2018 Portsmouth Trojans Football Outlook

BurgGrad6
SE

Re: Who will take over in Portsmouth

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Just my 2 cents. Cadogen shouldn’t get this job.... Portsmouth needs a full sweep of the staff.. no daddies or former players. Go outside and find a fresh young hungry coach.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:59 pm I am 99.9% sure it will be cadogen. The job is not posted anywhere which to me means it will be filled in house. Hopefully he or whoever sees the offense they run is not working. Handoff, qb left, qb right. Conditioning is a must. Give every kid a chance. Just because there new doesn't mean they will not be good. J.v needs games every week. Half of them were cancelled last year. That's where kids learn. The team needs to be the coaches team not the "seniors". I heard that term last year numerous times. It needs to be his way or the highway. Weight room is a must. Get them in asap. Offensive play caller has to go. I could go on and on. I heard Dec 15 everything will be announced.
by your logic urban meyer shouldn't be head coach at osu, not saying I don't disagree

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

91blue14 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:57 pm
Beergoggleblues wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:59 pm I am 99.9% sure it will be cadogen. The job is not posted anywhere which to me means it will be filled in house. Hopefully he or whoever sees the offense they run is not working. Handoff, qb left, qb right. Conditioning is a must. Give every kid a chance. Just because there new doesn't mean they will not be good. J.v needs games every week. Half of them were cancelled last year. That's where kids learn. The team needs to be the coaches team not the "seniors". I heard that term last year numerous times. It needs to be his way or the highway. Weight room is a must. Get them in asap. Offensive play caller has to go. I could go on and on. I heard Dec 15 everything will be announced.
by your logic urban meyer shouldn't be head coach at osu, not saying I don't disagree
I don't see how the Portsmouth job is in any way similar to osu. No one tells Urban how to run the team.

Urban has a national championship and multiple big ten championships. Portsmouth can't even win the OVC.

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

Just heard today that it's not Cadogen that Kalb is wanting the job. Lol the one who called the plays last year. Smdh

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Post by Beergoggleblues »

Nut wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 pm Just heard today that it's not Cadogen that Kalb is wanting the job. Lol the one who called the plays last year. Smdh
Oh dear god. I hope that's a rumor.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pm
Nut wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 pm Just heard today that it's not Cadogen that Kalb is wanting the job. Lol the one who called the plays last year. Smdh
Oh dear god. I hope that's a rumor.
Talk about two steps backward if that is true.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

Our county needs Portsmouth to be strong in Athletics. I follow the program very closely and I’ve noticed one glaring thing the program lacks and that’s exactly what my username is TOUGHNESS! Physically and mentally we continue to put a product on the field that lacks that. Our off season weight program is one of the worst in the county. I’ve heard a couple of names being thrown around and one was very intriguing. I’ve heard that Trevon Pendelton was interested in the job. I think he may be a perfect guy for the job. He’s young and he’s learned football at the highest level plus he’s not connected to all the guys that’s currently here. I feel he would bring in his own guys and they would learn football at a different level. Plus I’ve heard he does his own training by owning a facility so you know he’s dedicated to the weight room. I noticed he and his brother were added to the staff over on the West side along with Todd Gilliland and you could tell a difference in thatprogram this year compared to the last few. Not many go from 3-7 to 10-2 and winning a playoff game in a year. Looks an awfully lot like those guys had a lot to do with that success over there. Perfect guy who’s young and doesn’t look to need a job teaching and has learned the game away from good ole Scioto county.

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

TOUGH wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:29 pm Our county needs Portsmouth to be strong in Athletics. I follow the program very closely and I’ve noticed one glaring thing the program lacks and that’s exactly what my username is TOUGHNESS! Physically and mentally we continue to put a product on the field that lacks that. Our off season weight program is one of the worst in the county. I’ve heard a couple of names being thrown around and one was very intriguing. I’ve heard that Trevon Pendelton was interested in the job. I think he may be a perfect guy for the job. He’s young and he’s learned football at the highest level plus he’s not connected to all the guys that’s currently here. I feel he would bring in his own guys and they would learn football at a different level. Plus I’ve heard he does his own training by owning a facility so you know he’s dedicated to the weight room. I noticed he and his brother were added to the staff over on the West side along with Todd Gilliland and you could tell a difference in thatprogram this year compared to the last few. Not many go from 3-7 to 10-2 and winning a playoff game in a year. Looks an awfully lot like those guys had a lot to do with that success over there. Perfect guy who’s young and doesn’t look to need a job teaching and has learned the game away from good ole Scioto county.
I totally agree they lack toughness that starts with the coaches. I can't see Trevon taking the job but if it would happen he would make them tough. Hell I don't think the jobs been listed so I'd say another inside hire. Hopefully I'm wrong

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

We need to take a page out of Coal Groves book and go get us a fiery young coach. Ferguson took over a program and in first year had one of the most successful seasons in that schools history. These young guys can coach. The Pendleton’s, Tom Kaskey, Crabtree’s son, luke Keller, Jeremy Frazie and so on. The game has changed and these guys have been taught the game from a younger generation perspective and relating to players is different these days. We mush get a young outside guy that can rally the program and get them back to playing a physcial brand of football with offensive and defensive innovation.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

wow, very interesting, I am a long time Trojan supporter,As a supporter I try to never degrade or speak publically about the coaches or the athletes, I always support, that being said I love the Idea of a good young, speed and strength football coach, Treven Pendleton would be a great hire!

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

I know the Pendleton's well.
They have a good thing going where they are and they are very close to a former Trojan coach. They aren't interested in that mess imo.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Oak wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:43 am I know the Pendleton's well.
They have a good thing going where they are and they are very close to a former Trojan coach. They aren't interested in that mess imo.
Agreed, they know exactly what is brewing in P-Town. Still think it will remain in-house because of the lack of funding to truly go outside the area and bring someone in.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

I’ve heard from a reliable source there is some mutual interest in Pendleton. I heard a lot of Portsmouth kids are training with him this off season and they want him as the coach. Someone of his pedigree could change this program. Let’s face it, Portsmouth had better athletes than the all of the teams they played this year. From an athletic standpoint, Portsmouth isn’t lacking as much as people think. Where they lack is conditioning, toughness, pride. Those things can be fixed with the right hire.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

TOUGH wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 am I’ve heard from a reliable source there is some mutual interest in Pendleton. I heard a lot of Portsmouth kids are training with him this off season and they want him as the coach. Someone of his pedigree could change this program. Let’s face it, Portsmouth had better athletes than the all of the teams they played this year. From an athletic standpoint, Portsmouth isn’t lacking as much as people think. Where they lack is conditioning, toughness, pride. Those things can be fixed with the right hire.
West is working on some stuff right now that will greatly improve our facilities and athletic training programs. Jared and Trevon are heavily involved in it. They aren't going anywhere

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

What are the plans?

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

If they ever want to be a head coach and run their own program they are going to have to leave. Coach Johnson was just a recent hire and is a young guy himself. I heard he bought a house and moved down here permanently. Sounds like he’s here to stay. Nothing would surprise me with our job. I think we can offer a coach a lot more than most think. We have one of the highest supplemental contracts for coaches in the area. We also have the best facilities in the area besides Jackson. Between stadium, locker room and weight room our setup is that of a small college. I also know we pay a lot more assistants than many of the teams in the area. Heck, we had like 13 coaches on sidelines this past season. Plus the administration has started going to the younger generation for coaches. Look at the recent hires of other varsity coaches. I think this would be the perfect hire. Hopefully Portsmouth goes after him. West already has their coach in Johnson

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

As long as any of their assistant coaches remain on staff, then Portsmouth will remain to be a dumpster fire.

Whether the coach be Clifford, Sparks, or Duncan - on thing has remained constant: the coaching staff.

Portsmouth is beyond stuck in the good ole boy system. They need a clean slate of coaches, all the way through. They are so stuck on their head guy and staff being a "true trojan".

"Well this guy was a good lineman on our 6-4 team in the 90's! He's a true trojan! We have to keep him!"

Gene Collins is the only guy who has been able to have true, sustained success.

Portsmouth is so fixated on "beating the burg!". Well, let's take a look at Wheelersburg coaches?
Football - Coach is from Gallia Academy
Basketball - Coach is from Chesapeake
Baseball - Coach is from Portsmouth

Does hiring a guy from a different school district always equal success? Of course not. However, being fixated with having "true trojans!" on your coaching staff because they played for the almighty Trojans is beyond incredibly dumb.

Although this is football, Portsmouth's baseball program is a perfect example. They had two incredible chances to build a respectable baseball program when they had Dave Shoupe and Matt Roy. Each was never given a true chance to succeed. Shoupe was fired so that Doug Poage could come back as the king of the program for his son, while Coach Roy was treated like dirt - each was not a "true trojan".

Rant over.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

CharlieHustle wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am As long as any of their assistant coaches remain on staff, then Portsmouth will remain to be a dumpster fire.

Whether the coach be Clifford, Sparks, or Duncan - on thing has remained constant: the coaching staff.

Portsmouth is beyond stuck in the good ole boy system. They need a clean slate of coaches, all the way through. They are so stuck on their head guy and staff being a "true trojan".

"Well this guy was a good lineman on our 6-4 team in the 90's! He's a true trojan! We have to keep him!"

Gene Collins is the only guy who has been able to have true, sustained success.

Portsmouth is so fixated on "beating the burg!". Well, let's take a look at Wheelersburg coaches?
Football - Coach is from Gallia Academy
Basketball - Coach is from Chesapeake
Baseball - Coach is from Portsmouth

Does hiring a guy from a different school district always equal success? Of course not. However, being fixated with having "true trojans!" on your coaching staff because they played for the almighty Trojans is beyond incredibly dumb.

Although this is football, Portsmouth's baseball program is a perfect example. They had two incredible chances to build a respectable baseball program when they had Dave Shoupe and Matt Roy. Each was never given a true chance to succeed. Shoupe was fired so that Doug Poage could come back as the king of the program for his son, while Coach Roy was treated like dirt - each was not a "true trojan".

Rant over.
[/quote

Completely agree!!!

Go get someone young and energetic that’s learned football away from here. Let him bring in his own staff. That’s a big reason I hope they go after Pendleton. I think he would have the ability to bring in his own staff. Not many coaches around here have that capability plus I don’t think he needs a teaching job. And we currently don’t have any openings. Tired of spending tax dollars creating jobs for people.

14U
S

Re: Portsmouth Football Coach

Post by 14U »

trojandave wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:29 pm Here is a big difference between the football program at Portsmouth and the boys basketball program. Since Eugene Collins took over in 2010 as the varsity boys basketball coach, in this his 9th season, PHS will have had 4 football coaches, including this new hire. 35-65 record over the last 10 years, with no playoff appearances. Basketball, meanwhile, under Collins tenure, has a record of 139-56, with 2 Final 4's, a state runnerup, a regional runnerup, a district runnerup, and 5 sectional titles.

Two sports that are in the same school, but a world apart in terms of success. Stability is very important in the development of a winning program, and in basketball the Trojans have it.

Portsmouth98: Great stats, which reinforces what I've been saying for a long time........until the Trojans get a championship caliber defense back in the program, a prolific offense will mean very little. Trying to outscore teams just won't get it done. Wheelersburg won the state title with defense as their strength. Portsmouth football can come back, but it won't be easy to change the current culture.

Boys basketball at Portsmouth was 100-121 from 2000-2009, the worst decade in PHS history. But Coach Collins completely turned that losing culture around. The same can happen in football.

Big difference between the 2 sports. Basketball is 5 players and need 3 to come off bench which Portsmouth has that. Football 11 on both sides and it’s nice to go one way like burg with 89-93 players for small school. I went to watch phs and they go both ways and that takes it out of a player. Players need a breather because by 4th quarter ur done on empty. Basketball there are a lot of breaks to get ur breathe for ur stud player or players, where football u don’t have that, unless there is an injury timeout. Phs basketball doesn’t play the big boys like the use too and that’s the difference in the decades win loses. Phs has it easier these days in basketball playing local or closer schools that are smaller school. Josh Matiz in one year did a great job and big turn around on defense. I mean u take a team that was giving up avg of 35 points in last 8-10 years a game and in one year that dropped to 20? Josh did what he went there for to change the defense. I think if he stays (don’t know what he is doing)that that defense will get better and drop points again. I seen a big difference with tackle, switching sets, pass rush and coverage. Nothing is built overnight and if he had the time defense was showing progress and getting better because like u said defense wins championship, the offense brings the crowd. I do know the playbook wasn’t the best and needed to be retired but i hope it is now with a new coach after Duncan resigning, I guess we all hope that to be the case!! Gene came in and is doing a great job for ptown and hope they find a football coach to do the same but it’s not going to happen overnight. I hope Portsmouth gives the next hire up to 3 years to see his progress before fans come down hard on whoever it is. Football is a different sport that if u come into a program that not been doing well 500 ball, it will take 3 years to get things rolling. Coaches that come in and go 8-2, 9-1 playoffs first year or 2 came in the program that wasn’t hurting like PHS.being a old Trojan I wish them the best year in and year out in both football And basketball. U have saw me at both. Do u know if they’re going out of house or keeping it in house hire? If I was ptown I would clean house and bring in new blood from out of house but that coach needs to have good resume and coached in Ohio or a football State. look at West, Burg and Racelad Ky all went out of house and having great seasons and or records. For example: Minford had a hire out of house but ask him about the assistants coaches he said he had his own coming with him, minford said they had them there and didn’t need his, so they didn’t hire that coach guess what 4-6 because they couldn’t let go of friends, relatives or guys that played at minford Bet they wish they would had done it know!! I like to see phs football get back to winning ways for community, old Trojans, fans, the school and the area. Football has and is going down in scioto county with Burg leading the way, West and put East in for wins but not against any good teams. I see ur Trojan Ballers are doing fine again this year with for once some height on team and bench. Good Luck this year and I will come watch a few games and go to tourney time!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I said it on another thread......if the administration does not make the right hire, there will be serious consequences which will set this program back even further than what has transpired over the past 10 years. Not only is it imperative to make the right hire, but it is also of critical importance that the new hire is willing to stay for an extended period of time. Instability has been the hallmark of Portsmouth football, with this being our 4th head coach in 7 years, compared to 1 basketball coach (Eugene Collins) for the last 8+ years. We can't keep going through coaches like a glass of water and expect a quality football program.

GO TROJANS!!!

Return to “Football”