2019 Vinton County Vikings

Dundas
SEOPS

2019 Vinton County Vikings

Post by Dundas »

Overall I think with the loss of 5 transfers and possibly the best qb in school history, the 2018 Vikings did pretty well. Big wins over playoff qualifier Southeastern and NY, whom we have had a hard time beating. There were some losses that left you scratching your head though. I think beginning the season, a lot of people didn’t think much more than 1-3 wins at most.

The 2019 Vikings will return a lot from this past years team. Obviously losing the leading rusher in the TVC, Cade Sibner, will hurt, but VC returns a lot on the lines and most of the skill position players, including, what will be a sophomore starting qb, Braylon Dameron. Dameron looked pretty good in the second half of the year unde center for the Vikings and so far as a starter is 3-1 overall. There will be a few players returning to the gridiron next year that weren’t out this past year that will make a big impact as well. I’m looking forward to the season already!! VC will have a change in the schedule this year as Minford is gone.

2019 Schedule

Unioto
@Southeastern
@Fairfield Union
@Meigs
Athens
@Alexander
Marietta (replacing Minford)
River Valley
@Nelsonville-York
Wellston

VC finished 10th in region 15 with a 4-6 record in 2018. I think if they can keep the late season momentum going and build off of a good finish, 7 wins would be enough for a week 11 game. It’ll be interesting to see how the offseason plays out. Maybe we can entice some of these transfers to come back home! 😊

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: 2019 Vinton County Vikings

Post by Dundas »

Also, you can check out the Viking RedZone season finale awards show at www.vcvikings.com or on the Podbean app. Congratulations to all of the award winners this year and to our senior athletes! We look forward to next season!

Bringdanoise
Riding the Bench

Post by Bringdanoise »

Was told that the coaches of VC told their players that they had resigned for next season just before the Wellston game. Any truth to this?

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

Bringdanoise wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:55 pm Was told that the coaches of VC told their players that they had resigned for next season just before the Wellston game. Any truth to this?
I hope so. Those guys can coach. Get that guy from SG back if you can. He'll help us.

jgrlzz
Freshman Team

Post by jgrlzz »

Will The Vikings be at Chillicothe Southeastern on Sept 6

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

jgrlzz wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:12 pm Will The Vikings be at Chillicothe Southeastern on Sept 6
Yes.

jgrlzz
Freshman Team

Post by jgrlzz »

Thanks

CubsWin!
Waterboy

Post by CubsWin! »

Bringdanoise wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:55 pm Was told that the coaches of VC told their players that they had resigned for next season just before the Wellston game. Any truth to this?
Why would a new staff resign? From what I have read on here it sounds like they had a solid first year.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

CubsWin! wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:30 am
Why would a new staff resign? From what I have read on here it sounds like they had a solid first year.

This was their 3rd year.

2016 4-6
2017 5-5
2018 4-6

The coaches haven’t resigned to my knowledge but there is a boe meeting tonight. So if they did, we will find out in a few hours.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I was told, and believe it to be true, Coach Downs will be recommended for re-hire.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:36 pm I was told, and believe it to be true, Coach Downs will be recommended for re-hire.
I was hoping the board would clarify one way or the other at last nights meeting. This not knowing until March stuff is getting old. Rumors all over the place about coaches resigning, getting fired. Just clarify whatever direction we’re going so we don’t have another laughing stock of an off-season. It’s gettng old to a lot of people and the boe members should realize this by now. Stop dragging your feet on whatever decision you make and just make one. Voters are paying attention.

Viking Pride
Waterboy

Post by Viking Pride »

How is the boe dragging it's feet? They can't vote on something that hasn't been presented. I'm sure once the administration makes a recommendation, they will vote. Process been this way for years. Coaches are renewed annually.... nothing new.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Viking Pride wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:16 pm How is the boe dragging it's feet? They can't vote on something that hasn't been presented. I'm sure once the administration makes a recommendation, they will vote. Process been this way for years. Coaches are renewed annually.... nothing new.
You’re right. Let’s wait until March to decide and lose 5 more transfers this offseason because that’s the process.

Viking Pride
Waterboy

Post by Viking Pride »

I guess my point is they can't vote on anything until it's presented. Again, once the school makes the recommendation they can vote. Not trying to be difficult, just stating the process.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

I’m sure the board will vote to rehire Coach Downs and his staff. Just look at the records since 2000 at VC. These were all good coaches (Queen has a lot of success in the 90s), VC just hasn’t been blessed with a lot of talent recently. Only 2 winning records in the last 19 years, both under Downs. Downs could lose his next 69 games and he would have the same record as his fellow VC coaches since the turn of the century.

With Downs: 30-31 (49.2%)
W/O Downs: 30-100 (30%)

(Queen)
2000 2-8

(Hemsley)
01 1-9
02 2-8

(Downs)
03 6-4
04 8-3 *playoff season
05 3-7

(Yates)
06 5-5
07 4-6
08 1-9
09 1-9

(Burlson)
10 2-8
11 1-9
12 1-9
13 5-5
14 2-8

(Wellman)
15 3-7

(Downs)
16 4-6
17 5-5
18 4-6

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Viking Pride wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:22 pm I guess my point is they can't vote on anything until it's presented. Again, once the school makes the recommendation they can vote. Not trying to be difficult, just stating the process.
I get that is the process but I think under certain circumstances, the process needs to be sped up. Rumors flying everywhere puts a lot of concern and questions around the program. Much like last year. Then kids leave. I just would like some clarity. Quickly.

In terms of Downs’ numbers at VC. He has the third most wins in school history. Has 2 winning seasons and has been right at 500. VC hasn’t been a football power outside of the mid 80’s to late 90’s and a couple years in the early 2000’s. He also has a 9-2 stint at fed Hock on his resume. So overall, he is above 500 as a head coach. Is that good enough? That’s up to the board.

Viking Pride
Waterboy

Post by Viking Pride »

We'll see how it turns out. One thing I do know is stability builds a program. Basketball is a great example of this. We haven't had that in football. Maybe we will.

I don't post on here much at all, but i enjoy reading your posts and the passion you have for Vinton County, Dundas. Hopefully this situation works out in a positive way for the athletes.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Viking Pride wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:11 pm We'll see how it turns out. One thing I do know is stability builds a program. Basketball is a great example of this. We haven't had that in football. Maybe we will.

I don't post on here much at all, but i enjoy reading your posts and the passion you have for Vinton County, Dundas. Hopefully this situation works out in a positive way for the athletes.
Thanks Pride. I agree, it’s been a revolving door pretty much since VC fired Queen in 2000. Hopefully, whatever happens, is what’s best for the program and the athletes that take part in it. We’ve proven, at one time, to be one of the most consistent and solid programs in SEO. Hopefully we can get back to that level.

wildcat76
Waterboy

Post by wildcat76 »

Where is Matt Queen coaching at now? It is hard to believe VC got rid of him.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

wildcat76 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:00 am Where is Matt Queen coaching at now? It is hard to believe VC got rid of him.
Matt is an assistant at Southeastern. Still lives in McArthur.

Return to “Football”