Article:Caldwell 38 Reedsville Eastern 6

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Article:Caldwell 38 Reedsville Eastern 6

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Last night I made the drive to the Noble County Fairgrounds to watch the hometown Caldwell Redskins(0-1) battle the Eastern Eagles(0-1) in a game played in front of very large and at times vocal crowd. All of the fans are packed on the same side of the field under the roof, with poles blocking the view, but overall this is a good venue to catch a game. The biggest downfall to the setup is the fact they allowed smoking in the stands and it smelled as bad as anything in this world.

Now lets get to the game, that was played in rain at times, which made the grass field slippery in places.
At the 8:24 mark of the opening quarter Caldwell ended a nine play, seventy two yards with a fifteen yard run from Drew Ivey,who broke a very weak arm tackle on his way to pay dirt. The point after kick from Caden Moore was no good leaving this a 6-0 game.

The first quarter had 5:14 remaining when the Eagles decided to go for it on fourth and three , the decision turned out to be very bad because
Dalton Wheeler busted into the Eagles backfield and sacked Isiah Fish for a seven yard loss and got the ball back to the Redskins offense.
From there it was a fourteen yard catch by Zeke Liston on an nicely thrown ball by Tanner DeVolld. Then it was a thirty four yard run by Ivey/
The quarter ended with the Redskins up six and ready to score again.

Just ten seconds into the second quarter a two yard run from Devolld made this a 12-0 game. The point after kick was short,keeping this a 12-0 game. At this point of the game, it was apparent that the Redskins had a more complex offense, which had allowed them to ease to the two touchdown lead.

Wheeler would get another sack at the 11:05 mark of the quarter. From there the Redskins defense scaled the Eagles offense and forced a punt. The Eagles offense never got off the ground in the first half as they only gained eighty three yards unofficially.

With 10:04 left in the half Robbie Cool hauled in a pass and picked up fifty four yards.A little over two minutes later a one yard plunge by Devolld made this an 18-0 game.The point after kick was partially blocked and this remained an 18-0 game. Caldwell has a gigantic issue and that is the kicking game. Missing all of you point after kicks in a game like this doesn't hurt, but come crunch time against a good team this is the kind of thing that defeats you.

Eastern who tried to show a passing game, but more times than not it failed in a large way, but with 7:27 left in the half Fish was able to connect with Dylan Creath for a gain of eighteen yards. Overall the passing game would see six balls being completed and two being picked off, with six more being incomplete. Fish should have had one or two more completions, but his receivers did little to help his cause. Fish would throw a pick to Cool, with 7:08 left in the half.

Neither team would do much with the ball in the final 7:08 of the quarter as both defenses took turns flexing their muscles.
As the teams left the field, it was easy to see that the Redskins had this one well in hand, but to the credit of the Eagles, they had never quit giving it all they had, or at least that is the way it looked from my fifty yard line seat.

The Redskins got the third quarter off with a bang, when Dalton Wheeler went sixty five yards for the score.
The point after kick was again blocked and this remained a 24-0 game, with 11:45 left in the quarter.

At the 10:14 mark Robbie Cool picked off a Fish pass to give the ball back to the Redskins offense.
The Eagles had problems running the ball as their offensive line was being beat up by the Redskins defensive line. When trying to throw the ball, a combination of balls being dropped,the quarterback being rushed and the threat of no running game,the Eagles offense had little or no chance to succeed. Some fans will blame the coaching staff because of this, but from one with no ties to the staff or the school, I can say a coach can do only so much.

From the 6:08 mark of the quarter to the 5:33 mark,Caden Moore carried the ball three times and on the third time, he would go two yards for another Redskins score. The point after kick was wide left,leaving this a 30-0 game. The drive took five plays and totaled forty five yards.

With a running clock for most of the final quarter both teams still managed to put up one score each.
The first score came from the Eagles on a eight yard run by Steve Fitzgerald. The point after kick was missed, leaving this a 30-6 game. I liked the way Fitzgerald handed the ball back to the ref after the score and then went about his business.

The Redskins would get a sixty nine yard run from Moore for the final touchdown of the game. The Redskins coaching staff elected to go for two and this was a great decision after the kicking game had failed them all game long and the two point was converted by Moore to make the final score 38-6

Unofficial Stats

Eastern
46 plays
152 yards
Passing 6-12 2 INT'S
6 Penalties

Caldwell
46 plays
370 yards
passing 9-16
6 flags
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Article:Caldwell 38 Reedsville Eastern 6

Pics can be found on my twitter page

DAVID BURNWORTH
@OHIO1981

Or here
https://www.facebook.com/DavidLewisBurn ... 894&type=3

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Nice job, reading your reports is just like being there.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Thanks

Thereddragin
Riding the Bench

Post by Thereddragin »

LCF, you really do a great job wit your articles. I read them all... even if I have zero rooting intrest in the game well done.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Thereddragin wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:25 am LCF, you really do a great job wit your articles. I read them all... even if I have zero rooting intrest in the game well done.
Thanks.

KC Java
Freshman Team

Post by KC Java »

Is it time for a change at East Shade River Stadium?

Jayski
Waterboy

Post by Jayski »

Change another coach...that'll solve everything!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I do not think a coaching change is going to change things at Eastern.
1-Numbers have to increase
2-The players have to believe they can do and have to do more
3-It looked like Eastern really need a lot of weight room work
4-The kids played hard and it never looked like they stopped giving the effort.
That tells me the belief in the coach is still there.
5-Coaches can do only so much. At times its a talent thing.
6-I would dare to say the coach has taught them well
7-With low numbers the tired card does come in to play
8-Easier said than done, but the players have to sale the team to their friends, so they will come out to play. I think the coach has to do even more to recruit his own hallways,to get kids to come out.

KC Java
Freshman Team

Post by KC Java »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 am I do not think a coaching change is going to change things at Eastern.
1-Numbers have to increase
2-The players have to believe they can do and have to do more
3-It looked like Eastern really need a lot of weight room work
4-The kids played hard and it never looked like they stopped giving the effort.
That tells me the belief in the coach is still there.
5-Coaches can do only so much. At times its a talent thing.
6-I would dare to say the coach has taught them well
7-With low numbers the tired card does come in to play
8-Easier said than done, but the players have to sale the team to their friends, so they will come out to play. I think the coach has to do even more to recruit his own hallways,to get kids to come out.
Numbers 2-3 are a coaching thing. Number 1 can be as well if the coach is not doing his best to get more players out.

KC Java
Freshman Team

Post by KC Java »

Jayski wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 am Change another coach...that'll solve everything!
Or just let the same-ole-same-ole continue in anticipation of "that one great class" that will solve everything. :roll:

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I think 1-3 are a case of both parties needing to do more.
Not being mean or having disrespect thrown toward anyone, the bottom line is with this current group of players,not even Tom Landry and his great stff would have much success.

Like I said the players never quit but I.M.O. lack of numbers killed any opportunity they had to succeed in this particular game and I think will be the case more times than not.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Great read

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Thanks Mattash.
I was really tired when I did this one and it was the first time with my new camera.
Its suppose to be an upgrade to my old one. I am not liking it as much, but will keep using it.

hardfowl
All State

Post by hardfowl »

Big crowd last night but the Caldwell athletic department gets nothing. All the gate money ($9.00 per person) went to the fair board and the athletic department had to pay $1500 to use the field. For non-fair games they charge $6.00 admission but still have to pay $1500 for the use of the field plus their other expenses. Any groups entertaining at the fair would have been paid to do so. The fair board should have paid the Caldwell athletic department to bring in that addition revenue. Also, the athletic department maintains the field. How is this allowed to happen!

wagner97
Freshman Team

Post by wagner97 »

Thanks for this great update! Tried listening on radio but it was unbearable.

Nothing like small school football!!!

wagner97
Freshman Team

Post by wagner97 »

hardfowl wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm Big crowd last night but the Caldwell athletic department gets nothing. All the gate money ($9.00 per person) went to the fair board and the athletic department had to pay $1500 to use the field. For non-fair games they charge $6.00 admission but still have to pay $1500 for the use of the field plus their other expenses. Any groups entertaining at the fair would have been paid to do so. The fair board should have paid the Caldwell athletic department to bring in that addition revenue. Also, the athletic department maintains the field. How is this allowed to happen!
Simple extortion if this is true! I’m sure they Fair board would be the first to say that community events like the fair are for the benefit of young persons and the community. Sad that these crooks take advantage of the same people this event should be celebrating. Sad!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

One of my biggest pet peeves at game is the PA announcer and the job they do.
Let's just say I understand unbearable, when it comes to this game.

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

You are correct with your assessment of Eastern football.Great kids, but I don't know if the football mentally is there.Sad part kids are in the school, just don't play.Biddy league football is killing us.Just my opinion.Get tired of playing and quit.First time at Caldwell and it was different.LCF you had to love the essence of cow.😁😁

shelton
Waterboy

Post by shelton »

oldmo31 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:54 am You are correct with your assessment of Eastern football.Great kids, but I don't know if the football mentally is there.Sad part kids are in the school, just don't play.Biddy league football is killing us.Just my opinion.Get tired of playing and quit.First time at Caldwell and it was different.LCF you had to love the essence of cow.😁😁
You’re right! Just because little Johnny and all his buddies went 56-0 from 2nd grade to junior high doesn’t do anything but hurt you’re high school program. Also, what we’ve learned from the last few years is that daddy ball gets you no where, and YOU HAVE TO HAVE ACTUAL COACHING EXPERIENCE to be successful at the varsity level.

Return to “Football”