Final: Jackson 31 Athens 26

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Athens (0-1) vs Jackson (1-0)

Post by noreply66 »

Lets stay away from talking about this boy getting into trouble or anyone else.

Thanks.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

amen no reply

after watching Jackson play wellston Saturday I will say Jackson defensive speed outclassed the rockets. I am sure Athens has some more firepower to there team. Should be a good game.

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

Athens wins this . Jackson defense is really good but offense , wow .

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Larry Fine wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:21 pm Athens wins this . Jackson defense is really good but offense , wow .
I haven’t seen Athens at all and only watched Jackson in a scrimmage. My Waverly buddy said Athens has a talented offense. Game at Athens I’ll guess Athens offense way better than Wellston’s.

My guess is Athens 29 to Jackson 14

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

Ed Ott wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:27 pm
Larry Fine wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:21 pm Athens wins this . Jackson defense is really good but offense , wow .
I haven’t seen Athens at all and only watched Jackson in a scrimmage. My Waverly buddy said Athens has a talented offense. Game at Athens I’ll guess Athens offense way better than Wellston’s.

I took in the wellston game out of curiosity. Either Jackson defense is that fast or wellston offense is terrible. Athens will need to score 14. Jackson wont score more than 7 on Athens.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Larry Fine wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:41 pm
Ed Ott wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:27 pm

I took in the wellston game out of curiosity. Either Jackson defense is that fast or wellston offense is terrible. Athens will need to score 14. Jackson wont score more than 7 on Athens.
Jackson looked good in the passing scrimmage but those 7 on 7 don’t portray much of anything. No pressure, more coaches on field than players. Game report had Jackson with several turnovers. I kinda thought Jackson would be tough in the FAC with Hillsboro and my Chillicothe boys but if they can’t run much or take care of ball they might be in a fight for 3rd with Washington and Trace. After last year never thought I’d say that. Hillsboro looked solid in week 1 and partly because they are ok with punting. Turnover can keep a team winning by 7 instead of 30

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Changing to 31-20 Athens

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

Jackson's defense will limit Athens. They might score a couple times. They have the tendency to give up the big play at times and Athens does have some fire power.

Waverly isn't better Jackson and they ran the ball very well against Athens with a young offensive line.
Jackson's offense will be just fine in this one. They have 3 or 4 very capable runners who can carry the rock with success just like the back from Waverly did.
Jackson by a couple scores.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Bring the Heat wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am Jackson's defense will limit Athens. They might score a couple times. They have the tendency to give up the big play at times and Athens does have some fire power.

Waverly isn't better Jackson and they ran the ball very well against Athens with a young offensive line.
Jackson's offense will be just fine in this one. They have 3 or 4 very capable runners who can carry the rock with success just like the back from Waverly did.
Agree with all of this but I wish I had seen Jackson at any point this season/preseason Jackson run the ball down the field and punch it it. Wellston looked helpless and defeated that one drive but then we fumbled. My saving grace in this thought is I know Coach Hall and staff are on it. The offense hasn’t had much flow. They are definitely working on it and each week and opponent likely calls for a certain attack. Athens didn’t have much success against Shoemaker so I doubt they’ll have much fun with Spires, Graham, Parks and Johnson.....but I guarantee Athens is working on that part of their game. That can be hard to fix though if the other team is committed to running but also has a deep threat and passing attack.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

...... and Athens hasn't played defense against teams their size in eons. They have the Big-12 mentality of "basketball on turf" trying to outscore everyone but play very little defense. Maybe the TVC has spoiled them over the last decade. Even in the Burrow years if they would have shown a defense in the playoffs a title would have been their's because he was that good at the high school level. They were 8-3 in the playoffs those 3 years and scored 500 pts. (Avg 45.4) and gave up 409 pts. (Avg 37.2) but in the games that knocked them out those 3 years, the defense gave up an average of 57.2 ppg. No QB can keep up with that. I know, that was then and this is now but seems to me they still have the same philosophy today. Just my opinion.
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Good luck to The Bulldogs from TVC-Ohio country!

Once A Raider, Always A Raider!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:55 pm Series History since 2000:
2000: Jackson 38 Athens 7
2001: Jackson 54 Athens 33
2002: Athens 18 Jackson 14
2003: Jackson 39 Athens 36
2004: Jackson 28 Athens 14
2005: Jackson 42 Athens 21
2006: Jackson 69 Athens 13
2007: Jackson 63 Athens 19
2008-10: No game
2011: Playoffs
Jackson 27 Athens 7
2012: Athens 21 Jackson 14
2013: Athens 49 Jackson 0
2014-2018: No Game
WTH was going on in Athens after Gregory graduated? Jackson was 6-4 in 06 and 07 and won 69-13 and 63-19. Not our best teams.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Bring the Heat wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am Jackson's defense will limit Athens. They might score a couple times. They have the tendency to give up the big play at times and Athens does have some fire power.

Athens lives on the big play, so Jackson can't give up too many of them. But the bulldogs will find ways to score, they are too good not to. Jackson will need to create a turnover or two and capitalize to win this one. Waverlys defense in the second half shut them out, but Athens was driving the ball and had it on the 30 or 20 of Waverly and the bulldogs threw a pick which led to the winning drive for the tigers.

And Waverly did have success on the ground with a young line. But their rb is definitely one of the very best in the area and he made multiple bulldogs miss all night long. What really allowed Waverly to beat Athens was they just flat out wore them down. When the Tigers were able to move the ball more consistently in the second half it allowed them to go hurry up and Athens just couldn't keep up. They were dead. Not sure what kind of offense Jackson runs but hopefully they have a quick strike ability if they want to win this one.

Plus, idk how you can say Waverly isn't better than Jackson or vice versa until maybe after this one is over.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:09 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:22 am
countywide35 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:23 am If Jackson will be Jackson the game maybe worse than we think. The offensive unknowns will keep people guessing. Making you prepare for 2-3different things but it takes an awfully good group of kids to be able to do that and even at that high school level it’s very tough to do. Hope they find some success in one of their identities. Athens has never been a physical type program and just don’t see them being able to play Jackson physicality for 4qrters. Jackson defense not have always been good against the pass through the years but getting a hungry all-state defensive player added back to an already smothering defense Jackson should be able to take it to a athens on the scoreboard as well as on the field. Jackson 28-14
Never?

Athens - 49
Jackson - 0

Athens - 21
Jackson - 14

... The results of the last two meetings.

BTW, the games in '89 and '90 were absolute slobber knockers ,,, both teams very physical.
Ehh, point taken from countywide35. No harm in generalizing that the Ironman are known for a ground and pound offense and stingy defense. No harm in generalizing that the Bulldogs are known for their offense and not their defense (remember Athens scored what almost 60 points in the state finals and lost). So I get countywide's comment. Can't pick 2 games from 30 years ago from the old SEOAL days and say that represents what the team is like now. I assume the last two meetings mentioned were the Burrow era. What about the ones in between or during the 80-90 or so years in the SEOAL who leads the series? My guess the Ironmen have twice as many league titles as Athens.

The game will be interesting (I saw the Ironton scrimmage with Jackson). Defensively Jackson may struggle with all the underneath passing stuff Athens will throw at them, and I expect Athens to try and capitalize on Jackson's defense pursuit with some screens. Jackson will probably be Jackson and make it a physical contest and be content with 4+ yards a carry...Athens will counter with stacking the box...I think this will be a good game overall. At end of day I will trust Larry Hall to have his defense group ready, and it will be up to the Jackson offense to put up some points. High teens or low twenties sort of game with the Ironmen winning. .

well said....no stab on the bulldogs in my post and thank you for clarifying that. I see Larry Hall having his defense swarming to the ball and the way to keep the high throwing Athens offense contained is keeping them off the field and by doing so with some good 9-10 play 60,70yrd drives that take 6:00-7:00mins off the clock. Punishing drives.....hard to score with the offense on the sidelines.....and with a game played like that in a Jackson/Athens game... ill go with the Ironmen every time…..

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Athens lives on the big play, so Jackson can't give up too many of them. But the bulldogs will find ways to score, they are too good not to. Jackson will need to create a turnover or two and capitalize to win this one. Waverlys defense in the second half shut them out, but Athens was driving the ball and had it on the 30 or 20 of Waverly and the bulldogs threw a pick which led to the winning drive for the tigers.

And Waverly did have success on the ground with a young line. But their rb is definitely one of the very best in the area and he made multiple bulldogs miss all night long. What really allowed Waverly to beat Athens was they just flat out wore them down. When the Tigers were able to move the ball more consistently in the second half it allowed them to go hurry up and Athens just couldn't keep up. They were dead. Not sure what kind of offense Jackson runs but hopefully they have a quick strike ability if they want to win this one.

Plus, idk how you can say Waverly isn't better than Jackson or vice versa until maybe after this one is over.
Ball control, clock, use the big bodies, run run run and wear'em down on defense. Jackson is always bigger than Waverly so use it. Athens is a finesse and quickness team on defense. Carry'em down the field on your back a few times for 10-15 yds a pop and it'll plum tucker them out. Simple :o

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Where's is Paladin at? Golden opportunity to talk about "cut and run" and the old SEOAL days.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I have received word that if Jackson plays a turnover free game and wins by 14+....he will shave his head

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:51 pm I have received word that if Jackson plays a turnover free game and wins by 14+....he will shave his head
lol, I have him pictured with a bad comb over and a purple jersey from the 60's on

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dandy Don wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:53 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:51 pm I have received word that if Jackson plays a turnover free game and wins by 14+....he will shave his head
lol, I have him pictured with a bad comb over and a purple jersey from the 60's on
I would like to see that. Feel free to message me lol

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

You are correct I can't say for sure that Waverly isn't better than Jackson.

I was just forming my own hypothesis. It was nice when it was settled on the field in Week-2.
Waverly ended the series after the 2014 season and it was the right move for them at that time.

I am sticking with my highly educated guess on this one though. Have to stick with the Ironmen.

Return to “Football”