Wheelersburg 21 - 20 Minford

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Re: Week 6: SOCII Burg @ Minford

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:04 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:34 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:51 am So I have a question to Minford fans.....

Through 5 weeks, the case can be made that EVL is the best player in the conference. At the least he's in the conversation with Matthews and Shoe. My question is, what did he do this off season to get so much better? I watched Minford week 10 of last season and Valley just dominated the Falcon offense. Was he not ready last year? Was the other kid better at that point?
I think that the vast consensus from Minford people would be that EVL should have hands down been the starter last year.

I think Mathews is a really good player. Since they play different positions on the field its hard to compare the two, but having watched both, EVL is easily as good at his position as Mathews is at his respective position. So I think the case can certainly be made that he is one of the top players in the conference this year.
Kinda what I was thinking. Weird that the best player wasn't playing.
He did do a lot in the off season tho, between traveling for baseball he still found time to put on 10 pounds of muscle. And I think a lot of that was just becoming more physically mature.

MClaw
Freshman Team

Post by MClaw »

The better EVL gets the worse coach Ruby looks for not starting him last year. IMO

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Kids grow and mature. And perhaps sometimes you simply start the wrong kid.

He is the reason I’m picking Minford to win though

28-17 Falcons

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

MClaw wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:41 pm The better EVL gets the worse coach Ruby looks for not starting him last year. IMO
Yep. Reason #1 why you play the best kid and not make deals with parents to get one kid to play football

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

This is such an intriguing game. Minford 💯 has the skill set to beat Wheelersburg. If the O line for minford can control the LOS Minford has a great shot at the upset. Yes I said upset , records aside Wheelersburg has played a much much tougher schedule.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

MClaw wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:41 pm The better EVL gets the worse coach Ruby looks for not starting him last year. IMO
As good as Vogelsong is playing right now, imagine him with an additional 10 games of starting QB experience. Hindsight always 20/20, but not too many people thought Minford was a playoff team prior to last year. And definitely wouldn't been much complaining if the coaches started the sophomore QB last year for development purposes over a senior QB on a team not going anywhere, especially if the talent of the two players comparable (which it was).*

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:12 pm
As good as Vogelsong is playing right now, imagine him with an additional 10 games of starting QB experience. Hindsight always 20/20, but not too many people thought Minford was a playoff team prior to last year. And definitely wouldn't been much complaining if the coaches started the sophomore QB last year for development purposes over a senior QB on a team not going anywhere, especially if the talent of the two players comparable (which it was).*
EVL would’ve started last year at almost every other school around here. Obviously should’ve been the minford QB and the QB should’ve been a slot/receiver type. If it’s true that outside influences determined who started , then it’s clear why minford teeters around the .500 mark.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I'm looking at this objectively here. Minford strengths are Burgs weaknesses. Burg CANNOT defend the run between the tackles. This may be the year Minford gets its, what, 9th win all time? I don't ever pick against my Pirates, but this year, I think Minford wins, by 14 nonetheless.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:18 pm I'm looking at this objectively here. Minford strengths are Burgs weaknesses. Burg CANNOT defend the run between the tackles. This may be the year Minford gets its, what, 9th win all time? I don't ever pick against my Pirates, but this year, I think Minford wins, by 14 nonetheless.
How did Burg run the ball vs Ashland and greenup?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Burg has played a much tougher schedule so far . The only common opponent is Greenup.
Minford won 45-27
Burg won 38-7

Huge game for both programs .

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:20 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:18 pm I'm looking at this objectively here. Minford strengths are Burgs weaknesses. Burg CANNOT defend the run between the tackles. This may be the year Minford gets its, what, 9th win all time? I don't ever pick against my Pirates, but this year, I think Minford wins, by 14 nonetheless.
In all seriousness what does the burgs D do well?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

fbnut wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:43 pm
Everything

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

:roll:
Poo Bear wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:51 pm
fbnut wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Everything

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burgs defense isn’t that bad. They defend the pass very well imo but struggle with big physical backs. They were able to defend Ashland’s run because the backs weren’t big. Jackson’s and irontons backs are huge. We would get there but just weren’t physically able to get them down. Burgs two corners are very undersized but fast. Their outside linebackers aren’t much bigger. Burg will fare better tackling Minford. But Minford will be able to get yards on the ground.

Burg Bias
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Bias »

I honestly think it’s a bit premature to start shoveling dirt on the Pirates grave. That was a D3, playoff caliber, undefeated team The Burg was going against last week. This team still has speed all over the field and one of the best coaching staffs in SEO. Count them out at your peril. This is the first league game and they will be jacked up and ready to play on Friday.
Go Burg!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Minfords toughest game on schedule so far as been Wheelersburgs easiest and Wheelersburg beat them by a bigger margain. I know that means nothing Friday but since it’s monday we have to talk about something. Burg is down a little after a great run and have lost to Hartley , and Ironton / Jackson who are having up years . Burg isn’t bad at any aspect . However I do believe that minford is a much improved team also . My 2 cents

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

wobycat wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:15 pm Burgs defense isn’t that bad. They defend the pass very well imo but struggle with big physical backs. They were able to defend Ashland’s run because the backs weren’t big. Jackson’s and irontons backs are huge. We would get there but just weren’t physically able to get them down. Burgs two corners are very undersized but fast. Their outside linebackers aren’t much bigger. Burg will fare better tackling Minford. But Minford will be able to get yards on the ground.
You are correct about the corners and Pirates. I think Burg lacks in the LB area. Of course we are used to some real big hitters and tough backers the past 5 years or more. They did do well against Ashland but still gave up big chunk plays that kept the Ashland O on the field. That's what Burg has struggled with defensively. Getting off the field. And the Offense has struggled to sustain drives long enough to give them a break. The dline may be one of the best we've had in a while. We just don't have the linebackers to clean up. I'm not shoveling dirt on the Pirates grave. I'm just looking objectively on the current situation. Burg has issues that need fixed if they want to make the playoffs.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

GridIronFacts99 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:17 pm Will the moderators coddle Burgs fan base more if they lose again?

Didn't know they moonlighted as Burgs online security force. Lol
Mods are pretty good at getting rid of the trouble makers

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:21 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:15 pm Burgs defense isn’t that bad. They defend the pass very well imo but struggle with big physical backs. They were able to defend Ashland’s run because the backs weren’t big. Jackson’s and irontons backs are huge. We would get there but just weren’t physically able to get them down. Burgs two corners are very undersized but fast. Their outside linebackers aren’t much bigger. Burg will fare better tackling Minford. But Minford will be able to get yards on the ground.
You are correct about the corners and Pirates. I think Burg lacks in the LB area. Of course we are used to some real big hitters and tough backers the past 5 years or more. They did do well against Ashland but still gave up big chunk plays that kept the Ashland O on the field. That's what Burg has struggled with defensively. Getting off the field. And the Offense has struggled to sustain drives long enough to give them a break. The dline may be one of the best we've had in a while. We just don't have the linebackers to clean up. I'm not shoveling dirt on the Pirates grave. I'm just looking objectively on the current situation. Burg has issues that need fixed if they want to make the playoffs.
Your 5 weeks into the season if you haven’t tackled well all season I’m not sure all the sudden your going to start

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

GridIronFacts99 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:22 pm
Burg Bias wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:17 pm I honestly think it’s a bit premature to start shoveling dirt on the Pirates grave. That was a D3, playoff caliber, undefeated team The Burg was going against last week. This team still has speed all over the field and one of the best coaching staffs in SEO. Count them out at your peril. This is the first league game and they will be jacked up and ready to play on Friday.
Go Burg!
Where is all this speed at exactly? 😂😂😂
I’ll agree with you there because I haven’t seen it either except Mathews

Return to “Football”