The future of grass fields

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Re: The future of grass fields

Post by ArmChairQB »

countywide35 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 am small school in NEO....Crestwood Mantua........awesome school and known to always be competitive on a state level.......home of in infamous Jack Lambert.....Lambert said he would never pay for his alma mater to have turf on its field as turf toe plagued the man to the end of his career.....
Jack played on what was basically Concrete covered with indoor outdoor carpet.
I haven’t heard of many players getting turf toe with the synthetic grass fields that are played on today.
I do however think there are more torn ACLs now days.

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

ArmChairQB wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:43 am
countywide35 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 am small school in NEO....Crestwood Mantua........awesome school and known to always be competitive on a state level.......home of in infamous Jack Lambert.....Lambert said he would never pay for his alma mater to have turf on its field as turf toe plagued the man to the end of his career.....
I haven’t heard of many players getting turf toe with the synthetic grass fields that are played on today.
Correct ArmchairQB... It was called Astro turf...it was bad for turf toe for lots of players...Todays synthetic turf is a Cadillac compared to it...Softer with rubber pellets spread into it, and plays almost like real grass... but way less maintenance than real grass....

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

ArmChairQB wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:43 am
I agree with the ACL statement and lambert did play on a not so friendly football field across the OH turnpike in PA. But his statement of not contributing to a cause for artificial playing surface rings volumes with me that the game is intended to be played on natural surfaces. I’m not against the artificial playing surfaces. It’s what the game has turned to

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Nigel Tufnel wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:48 pm I'm personally not a proponent or opponent of field turf, but some resources you might be interested in:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozania ... c8af245db2

https://sites.duke.edu/wcwp/tournament- ... -vs-grass/

https://unrulysports.com/synthetic-arti ... ss-fields/

I leave it to your discretion to determine if there are biases in these sources. Some readily available sources are pretty obviously slanted (i.e. Artificial turf company statements or sod company statements in favor of their products).
Typically the initial turf installation runs around 750K, but I believe replacement if a team doesn't wait to long and everything is still in good condition under the turf runs 300-400K. Typical life expectancy on the turf runs around the 10 years mark or so.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:35 pm I would love too see Green get Turf, it would only help their program.
I find this statement interesting, why would it help their program?? If a kid wants to play football does playing on grass or turf dictate where he'll play?? If someone wants to transfer would putting turf in help?? Very curious as to why it would help?? Talking about a DVII school with budget issues and rumors of them spending 750K on turf seem a bit ridiculous. I said it before I'll believe that one when I see it but heck before the turf they should invest in some decent seating and press box area as well as safe visitor seating. Anytime I've been down to their field it seems like it's in good shape unlike some grass fields I've come across, AKA--Piketon this year. WOW

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:48 pm
Mavrick2016 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:35 pm I would love too see Green get Turf, it would only help their program.
I find this statement interesting, why would it help their program?? If a kid wants to play football does playing on grass or turf dictate where he'll play?? If someone wants to transfer would putting turf in help?? Very curious as to why it would help?? Talking about a DVII school with budget issues and rumors of them spending 750K on turf seem a bit ridiculous. I said it before I'll believe that one when I see it but heck before the turf they should invest in some decent seating and press box area as well as safe visitor seating. Anytime I've been down to their field it seems like it's in good shape unlike some grass fields I've come across, AKA--Piketon this year. WOW
From what I understand Green is replacing their athletic facilities. New football, baseball, softball facilities.
They aren't just getting turf.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:17 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:48 pm
From what I understand Green is replacing their athletic facilities. New football, baseball, softball facilities.
They aren't just getting turf.
I believe it will be from the left over money with the levy’s. If I understood correctly, they will build a new football stadium/track, build new little league fields where the school currently sits, and anything left will deal with the baseball and softball fields. Also I believe their current high school gym will remain standing for middle school basketball, as the middle school and high school both play in their high school gym currently.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

It's my understanding it's all in the level that passed, for their new school,
and up grades on baseball, football and girls softball fields. As an old Bobcat
I want the best for the kids of Green School District.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Those who say grass is better is because they currently play on grass. Turf is great to accommodate bad weather and multiple uses of the field. Ideal for school uses. Cost savings is arguable but there is a lot of cost to upkeep grass.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

rxburgfan wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:05 pm Those who say grass is better is because they currently play on grass. Turf is great to accommodate bad weather and multiple uses of the field. Ideal for school uses. Cost savings is arguable but there is a lot of cost to upkeep grass.
good points

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Hopefully Athens gets a dome with the 90 million dollar levy. Should have made it a rounded 100 million dollars. Doesn’t matter since the left wing nut job college students will vote for anything

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Turf fields are so much better, field conditions do not come into play in a game.

I agree, that just about the only people who say playing on grass is better are those who do not have turf.

I can't believe that all NFL teams do not have turf.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

BBALL99 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:30 pm Turf fields are so much better, field conditions do not come into play in a game.

I agree, that just about the only people who say playing on grass is better are those who do not have turf.

I think there is still a lot of college's teams that play on grass.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:30 pm
BBALL99 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:30 pm Turf fields are so much better, field conditions do not come into play in a game.

Done a little research and 49 d-1 college teams still play on grass. The thing that really surprised me was the ACC and SEC.
ACC 10 grass fields 4 turf fields.
SEC 10 grass fields 4 turf fields.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Warmer climates for longer periods of time.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Most colleges that use grass don't do anything other than play games and a handful of scrimmages on them. They get used about 12 times each fall and a couple in the spring. They have separate practice facilities, with multiple practice fields, plus an indoor field. They have full time grounds crews to take care of them. That just can't happen at the high school level.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

My feelings on grass vs turf are pretty basic. While there are many perks to having turf, there is just something about the smell of fresh cut grass that signifies football. I believe field conditions are part of the game. Home field advantage sometimes comes down to field conditions. I don't see any of the area small schools ever having turf. The upfront cost is high and knowing it will have to be replaced in 10-15 years would keep most/all small schools away from turf anyhow.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Done a little research and 49 d-1 college teams still play on grass. The thing that really surprised me was the ACC and SEC.
ACC 10 grass fields 4 turf fields.
SEC 10 grass fields 4 turf fields.

Even in the midwestern climate that is the Big Ten there are only a few grass fields, Penn St, Mich St, Northwestern, Purdue,

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Love the grass field when it rains or snows.....NOW THAT IS FOOTBALL

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

You know if a school can keep it's grass field intact for all the home games that's a win-win, but that's not happening much any longer.
The trouble with artificial turf is it's gets so hot you can see the steam coming off it. I was on the chain gang at a school and you could see how miserable it must be to tackled on it during late August or early September games.
I'm all for artificial turf, but if i'm the A.D. i'm scheduling games on grass the first weeks of season.
Felt especially bad for the pee wee teams that have to play on turf.

Return to “Football”