's rush and cant contain Butter, then punch for punch Burg wins
Butter ?

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Yes. Butter..
Those who know Burg and Burgfan know all about Butter

Da_Burg
Freshman Team

Post by Da_Burg »

14svt wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:46 pm
Neutron Man wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:25 pm I am expecting some major speed out of JM.

Butter ?
You will know him come 7:30 PM tomorrow :lol:

Reach Higher
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Agreed!!!!!!!! Obviously I will watch it Saturday!!

Return to “Football”