Final: Jackson 23 Wellston 6

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Week 1...Jackson vs Wellston...The Finale

Post by ironman02 »

My observation is that Jackson didn’t have much interest in playing a football game tonight. That’s part of the reason that it was time for this series to end.

Defense is good, offense is going to struggle until the O-Line starts playing well. Gotta quit turning the ball over. Get better this week and get ready for Athens.

By my count, the series ends 75-27-6 in favor of Jackson. Good luck to Wellston.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

23-6 final

Jackson closes the series (for now) at 75-27-6

108th meeting, not 106th like the 10,000 things printed for the game

Jackson looked great on defense. Wellston couldn’t do much. Our dline guys were kept fresh with rotating and Mitchell Johnson, Joey Richison, Anthony Parks, Caden Humphreys and more were in there all night. Grant Mastin, Treylan Davis, Jayden Spires, Brice Graham making punishing tackle after tackle. Jacob Winters, Graham and Tristan Prater all had interceptions. Grant Mastin had a safety. The defense was spot on 👏👏👏

Special team play was good for Jackson

Offensively was unimpressive. Had some long TD runs by Spires and Graham....Mitchell Johnson ran inspired but Jackson offense seemed to have trouble getting a good rhythm going. Way too many penalties and interceptions/safety. Couple dropped balls on good passes. Fake punt was weird. Offensive line was getting downhill good on the pitch outs to Spires (along with other blockers) and most of the time gave enough time to pass.

Game 1 was a W and game was never in doubt. Discipline must improve. Fewer turnovers are a must.

Great job by the band 👏👏👏

Next up....Athens
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wellston kids played hard. Smith, Bodie, Molihan, Garvin and others manned up all night. Coach seems to be doing a good job. Good Luck the rest of the season

Apollo Creed
Waterboy

Post by Apollo Creed »

Great 1st quarter. Great Defensive effort. Offense was a mess. Got to get better this week. On to Athens!

2Time
Freshman Team

Post by 2Time »

Unfortunately this game played out about how I figured. Rocket offense was lost all night, a lot of false starts, line couldn’t pick up the blitz or keep Jackson D-line out of the back field. Jackson absolutely dominated both sides of the line of scrimmage even when Wellston still had fresh legs. Defensively the rockets tightened up after halftime, a lot to work on but did have some nice moments. Want to give a shout to number 67 for Wellston he came alive through out the game and made some
Good plays.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

It was past time to end this "rivalry" much like the Gallipolis-River Valley matchups end this year also. Will these 2 start playing each other again sometime soon or do both already have other quality opponents lined up for next year and beyond ? I wouldn't think there are many other teams down there size wise (DIII or IV) that have openings .

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:16 pm It was past time to end this "rivalry" much like the Gallipolis-River Valley matchups end this year also. Will these 2 start playing each other again sometime soon or do both already have other quality opponents lined up for next year and beyond ? I wouldn't think there are many other teams down there size wise (DIII or IV) that have openings .
Funny enough I think both have week 3 openings next year lol

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Field position and penaltys killee the rockets. They should be fine

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:17 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:16 pm It was past time to end this "rivalry" much like the Gallipolis-River Valley matchups end this year also. Will these 2 start playing each other again sometime soon or do both already have other quality opponents lined up for next year and beyond ? I wouldn't think there are many other teams down there size wise (DIII or IV) that have openings .
Funny enough I think both have week 3 openings next year lol
Unless both want to schedule a Cincy or C-bus area competitive opponent out of conference ?

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Week 1 in the books. Week 1-2 biggest improvements a team can make. I hope that we find our Identity offensively sooner than later. Defense played well. The little mistakes that are expected in week 1 games were there and they will be addressed I’m sure. Wellston has a nice ball club and the kids never quit. That you can build with Offensively yes they didn’t or couldn’t do much but it had a whole lot to do with the fact Jackson is pretty darn solid on the defense side of the ball. Wellston won’t see many more defenses like Jackson all year. Good luck to both teams. The finale is over and time to go back to work and get better. Awesome crowd tonight in the stadium. Great to see that many people out for it.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Ema
Riding the Bench

Post by Ema »

Not one screen, draw or misdirection by Wellston and nothing to slow Jackson down. It was sprint out and sack over and over.

Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

I thought Jackson's OLs played decent last night. You guys have 'another problem' on offense that needs addressed.

Your #5 played lights out on both sides of the ball. Very good football player.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Made the trip to this final matchup with my work buddy. Huge crowd. I thought Wellston showed more fight for the span of the game. New coach has players sold. They might win 6 or 7 games if they get things crisper on offense. 16 was a playmaker.
Jackson defense was crazy good. Alot of people getting after their offensive line but I thought they were good enough. The one possession they had 3 in the backfield and ran it all the way down the field without much resistance but then fumbled deep. No other drive did they try that set????? I begrudgingly went cause I thought Jackson would win by 40. The team I watched looks like a 6-4 team but like Wellston if figure out offense could win most games with that defense. Does Jackson usually have 30 non players or coaches on their sidelines? It looked like they ran out of seating and just had overflow crowd stand on Jackson sideline haha

Rowdy’s was good!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Pete_Bell wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:09 pm
ironman02 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:15 pm
Pete_Bell wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:09 pm Does anyone know where one could see the result from each year of this series ?
I'll try to post what I have, but I won't be able to do it until later this weekend.
Thanks,

Just curious mostly about the 60’s my father and his brothers played between 61-66 football seasons
I have a full list as a PDF from 2015. I’ll upload it somewhere and post a link.

BigBen
Waterboy

Post by BigBen »

First half looked pretty good. Defense played very well. Offensive line looked improved but needs to toughen up more. Second half was a total different story. Totally uninspired play and play calling. I understand not wanting to finish up this series with a total blowout but just totally laying back on a 20 point or so lead just seems odd, especially for a rivalry game. Jackson just came out second half and clearly just didn’t care anymore and totally uninspired and wanted to wind off the clock. I somewhat understand that because the game was never in question after the first TD, but playing like that in future games will be costly.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

How can Jackson not be inspired to play this game?

gridironfan
Riding the Bench

Post by gridironfan »

This game should’ve been a running clock... Jackson continually prevented themselves from dominating, which in turn allowed Wellston to hang around and have that glimmer of hope there towards the end.

BigBen
Waterboy

Post by BigBen »

BBALL99 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:32 pm How can Jackson not be inspired to play this game?
I know. My thought too. But they sure seemed uninspired, especially the second half...players and coaching.

BigBen
Waterboy

Post by BigBen »

gridironfan wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:34 pm This game should’ve been a running clock... Jackson continually prevented themselves from dominating, which in turn allowed Wellston to hang around and have that glimmer of hope there towards the end.
Jackson was trying their best to play it like a running clock.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

gridironfan wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:34 pm This game should’ve been a running clock... Jackson continually prevented themselves from dominating, which in turn allowed Wellston to hang around and have that glimmer of hope there towards the end.
I think I’ve been to 6-8 of these games in the last 20 years. You’ve basically described everyone except for the Brad Young year when WHS should have won (I wasn’t there in 2010 fwiw).

Return to “Football”