Wheelersburg 28 Ironton 6

fbnut
SEOP

Re: WK1 2018 Ironton @ Wheelersburg

Post by fbnut »

Waterboy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:33 pm Just listening to this game as an outsider. Ironton is getting screwed from the refs 1 call on the burg .
I wasn’t listening I was there watching but I thought the refs called a pretty good game

TigersGameDayFan
JV Team

Post by TigersGameDayFan »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:25 pm
TigersGameDayFan wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:23 pm Great team effort overall by Ironton. It’s good to see a little FIGHT back in the Tigers.

Both teams were cramping. First gameeeeee! HA HA!

Should be a good year for both teams.

Let’s make a deal and meet up In the playoffs?
Ooooooo. A state semifinals matchup would be a classic for the ages.

Would be awesome for the area!

T-I-G-E-R-S
Burgball#1
Freshman Team

Post by Burgball#1 »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:19 pm A couple things to take away from this game... 1. Ironton has improved drastically! 2. Burg has a lot of work to do before next Friday!!
Agree 100%, quit giving the ball to our backs that's not getting it done. Play calling was suspect at times. We have a lot to work on. #28 from ironton was probably the best athlete on the field tonight, ran really hard. Go Burg!!!

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

My take, Ironton improved greatly , Burg regressed ,I think the SOC is wide open for the taking

Burgball#1
Freshman Team

Post by Burgball#1 »

I believe if we go to Columbus playing like we did today, it's going to be a long ride home. One player coming back next week is not going to make that kind of difference. We need to step up our game.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Burgball#1 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:43 pm
BurgGrad6 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:19 pm A couple things to take away from this game... 1. Ironton has improved drastically! 2. Burg has a lot of work to do before next Friday!!
Agree 100%, quit giving the ball to our backs that's not getting it done. Play calling was suspect at times. We have a lot to work on. #28 from ironton was probably the best athlete on the field tonight, ran really hard. Go Burg!!!
Not sure we have any backs that could have gotten it done tonight with that blocking

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

Final stats?

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Wheelersburg 28 Ironton 6

Post by mattash »

Wheelersburg 28 Ironton 6 can someone please post box scores with stats

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

callie15 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:44 pm My take, Ironton improved greatly , Burg regressed ,I think the SOC is wide open for the taking
Uh....no! Burg wasn’t very crisp tonight and they were a Hail Mary away from holding ironton scoreless on offense. And I think ironton has a pretty decent offense. The difference was they weren’t ready for irontons defense. Those guys were hitting burg in the mouth pretty good.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

After some time to reflect... the burg’s FB video stream of the game was awesome. Very well done for first time out. Listening to the announcers, burg sounds like they have a far superior athletic mix of sports for kids to engage in. I have been in Orlando for 21-years, so I could be wrong and perhaps IHS has soccer, a world little league girls softball team, but IDTSO. PLEASE corrrct me if I’m wrong!

I will stand by my statement on here last year and my email to LaFon the same day of :”PLEASE GET A NEW FB COACH IMMEDIATELY, PLEASE?

Pendleton has marked his territory and that grass is no longer green, but is a very, very, very, orange, bright orange! SO bright, it’s STENCHY!

It may take a minute or two, but those tigers are growling to hear the whistle blow and “GET @ it!

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

I also thought it was illegal to drink on school property. Had a guy ask me from Burg if i wanted a beer. Lol This is high school football

Kaylns dad
Waterboy

Post by Kaylns dad »

Ironton has improved a lot. Take away the first couple a minutes and its 14 - 6. Dropped pass in endzone makes it's closer. Burg is the better team but tigers held their own. 1st game but burg was not dominating lines. Carrico ran hard for ironton. Until last drive burg could not run. Like what I saw from tigers.

TigersGameDayFan
JV Team

Post by TigersGameDayFan »

tomcat wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:34 pm I also thought it was illegal to drink on school property. Had a guy ask me from Burg if i wanted a beer. Lol This is high school football

I’m not sure where you’re from but Im guessing 90% of the schools in America who have a high school football team have fans who drink a few beers before the game.

T-I-G-E-R-S
Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Kaylns dad wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:59 pm Ironton has improved a lot. Take away the first couple a minutes and its 14 - 6. Dropped pass in endzone makes it's closer. Burg is the better team but tigers held their own. 1st game but burg was not dominating lines. Carrico ran hard for ironton. Until last drive burg could not run. Like what I saw from tigers.
Also Ironton could have scored there at the end (4th and goal), but came up 1 yard short.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Otto wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:14 am
Kaylns dad wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:59 pm Ironton has improved a lot. Take away the first couple a minutes and its 14 - 6. Dropped pass in endzone makes it's closer. Burg is the better team but tigers held their own. 1st game but burg was not dominating lines. Carrico ran hard for ironton. Until last drive burg could not run. Like what I saw from tigers.
Also Ironton could have scored there at the end (4th and goal), but came up 1 yard short.
Yeah and Burg could have scored at the end of the game as well. Also, if a frog had wings, well you know the rest.

Great game by both teams tonight. A semifinal rematch would be huge if these two met again.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:19 pm
Waterboy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:04 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:36 pm

It’s one thing to be dumb, but don’t be an idiot. All calls have been legit. You can see it through your radio. But if you’d like to watch, go the wheelersburg FB page. It’s live.
What ? No running clock ? Holy cow ? I think the Wheelersburg era has come to an end cause they didn’t put a running clock on Ironton. . Call me an idiot, but I’m pretty sure you are a crow eater mr. jolly. Yes you won but it was closer than you expected.
😂🤣 Your petty attempts are just that. Ain’t nobody butt hurt on this side. A W is a W.

Burg came out swinging. It looked as tho Burg would just run away with the game. Ironton has different plans. Their defense stiffened up and looked rather impressive. Trent Salyers missed a few passes long that could have been daggers. Ironton didn’t let up. They played a solid defensive game. Irontons Salyers had to run for his life most of the night and took a few big hits. But he kept popping back up. Ironton had a stroke of luck in the closing seconds of the first half. Not taking credit away. The kid was there. It’s just that a play like that is successful .05% of the time. Burg has quite a few things to work on before next week. As does Ironton. I felt like Burg wasn’t engaged completely. There were those who were. But they just seemed slow. Ironton on the other hand was relentless. They moved the ball well on the ground. I think they need to keep it there. The trap was working to perfection on the last drive they had. But in the end, Burg came out on top. They fought all night. They had to earn this one.

With all that being said, I think Ironton has restored the Fight in the Fighting Tigers.
Good assessment. I was lucky enough to catch this game.

Ironton is MUCH improved. They were relentless, much better conditioned and stronger/tougher than years past. Pendleton has them headed in the right direction.

Starting the season off against the defending state champs isnt easy for a 1st year coach. I think the effort his players gave without ever giving up says it all. Good showing by the Tigers.

I wouldn't doubt if this Ironton team is much improved by the end of the season.

Burg is very athletic and fast. Holden is a monster to defend. One big area that Burg won all night was through Burgs D line. They are physical but also quick. Ironton's O line struggled to execute their blocking schemes all night due to how good Burg is up front defensively.

I'm not sure that Ironton has found their identity on offense yet. Give them the next 5 or 6 more games to get it ironed out and they will be a handful.

It was a hard fought game and I'm glad to have taken this one in, but I'm slightly upset that I didnt nail that split the pot tonight. It had to be a small fortune!

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

Proud of Ironton they look great. They kept Holden in check crushed Burgs running game. Offense they have to improve but Pendleton has changed the atmosphere he's legit and the boys responded. Many sophomores made big contributions and Ironton is in the right direction.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

tomcat wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:34 pm I also thought it was illegal to drink on school property. Had a guy ask me from Burg if i wanted a beer. Lol This is high school football
Far from a Burg fan here . About the opposite in seriousness. But people at a lot of places drink beer at games . Been happening for a long time

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Transparent
Waterboy

Post by Transparent »

Pendelton has these guys heading in right direction. Much improved from past coach. What was his name???

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Ironton fans should be proud of the way their team played last night. They have improved greatly and Pendleton had them ready to play. Now let's not get carried away and say if not for this it's 14-6 or if we score on the 1st an goal from the 5 etc. not counting the Hail Mary ironton didn't cross the wheelersburg 30 all night. It was in fact a dominating night for the burg defense. The carrico kid is a beast. But it's a long season. I am not sure how long a sophomore lasts carrying the ball 30 + time a night and then being asked to play defense too. The tigers need to spread it around some I they can. I thought burg play calling was just a little better than bad most of the night. No patience We went for the big plays all night instead of taking what the defense was giving us good luck to ironton the rest of the way. I hope we can meet again in the state semi s but both teams have a bunch of work to do before we get to that point

Return to “Football”