2018 Ironton Fighting Tigers The Pendleton Era

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: 2018 Ironton Fighting Tigers The Pendleton Era

Post by wobycat »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:56 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 pm Salyers is Ironton's best home run threat. Which raises the question, is he better suited outside the QB position? I know some believe your best athlete usually should be put in that position, but wonder if he would be better in the tail back position.
He was invited to the Elite 100 showcase in Columbus on the 3rd of June, and was named a top 5 QB there, that got him invited to
VTO SPORTS ALL AMERICAN Showcase in North Carolina at the end of June and first of July.
So? There are of plenty of athletes that have changed positions. If he was still at burg, he would probably would have had to wait until next year before playing QB. I’ve seen plenty of QBs play another position in college. It’s not far fetched. They tried him in the spread last year and I think teams started bottling him up. I don’t foresee him not playing that position, but to me, it’s a thought.

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:48 pm Salyers isn't going anywhere. He's the best player Ironton has....
Yes he is a fantastic player and the all around best player. But Ironton has several players that are are great players and will be a huge force this season. Duncan and Carrico are two off the top of my head that I know will be exciting too watch.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

It appears that Ironton is now in a different region than Wheelersburg and the SOC teams. Portsmouth is now also in a different region than Ironton.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that's crazy.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

good things to come

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Division 5 region breakdown is a little strange. I am not sure what they were trying to accomplish but it is what it is.

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Frogtownbuckeye »

Carrico, Fosson, and Duncan may be the backs. If Grizzle is healthy he and Thomas will provide a couple of good targets to throw to. If Ethan Wilson plays he provides another long, athletic WR as well as possibly Barnes. The athletes are there, just need to develop some linemen.

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Charlie Large is reportedly playing as well. He and Wilson would be nice targets to throw to if they play. I’m sure that this staff and kids will strongly encourage those young men to play.

Senior John Higgins has nice speed and saw a lot of minutes last year. He settled in at a CB the last half of the season. Perhaps he can also factor in at the WR slot.

Hunter Humphreys, a 3 year starter and Brady Rowe, a 2 year starter, have to lead the effort on the offensive line. White should factor in somewhere but two O-line slots are definitely wide open. The off-season transfers of Topping and Rowe will hurt more than the young un’ who went to Scioto County.

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

Half Slice wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:45 pm Charlie Large is reportedly playing as well. He and Wilson would be nice targets to throw to if they play. I’m sure that this staff and kids will strongly encourage those young men to play.

Senior John Higgins has nice speed and saw a lot of minutes last year. He settled in at a CB the last half of the season. Perhaps he can also factor in at the WR slot.

Hunter Humphreys, a 3 year starter and Brady Rowe, a 2 year starter, have to lead the effort on the offensive line. White should factor in somewhere but two O-line slots are definitely wide open. The off-season transfers of Topping and Rowe will hurt more than the young un’ who went to Scioto County.
All true! Ironton has the athletes. I forgot about Higgins. I think Humphreys and Duncan are 3 year starters coming in as Seniors. It definitely hurt losing Toppings and Rowe, but the show must go on. The coach will get the boys in the right positions.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I don't know any of the young'uns now hardly.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Gone Country
Waterboy

Post by Gone Country »

Now down to dropping kids names on here in the ongoing mission to stay in the conversation and be relevant. Regardless, there are 2 months til show time. Tic Tic Tic

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Half Slice wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:45 pm Charlie Large is reportedly playing as well. He and Wilson would be nice targets to throw to if they play. I’m sure that this staff and kids will strongly encourage those young men to play.

Large has some good speed that should help.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

Amazing how many dads are on here , this kid is great that kid is great trying to promote their own kids

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Kutty

Admittedly there are no talents like Ken Fritz, Dennis Bacon, or Delandual Conwell walking the halls of Ironton currently.

Tigers are coming off a tough injury plagued campaign. We have a new staff full of enthusiasm that have the kids working hard and building excitement in the community.

My question for you is what would constitute a successful season for this team? I’m sure most people would be interested to see what you see as a reasonable measuring stick for success.

I personally want to see the following:
1. Discipline
2. Consistent effort and fundamentals
3. An identifiable offensive philosophy.
4. Grow as a team and reestablish a culture of pride.
5. Get alumni involved

These things don’t guarantee wins but are vital to get where the program wants to go. There is enough talent in place barring injury to compete with most everyone on the schedule. Ashland and Wheelersburg are tall tasks for anyone in the area.

Work hard Tigers and good things will happen.
Last edited by Half Slice on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I will take that 5 in the same order!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Half Slice wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 pm Kutty

Admittedly there are no talents like Ken Fritz, Dennis Bacon, or Delandual Conwell walking the halls of Ironton currently.

Tigers are coming off a tough injury plagued campaign. We have a new staff full of enthusiasm that has the kids working hard and building excitement in the community.

My question for you is what would constitute a successful season for this team? I’m sure most people would be interested to see what you see as a reasonable measuring stick for success.

1. Discipline
5. Get alumni involved

These things don’t guarantee wins but are vital to get where the program wants to go. There is enough talent in place barring injury to compete with most everyone on the schedule. Ashland and Wheelersburg are tall tasks for anyone in the area.

I believe Ironton's difficulty will be fatigue. Most all of the names mentioned above will have to play both ways. I know salyers, duncan, and fosson, played a lot of reps last year, and will have to continue this year as well. They have talent in places but the depth is a little short. I can see a 7-3 season, they can be noted as one of the best team in the ovc. Gallia may present a problem.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

KUTTY800 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:05 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Tigers are coming off a tough injury plagued campaign. We have a new staff full of enthusiasm that has the kids working hard and building excitement in the community.

1. Discipline
5. Get alumni involved

I believe Ironton's difficulty will be fatigue. Most all of the names mentioned above will have to play both ways. I know salyers, duncan, and fosson, played a lot of reps last year, and will have to continue this year as well. They have talent in places but the depth is a little short. I can see a 7-3 season, they can be noted as one of the best team in the ovc. Gallia may present a problem.
Yup. Depth I would say will continue to be an issue. The school enrollment is not going to increase anytime soon. Matter of fact it will decrease more.
Trimble is D7 and gets close to 50 kids to play football. Nelsonville-York is D6 and has over 50....
Ironton can do the same.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Logan is D2 and is lucky to get 50 and some change these days. :(

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

KUTTY800 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:26 pm The thing is how does "we can get 50" measure when compared to an enrollment that IS ACTIVELY in decline?

One is certainty. One is optimistic speculation.

Is there anything tangible to hang the hat on that is not founded in just general optimism?
My point is that if smaller schools can get those numbers out to play and depth isn't a problem for them then Ironton can as well.
You are obsessed with "but they are shrinking", well pretty much all of our schools are. No one is begging to move into Southeastern Ohio.
Most of the teams they play they will have pretty much the same amount of kids on each sideline.

Now if you wanna talk about developing depth at individual positions, then we have a conversation.
New head coach but he does have experience on his staff so I can't see why they can't.

I don't think anyone really believes Ironton will be a state power again, but that's okay.

Now I don't know why or really care why you wanna crap on the fans who are excited about the possibility of turning things around again at Ironton, but at least have an intelligent argument.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

KUTTY800 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:02 pm

1. Discipline
5. Get alumni involved

I don't dispute any of those expectations on the list - all positives and for all intents and purposes - necessity. Also one of the more realistic lists of expectations I have read thus far.
That said however, my question I guess is directed more at the assumption that the new staff in place will somehow transform a small team from a small and continually decreasing school and community - into some sort of quasi throwback powerhouse when the truth of the matter is any success will likely be founded more in the building stage - per your own assesment, as opposed to the 180 degree transformation that - in my opinion - too many fans are already asserting. I would even go as far as to insert that as Irontons high schools enrollment continues to decrease - success in sports will likely come in significantly decreased intervals and "smaller" forms. There are just certain variables that cannot be outcoached and the reason Ironton does not have a Fritz or a Conwell roaming their halls anymore is the same reason why their enrollment continues to decrease. The town and the school are just NOT the same. Hopefully the fan base can learn to embrace change and bring a realistic set of expectations as well.

Secondly - I understand the coaching staff has aroused anticipation - thats what change is supposed to do - but I do question with basically average talent and limited depth and no real speed or size on the roster - what actual EVIDENCE exists that support the assertion that this staff will make any significant improvement from last season?

Also wonder how significant an OVC win really is in the grand scheme of things? Its arguably the softest and one of the least talented conferences in the state. Does a win over a Coal Grove or a Gallia really mean anything at all?

I mean - if we are basically resigning to the fact that Ironton cannot match up with the elites on their schedule ( burg/ashland) and if we are realistic and acknowledge a big reason why they cannot is because their talent pool had diminished as their enrollment continues to also diminish - what from an X's and O's standpoint is this already highly celebrated coaching staff going to do that overcomes that decline? From an evidentiary standpoint I dont see nor have I read anything tangible.

Kutty,

I understand some of your arguments and how your are trying to wrap your head around the program doing a complete 180 while only changing the coaching staff.

I will start this by saying the best players Ironton had last year we’re younger kids who we have talked about are all back. Our best athletes are all coming back a year older and stronger while many of the teams we play lost quite a bit to graduation including Wheelersburg and Ashland. The guys we lost are much easier to replace in my opinion.

Talking to a few people around the program and a couple players and each have said the same thing. Coach Pendleton’s program is the toughest training regimen they have ever seen (including Coach lutz). Hearing it’s as close to college ball you can get at the high school level. From a physical standpoint Ironton will be a lot different. The weight room and conditioning program has been non existent last few years. Also hearing the discipline has completely changed. Yes sir, no sir.. workman’s like approach.

There’s also no doubt the population of Ironton has shrunk over the years but it’s STILL double the size as Wheelersburg as far as population. Ironton ya enrollment started to fall drastically around 10-15 years ago when Lutz was at the end of a great career and the Football program started to slide. Let’s face it, sports is what drives enrollment in Southern Ohio. If you put a good product on the field your enrollment will increase. There are no Harvard’s in Southern Ohio where all the smart kids move too. If you have strong athletics chances are your academics will get stronger because of the current culture of our area. Schools like Maria Stein and Coldwater are smaller enrollments than us and they have great programs. These schools aren’t exactly in thriving metropolitan areas. They are small farming communities very similar to what we have. They just squeeze every ounce out of their athletes and their programs. If we start to change the culture within our program you will see us make a strong return to prominence. The reason is we still have a tradition that is unmatched by any school in Southeastern Ohio. I know that was in the past but if it’s as good as I’m hearing as far as the leadership and direction than it won’ be long and we will make a return. People love to talk about the past and all they hear about is the tradition here. We hired possibly the youngest coach in the state that has done what most of these kids dream about. From all the reports he and the staff do a fanstastic job relating to the kids while pushing them to their limit everyday. They already respect him and he’s yet to even coach a down of football here.
Last edited by TOUGH on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”