Wheelersburg 21 - 20 Minford

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Re: Week 6: SOCII Burg @ Minford

Post by Larry Fine »

If minford will be physical with Wheelersburg they will fold and quit.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

You can’t blame the rest of the SOC for having hope.

Minford posters have been pretty casual towards this game. It’s the crazies coming in who have bent this thread towards “getting even”.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:08 pm You can’t blame the rest of the SOC for having hope.

Minford posters have been pretty casual towards this game. It’s the crazies coming in who have bent this thread towards “getting even”.
I agree. It's the normal pot stirrers. I think it's going to be a good game Friday. Should be a dandy. Just don't expect Burg to look quite so vulnerable when all of a sudden we are better man for man moving forward unlike the last 5 weeks

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:20 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:01 am
burgfella69 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 am

The ELITE talent pool at Wheelersburg is drying up. Their reign of state dominance is coming to an end. Burg people can't seem to understand that the best and most talented groups to ever come through Wheelersburg have graduated in the past two years (not to mention the few classes in front of them weren't too bad). There's going to be a drop off. Didn't expect 2-3 with the possibility of 5-5 but still, we've gotten too comfortable.
Still see good talent coming up at Wheelersburg, but agreed that there are no ELITE Tanner Holden-types in the pipeline from what I've seen. Not surprising as Holden was one of the best athletes to ever come out of Scioto County (let alone Wheelersburg) and a D1 prospect in 2 sports that made players around him better. Regardless, still believe Burg will always be near the top of SOC in football, but yearly expectations of Regional Finals or beyond aren't realistic. Most of Burg fans I know realize this, but a few I talk to don't seem to get it.*
The few might be suffering from recency bias.

Wheelersburg has been to 6 straight Regional Finals
They are 17-5 in the playoffs in these last 6 years.

17 playoff wins in the last 6 years. How big is that stat? Only 3 other teams in the SouthEast district have won 17 playoff games EVER.

Ironton 45
Wheelersburg 38
Trimble 17
Sheridan 17

5th all time in Southeast Ohio has 12. 3 guesses on which school it is?
I would take the 3 guesses as Valley, Coal Grove, or Nelsonville-York.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Coal Grove 7
NY 11
Valley 12. Correct!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:27 am Also, I don't put Clinton Massie in with SEO football, more with the Western teams around Cincy and Dayton, so IMO Burg and Ironton are the cream othe crop in SEO football over the years. Burg has been the more dominate team over the last decade but Ironton was the team to beat before that.
Laser Breath said Southern Ohio, not Southeastern Ohio, and Clinton Massie is most certainly in So. Ohio. My wife's family is from there, and it would remind you of hanging out in Minford or South Webster. Mostly a farming community, salt of the earth kinda folks.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:00 pm ELITE talent is few and far between in these parts. There have been maybe a handful of kids that I would consider in that category in the past 30 years. I think Wheelersburg does have some good players coming up but unfortunately there aren't any Tanner Holdens walking the halls at this point. That doesn't mean we wont be successful on the field. We will continue to field playoff caliber teams that will most likely compete for the region in the near future. JMO.
I agree ELITE talent is pretty rare, just curious if you've seen the freshmen running the ball in the JV games? I wouldn't say they are elite at this point but potentially...maybe...can't wait to find out!

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

522Pirate wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:47 pm
spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:00 pm ELITE talent is few and far between in these parts. There have been maybe a handful of kids that I would consider in that category in the past 30 years. I think Wheelersburg does have some good players coming up but unfortunately there aren't any Tanner Holdens walking the halls at this point. That doesn't mean we wont be successful on the field. We will continue to field playoff caliber teams that will most likely compete for the region in the near future. JMO.
I agree ELITE talent is pretty rare, just curious if you've seen the freshmen running the ball in the JV games? I wouldn't say they are elite at this point but potentially...maybe...can't wait to find out!
I have seen the Freshman on the JV team and yes, they are a good group of athletes, who will have a lot of success in the next four years. In my opinion it is pretty apparent when a kid is elite. I think if they were, they would find a spot or two for them to contribute on the varsity level but that just isn't the case. I think they will develop into a good group of athletes that will win a lot of games, not so much because of star power but because their teams will be solid top to bottom for the next few years.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Spider can you tell me what Holdens numbers were his Freshman year on Varsity? I didn't think he played much.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I can't really remember...did Holden start varsity his freshman year? Even if they don't end up being elite, I don't see the talent pool dropping off much at all. Perhaps we won't have that kid that is elite, but top to bottom I think the teams should come along nicely the next several seasons. Anyway, I like our chances this Friday in another tough game and can't wait to watch it!

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Blitz wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:23 pm Spider can you tell me what Holdens numbers were his Freshman year on Varsity? I didn't think he played much.
Yea he didn't play much but did contribute in spots. I think he ended up playing more in the playoffs than he did during the regular season. Caught a TD in the regional final game against Zane Trace that year.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:30 pm
Blitz wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:23 pm Spider can you tell me what Holdens numbers were his Freshman year on Varsity? I didn't think he played much.
Yea he didn't play much but did contribute in spots. I think he ended up playing more in the playoffs than he did during the regular season. Caught a TD in the regional final game against Zane Trace that year.
I'm pretty sure that catch against ZT was the only play he got. The way he laid out to catch it though you could tell he was going to be special.

Burg coaches just don't really play Freshman much on varsity. In reality they haven't really needed to. In the case this year if the Sanderlin kid is the better player than why not give him a shot. You're never going to know unless you try it.

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

Only elitist people would sit around and call their kids “elite” , I assume you mean elite compared to all the other area kids. Would you listen to yourself?

I would think a junior who signed with Ohio State would be considered “elite” , not some kid in the JV team 😂

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Larry Fine wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 pm Only elitist people would sit around and call their kids “elite” , I assume you mean elite compared to all the other area kids. Would you listen to yourself?

I would think a junior who signed with Ohio State would be considered “elite” , not some kid in the JV team 😂
He hasn’t signed. He’s a verbal commitment. Larry, your just not real bright.....

Stop trolling

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:55 pm
Larry Fine wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 pm Only elitist people would sit around and call their kids “elite” , I assume you mean elite compared to all the other area kids. Would you listen to yourself?

He hasn’t signed. He’s a verbal commitment. Larry, your just not real bright.....

Stop trolling
Sorry didn’t mean to interrupt . Go back to you “elite” conversation

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Just because he signed with OSU means nothing at all. If memory serves me correctly the last few that have signed out of Ironton haven't fared to well.

Arden, Delong, Jackson and some others didn't really light it up at the tOSU. I guess as long as they got a free education out of it that's all that really matters but didn't most of them leave early?

Myself and the rest of the area would nothing more that to see the young man succeed at tOSU but until that happens, stop beating the dead horse of he signed at Ohio State. We all know that.

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:59 pm Just because he signed with OSU means nothing at all. If memory serves me correctly the last few that have signed out of Ironton haven't fared to well.

Arden, Delong, Jackson and some others didn't really light it up at the tOSU. I guess as long as they got a free education out of it that's all that really matters but didn't most of them leave early?

Myself and the rest of the area would nothing more that to see the young man succeed at tOSU but until that happens, stop beating the dead horse of he signed at Ohio State. We all know that.

Hope your “elite” JV kids do much better

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Larry Fine wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:04 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:59 pm Just because he signed with OSU means nothing at all. If memory serves me correctly the last few that have signed out of Ironton haven't fared to well.

Excuse me friend, but your Pirate envy is showing again...and I would actually agree with you that the young man you are referencing is elite (for around here), I just didn't see ironton in the title of this thread.

Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

Larry Fine wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Larry, come to grips with yourself man! You know you are a "closet" Burg fan! I'm more than willing to send you a Burg shirt and ball cap...you're on our threads more than Burg fans! Come join us Larry, no need to torture yourself...now close your eyes, click your heels three times and say..."there's no place like Burg"..."there's no place like Burg"..."there's no place like Burg"... there now, don't you feel better?

KSW
Riding the Bench

Post by KSW »

If Minford can play physical power football they will win.

Return to “Football”