Ridgewood v Portsmouth

hammer89
Freshman Team

Re: WK11: #7 Portsmouth Trojans(8-2) @ #2 Ridgewood Generals 10-0

Post by hammer89 »

biggdowgg wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:38 pm It's refreshing to finally see a thread with "both teams that are playing" talking with confidence and not cockiness and keeping it respectfully.

Sounds like Ridgewood is a very good team with some good athletes , Portsmouth also has some great skill players in Parker , Purdy , Roe and a few others , Portsmouth problem all year as stated is Defense , if they play like they did at Fairland we could very well be in the game .

Best of luck to both teams and hope everyone stays healthy.

I will comment on burg and Ironton on their thread s
The Wood plays with an attitude, especially at home. Some would call it cocky I guess. But the current coaching staff has been there a long time and I have never seen them disrespect an opponent. No one can ever accuse them of running up the score. The head coach is brutally honest when asked his assessment of how his team stacks up against an opponent. Most Wood fans are knowledgeable and passionate about their team. I have no doubt the Portsmouth fans that make the trip will be treated politely and respectfully.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Have enjoyed this group of Trojan football seniors through the years. Very hard nosed, hard working group..
Seniors.. Put in a great week of preparation. Hold nothing back and have no regrets.
Go Trojans!!!

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

ridgewood does seem like they have a good coach I hear some speeches he gives the kids when I watch there videos on storied rivals and they don’t seem to make a lot of mistakes and beat themselves

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Amicis_Addict
Waterboy

Post by Amicis_Addict »

I can assure Portsmouth fans who make the drive will be treated respectfully. We know how tough it is to make those drives. When 7pm rolls around we will be loud and we will try to get into your heads, but you will always be respected.

Wood Grad ‘12
Keep the Wood Train a rollin’
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I did hear the Ridgewood coach tell his kids he thinks they are the most talented group he ever had on one of their videos on YouTube

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Go Trojans. Rep 740

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
orange20hd
Waterboy

Post by orange20hd »

Ridgewood always respects the team they play. Coach to my knowledge has never ran the score up on any team. Other teams lay claim that Ridgewood is arrogant, but it just an attitude of winning. Ridgewood plays music to get their team to play with a winning attitude from intro music to the end of the game. Again safe travels to Portsmouth and hopes for a great injury free game.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

I cannot believe all this buildup that Ridgeway is getting. If their schedule was so tough, they wouldn't have finished third in the region. I wish Portsmouth all the luck I hope they can wear Ridgeway out! I'm sure they'll give a good accounting of themselves

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Ridgewood can be confident or cocky, doesn’t matter. They are 10-0 they earned it, but I’ll guarantee you Portsmouth will come out swinging, maybe even show a bit of an attitude themselves. I expect Portsmouth to play with an edge, a chip on their shoulders. Parker needs to be fed!

DaWoodSoldier
Riding the Bench

Post by DaWoodSoldier »

kantucky wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:04 pm I cannot believe all this buildup that Ridgeway is getting. If their schedule was so tough, they wouldn't have finished third in the region. I wish Portsmouth all the luck I hope they can wear Ridgeway out! I'm sure they'll give a good accounting of themselves

It’s Ridgewood...they are well aware of the caliber of football in southeastern ohio(they are 2-6 vs teams from this area in playoffs)...Their schedule was not tough...they are 2nd in region, not 3rd.

Any true Wood fan knows this Region runs through Burg and Ironton. But most importantly the Wood is well aware they face a solid team in Portsmouth and the caliber of player Parker is.

With that said, Wood will come to play.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

I am not necessarily saying that about Ridgeway fans

Knowitall222
Waterboy

Post by Knowitall222 »

kantucky wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:40 pm I am not necessarily saying that about Ridgeway fans

Who are you saying it about?

Just because another team is getting recognition don't get all tore up , they still talking about your tigers over on their own threads if you want a peace or Ridgewood wait your turn if they make and you make it then start your own thread

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Knowitall222 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:48 pm
kantucky wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:40 pm I am not necessarily saying that about Ridgeway fans

Who are you saying it about?

Just because another team is getting recognition don't get all tore up , they still talking about your tigers over on their own threads if you want a peace or Ridgewood wait your turn if they make and you make it then start your own thread
oh, I'm sorry, do I pay a fine or something now?

ohioriverfisher
Waterboy

Post by ohioriverfisher »

Good luck Portsmouth, let's get that upset!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

kantucky wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:04 pm I cannot believe all this buildup that Ridgeway is getting. If their schedule was so tough, they wouldn't have finished third in the region. I wish Portsmouth all the luck I hope they can wear Ridgeway out! I'm sure they'll give a good accounting of themselves
You ok?? Well let's start with Ridgewood finished #2 in the region and that's without playing any of those KY teams. No their schedule wasn't that tough outside of 2 playoff bound teams #2 Indian Valley who finished 9-1 and the Wood beat them 31-9 and another tough team in #6 Garaway who was 8-2 and wood beat them 46-7. Portsmouth beat 1 team with a winning record at 6-4 and won 20-12, so the comparison is in the fact that while no ridgewood didn't play some wheelersburg type schedule they handled their business against some really good teams and just flat out beat them with ease.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

I was going start a thread about Kentucky football teams. For years I heard fans bashing the Tigers for playing Kentucky schools but let’s face it. The two toughest schools we faced this year WERE Ky schools, most of the schools in southern Ohio couldn’t compete with Ashland or Russell this year

My comments were directed probably to Portsmouth fans counting their team out before the game is even played

RaceEagle
Waterboy

Post by RaceEagle »

It seems for the most part that this thread has been very respectful. That's how it should be. Portsmouth, just like Ridgewood, has earned the right to play in week 11. I feel like you can throw everything out the window when playoffs roll around. I think it should be a very competitive, hard fought game. There's nothing like playoff football. Hopefully the Trojan faithful will make the trip, although it is extremely long, Saturday. Sometimes I enjoy those long trips and to go somewhere I haven't been before to see how things are done there. Every high school town has a different culture. Best of luck to both teams Saturday night.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

This Portsmouth fan is rooting for the Trojans. Every team is 0-0 today. Can the Trojans win? Yes they can but it won’t be easy. If they win. Next week gets harder and harder. I’m proud of them and look forward to the drive to Ridgewood. Win or lose those kids played there hearts out. Nobody predicted them to be here. All I heard was the line will stink. Kids graduated. They have accomplished there goal and hope to keep shocking people.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

RaceEagle wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:32 am It seems for the most part that this thread has been very respectful. That's how it should be. Portsmouth, just like Ridgewood, has earned the right to play in week 11. I feel like you can throw everything out the window when playoffs roll around. I think it should be a very competitive, hard fought game. There's nothing like playoff football. Hopefully the Trojan faithful will make the trip, although it is extremely long, Saturday. Sometimes I enjoy those long trips and to go somewhere I haven't been before to see how things are done there. Every high school town has a different culture. Best of luck to both teams Saturday night.
I love going places I never been. And meeting opposing fans.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'll be listening on the radio........a 3 hour one way drive and sitting in really cold weather, colder than the Ironton game, will keep me in Portsmouth. I drove to Middletown Madison last year, and that was a L....O....N.....G drive. I won't do that again, unless it's for the state championship.

As far as the game, hopefully the Trojans will put last Friday's nights game vs. Ironton behind them and have a great week of practice. It's not a revelation to say the Portsmouth MUST take advantage of any Ridgewood mistakes, and play with no turnovers or untimely penalties. Anybody who has watched the Trojans multiple times this season knows what they are capable of. With Talyn Parker, PHS has the home run hitter who can be a game changer. QB Drew Roe has had a very good season, and the game against Ironton might actually work in Drew's favor. He faced a very stingy, physical defense which should be good preparation for this week.

Ridgewood is the favorite, playing at home in frigid conditions, but Portsmouth is very capable of coming home win a win. Playing mistake free football gives PHS a much better chance of having a happy bus ride home.

GO TROJANS!! PROUD OF OUR TROJAN WARRIORS!!
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Football”