Valley at Portsmouth to kick off the season

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Valley at Portsmouth to kick off the season

Post by Crab's Brother »

Valley absolutely owned the line of scrimmage last night. Parker was completely shut down. The Indians just made too many mistakes. Valley committed 3 huge penalties in down and distances where you just can't have them. Those allowed Portsmouth short fields and that was the difference. The Indians had 145 more total yards but lost the game. Valley will be fine going forward as long as some of the kids injured last night get back healthy.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Did Valley do an outstanding job limiting Parker? Absolutely.. no question that run defense is stout. But they did so at the cost of allowing play action pass to be wide open. Roe hooked up with the TE Duncan multiple times because of Parker's presence. Parker was still a game changer even when he was bottled up..

A major concern going into the season was whether or not the Trojans could throw the ball down the field. In his first varsity start, Roe did a fine job of executing the offense. He hooked up with Wallace late to set up the game winning score. He made good decisions to throw the ball away when needed, especially late in the game.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

What a great atmosphere and huge crowd! I'm still trying to figure out how Valley lost that game.... Dominated up front all night long.

That has to be the best Valley defense in many years. They got off blocks and get to the ball fast. I'm seriously wondering if anyone will be able to run the ball on them this season with success. Very athletic.

Very impressive performance by Portsmouth's QB. Spot on accurate even when rolling to his left. He made some huge plays.

Only one question. Why does Valley require their QB to run over near the sideline after every play to get the call? (and he was limping) That has to take a toll. Got to be a better way.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

There were 2-3 Valley lineman or backers in the backfield before Parker even got the handoff. He only really got loose once and that run should have been six if he wouldn't have tripped. Just one play and you can see the playmaking ability. Kid is incredible, wish his o-line was a little better. Congrats to the Trojans, I really thought Valley was gonna pull away but they stayed right there with em

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Great game to watch that’s for sure. Big crowd and weather was amazing. I think Valley will be a solid team this year. They have to be more disciplined, they had several personal foul calls that honestly changed the game. The freshman receiver for Valley is a stud. They played really solid defense, bottled up Parker all night. With that being said, the Portsmouth offensive line pretty much just let the man lined up across from them by. There were 2-3 guys waiting for Parker every time. Same thing happened to Roe, he’s getting chased around in the backfield trying to throw the ball because he had no time. Offensive line for sure needs some big time work. Really impressed with Roe, he was really accurate and didn’t make any costly mistakes. Duncan had a great game receiving. Parker was also huge on both sides of the ball. McKenzie seemed to be in on every tackle. I think the defensive line of Portsmouth played well, secondary was toast, needs a ton of work. Slants ate them up all night. Just glad to see the Trojans never gave up and came away with the win. Good luck to Valley the rest of the season. Huge game next week as the Trojans travel to the worst side!

Who Dey!
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

congratulations to the Trojans and the ovc.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

The kicking game appears to be a major concern for the Trojans. Losing Bowling was a bigger loss than I anticipated.
I disagree with some of the comments about the Trojans secondary. I thought they played quite well at times. There were a couple breakdowns, but I believe this will turn out to be a good group..

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Moses Guthrie wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:16 pm The kicking game appears to be a major concern for the Trojans. Losing Bowling was a bigger loss than I anticipated.
I disagree with some of the comments about the Trojans secondary. I thought they played quite well at times. There were a couple breakdowns, but I believe this will turn out to be a good group..
Kicking game is a major concern. That was a big loss. The offensive line struggled at times but they are all new except one kid. And every team Portsmouth plays will key on Parker. Might as well expect that all year. But what I liked is Portsmouth throwing the ball. They will figure it out. Last night was a good test for all the new kids. Valley was a lot tougher than I expected. If it was last year valley would of won. Lattimore struggled throwing.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Moses Guthrie wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:16 pm The kicking game appears to be a major concern for the Trojans. Losing Bowling was a bigger loss than I anticipated.

Lol you must not have watched the same game I did man, the secondary needs a ton of work. The slant was open all night, not sure why Valley didn’t throw it every play. Not to mention got beat deep twice, 1 PI called on Johnson, should’ve been another in the end zone. They had some decent moments, but they better get it together fast.

Who Dey!
Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 pm [quote="Moses Guthrie" post_id=<a href="tel:1786540">1786540</a> time=<a href="tel:1567188998">1567188998</a> user_id=780]
The kicking game appears to be a major concern for the Trojans. Losing Bowling was a bigger loss than I anticipated.

Lol you must not have watched the same game I did man, the secondary needs a ton of work. The slant was open all night, not sure why Valley didn’t throw it every play. Not to mention got beat deep twice, 1 PI called on Johnson, should’ve been another in the end zone. They had some decent moments, but they better get it together fast.
[/quote]

Agree to disagree. Not quite sure why my positive comment was comical to a Trojan fan. Time will tell how they do. I see an upside.

Yikes
Riding the Bench

Post by Yikes »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:50 pm Congrats to the Trojans. Man valley was better than I expected. There d line was big. Glad to see Portsmouth air it out. Last year I believe this would of been a loss. Rowe for his 1st game did well. Parker didn’t have the yards but his defense was good. Valley threw well and Portsmouth has no pass defense. They need to work on that.
The Trojan's O-Line last year was bigger, stronger, and had way more experience. Last year's O line still would have gotten the job done.

Yikes
Riding the Bench

Post by Yikes »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm
Kicking game is a major concern. That was a big loss. The offensive line struggled at times but they are all new except one kid. And every team Portsmouth plays will key on Parker. Might as well expect that all year. But what I liked is Portsmouth throwing the ball. They will figure it out. Last night was a good test for all the new kids. Valley was a lot tougher than I expected. If it was last year valley would of won. Lattimore struggled throwing.
There are two returning starting O-Linemen. Center - Tanner Queen; Guard - Austin McKenzie

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Yikes wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:15 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm
There are two returning starting O-Linemen. Center - Tanner Queen; Guard - Austin McKenzie
The game started with just queen. I believe McKenzie will be in there now. They will get it figured out.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Not sure of the exact stats but special teams seemed to play a sizeable role in this one. It seemed like Portsmouth won the field position battle most of the night as everything went their way and Valley was living under Murphy's law. I watched one Portsmouth punt sail about 10 or 15 yards through the air and then take every possible bounce and roll another 25 or 30.

Return to “Football”