Should Your School Be allowed to Recruit?????

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Re: Should Your School Be allowed to Recruit?????

Post by Beergoggleblues »

I was 100% against open enrollment and recruiting but having a son play and getting to know some kids I have backed off. To see good kids lose and lose it is heartbreaking to see. Seeing the disappointment on the face etc. I don't blame a kid for going somewhere to experience playoffs, winning season. There only young once let them be happy. But the other hand I believe in loyalty. Play where you live at. I'm torn on this.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:45 am I was 100% against open enrollment and recruiting but having a son play and getting to know some kids I have backed off. To see good kids lose and lose it is heartbreaking to see. Seeing the disappointment on the face etc. I don't blame a kid for going somewhere to experience playoffs, winning season. There only young once let them be happy. But the other hand I believe in loyalty. Play where you live at. I'm torn on this.
It doesn't really sound like your torn. You stated everything correctly then just finished with that little blurb at the end. So you'd make your kid become loyal to a team he no longer wants to play for??? I honestly don't believe the boundaries of loyalty get pushed until a kid decides they want to leave a good team for a team they feel will be better and possibly get farther in the playoffs. If you are playing for a team that is regularly 3-4 wins or lower and your a player that teams key off of the game doesn't really become very fun getting your teeth kicked in. So many kids come and go now a days that the rock solid term of "loyalty" is something of the past with older generation players, families, etc.

I believe ABE said it right schools don't have to go out and actively recruit it can be done by the product they are putting on the field and the facilities and education one can garner from going to one school over another.

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:54 pm
Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:45 am I was 100% against open enrollment and recruiting but having a son play and getting to know some kids I have backed off. To see good kids lose and lose it is heartbreaking to see. Seeing the disappointment on the face etc. I don't blame a kid for going somewhere to experience playoffs, winning season. There only young once let them be happy. But the other hand I believe in loyalty. Play where you live at. I'm torn on this.
It doesn't really sound like your torn. You stated everything correctly then just finished with that little blurb at the end. So you'd make your kid become loyal to a team he no longer wants to play for??? I honestly don't believe the boundaries of loyalty get pushed until a kid decides they want to leave a good team for a team they feel will be better and possibly get farther in the playoffs. If you are playing for a team that is regularly 3-4 wins or lower and your a player that teams key off of the game doesn't really become very fun getting your teeth kicked in. So many kids come and go now a days that the rock solid term of "loyalty" is something of the past with older generation players, families, etc.

I believe ABE said it right schools don't have to go out and actively recruit it can be done by the product they are putting on the field and the facilities and education one can garner from going to one school over another.
Your spot on with what you said. I'm with the kid doing what he wants and makes him happy

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

I know this is not ohio but I did have a couple friends play for fairview a few yrs ago when they made the state finals only to have that state runner up stripped b/c of recruiting. The coach used fake addresses just to get players from around the area to get to play for them.

I don't think recruiting per say should be allowed but I do think that a kid should be allowed to leave a school for another area school w/o being penalized with having go sit out some. I wouldn't want my kid to play for a team who only wins 2 or 3 games a yr. I'd want them to go to a school where they have a chance at winning and getting a scholarship

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Osu fan
Waterboy

Post by Osu fan »

I'm old school and liked how things were before open enrollment. I believe in going to school where you live and winning or losing with the kids you grow up with. Too easy for kids and parents nowadays to jump ship when things aren't easy. Not sure what that is teaching kids in the long run. And let's be honest, very few kids from SE Ohio get scholarships to play football regardless of how many games their high school team wins or loses

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Everyone should Netflix or watch it online the series "FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS".

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Free agent season is heating up and hearing some real good news for a local team !

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

If Burg adds Parker at running back, Boehm on the line, and Wilson at lb they repeat and that's unheard of around here.

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

I'll be really surprised if anyone moves. The Portsmouth kids are just talk. No way Boehm leaves. Parker I'm told buy the kids is just a rumor to spread around. None Portsmouth kids I know nothing about. I've been wrong but I seriously doubt any Portsmouth kid leaves

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 pm I'll be really surprised if anyone moves. The Portsmouth kids are just talk. No way Boehm leaves. Parker I'm told buy the kids is just a rumor to spread around. None Portsmouth kids I know nothing about. I've been wrong but I seriously doubt any Portsmouth kid leaves
Why wouldn't they leave? They lost the whole line except Boehm, the coach just up and quits on them, and they have no one to replace Kelly at QB. They will be lucky to compete with South Points 12 players. I hate it but it's a GD mess and wouldn't blame any of the kids for leaving.

B-ball-fan
Riding the Bench

Post by B-ball-fan »

I would be willing to bet a Ribber dinner that at least 1 of those kids go to Burg. I work with a very reliable source on this matter. It could very well be 2 of them. They are still working on it.

In youth we learn. In age we understand.
Pitstop Billy
Freshman Team

Post by Pitstop Billy »

You mean we arent supposed to be recruiting already?

JacksonMayor
Waterboy

Post by JacksonMayor »

yeah beacuse its a dang shame if a kid ever has to learn to deal with losing or not getting to play whatever position they want. A simple solution is to open two mega schools in ohio. Ohio North and Ohio South. Each school could have half a million kids. Then we could play each other ten times. Hope for a 5-5 record. Then we could an eleventh game that was the state championship. That way every kid in the state could be either the state champs or the state runnersup. Everybody feels good that way. Give em all a trophy and tell them all how great they are. sounds like a great plan to me. Plus now parents no longer have to go to the trouble of renting apartments in other towns.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

noreply66 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:55 am These days you can't tell where Pickerington ends and Reynoldsburg starts.

Needs to be called Pickinsburg.
Heard that Noreply. It's an over populated area in most spots. The homes are crammed in there like a sardine can. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

B-ball-fan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 am I would be willing to bet a Ribber dinner that at least 1 of those kids go to Burg. I work with a very reliable source on this matter. It could very well be 2 of them. They are still working on it.
If anyone leaves it will be a shock. I've heard talk but told by kids there just spreading rumors. We shall see I guess.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:03 pm
B-ball-fan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 am I would be willing to bet a Ribber dinner that at least 1 of those kids go to Burg. I work with a very reliable source on this matter. It could very well be 2 of them. They are still working on it.
If anyone leaves it will be a shock. I've heard talk but told by kids there just spreading rumors. We shall see I guess.
Even if these kids do come to Burg, playing time is not guaranteed. It’s earned week in and week out. They will have to put in the work. We will see how it all shakes out come week 1.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Lot of rumors going around.
If a player transfers open enrollment now, do they not have to sit out 50% of next year's games after they start 7th grade.

Some people think if they transfer now, they wouldn't have to sit next year but I thought that you had to sit 50% of all sports unless you live in the district?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Westfan wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 am Lot of rumors going around.
If a player transfers open enrollment now, do they not have to sit out 50% of next year's games after they start 7th grade.

Some people think if they transfer now, they wouldn't have to sit next year but I thought that you had to sit 50% of all sports unless you live in the district?
Essentially, yes. But there's all kinds of loopholes around it.

By moving residences inside the new school district TYPICALLY the student won't have to sit out. If they are afraid they still would have to, they can even pull the card of "I was bullied at my last school" and that can get them automatically eligible. Not trying to poke fun at bullying, obviously in many cases this is a good part added into the transfer bylaw, but there's also a way to take advantage of it.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

Junior high kids are not affected by this rule. You have to establish yourself as a freshmen before this rule applies.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Nut wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:21 pm If Burg adds Parker at running back, Boehm on the line, and Wilson at lb they repeat and that's unheard of around here.
Where is the Wilson kid from?

Return to “Football”